Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Earplugs or NCH for F1 race?? Any other suggestions to bring to track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Earplugs or NCH for F1 race?? Any other suggestions to bring to track?

I am going to my first F1 race next weekend at Montreal. I am VERY excited despite the farty car sounds.

Quick question. I am of course bringing ear plugs but I am wondering if things like Bose noise canceling headphones are a worthwhile thing to bring. Do they work with track noise?

We are planning on bringing a small backpack, a small cooler with food, binoculars, and rain poncho to each day at the track. Are there any glaring omissions? One site I read suggested bringing an FM radio to listen in. I'm also wondering if it would be worthwhile to buy a data package for my smartphone (I'm US) so that I can find some sort of online race live info.

We will be in grandstand 11 which should have views of T1 and T2.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:43 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

I will also be in Montreal this coming weekend. Have gone every year except 1 since 1988. I always sit in Grandstand 24 (exit of the hairpin opposite end of the track from you). A lot of people bring coolers, but the grandstand seating is so tight that you will need to put where your legs go and then you have no room. Honestly, it just always seems such a pain in the ***. Certainly bring the backpack. I dont know how much you"ll use binoculars, but as long as not bulky, bring them. Yes, bring a rain jacket as the weather can change in an instant (although if it starts pouring like it did race day several years ago, nothong will keep you dry). As for the FM radio, I never used as in the past the cars were so loud that you couldnt hear. There will be jumbotrons so you"ll see the world feed and whats going on anyway, and they do announce over loudspeakers whats going on. I always use earplugs (29NRR) and I'd say thats the simplest and easiest way to go...plus again you arent carrying all kinds of stuff because thats just a pain and no room. Make sure you bring or buy a hat and be sure to bring sunscreen. The days can be long and little to no relief from the sun. If you are staying in the city, absolutely take the metro. Dont know if you are driving back after the race...what I always do is park over in Longeuile (sp) which is the next metro stop out of the city after the track, that way going the other direction from the crowd and not having to go back into the city or make the godawful walk to the parking area for race day (at least 3 miles). You'll beat everyone to the border. One last suggestion - on Friday at least, make the trek down to the hairpin. On the back side where the rowing basis is, is where the pits are for all the support races as I understand the F1 historic cars will be there. Absolutely worth seeing and completely full access. I'll be there with my 16yr old son (its been our "trip" for about 8 years now) and staying in the city at the Chateau Champlain - let me know if you wanna catch up at the track and have other suggestions as well. Have a great trip !!
Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

THANKS for the tips! We will definitely walk down to the other end of the track. I'm a huge fan of vintage machinery.
I believe my travel agent (read: my wife) has us at the Vogue hotel.
I'm really pumped for my first F1 experience!!!!
Old 06-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts

Dave, you'll have a great time. As suggested above, a soft sided cooler/backpack is the way to go. You can bring your own (good) lunch and drinks and avoid getting hosed at the kiosks. Cans or plastic only - which Natalie and Ian B. have been known to put to good use. Some of the finest French wines have been enjoyed from soda bottles - go figure.

Hat/Suncreen and you're all set. We'll be a large group in 24 for all 3 days.

PM sent.

Cheers

Matt
Old 06-01-2014, 06:32 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I take a race scanner and in ear radio plugs. It's great to listen in on the tv feeds even during commercials the banter is pretty interesting.worked well with the louder cars, but now it will give you something to listen to because the cars suck...

Pocket binoculars are great if you have a long shot to the pits or distant corners, a jacket that doubles as a seat pad or lawn blanket is handy if the weather is right.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:47 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

SEAT PADS ! Yes. Bring / buy seat pads. The aluminum bleachers will kill you after a while. Thats basically all I backpack (the seat pads and rain jackets with our hats and sunscreen and earplugs). I also always bring some small and large ziplock bags also to put wallets and PDAs in so dont get drenched if it rains)...just a thought...
Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 164 Posts

Bring a Sony Walkman with a good set of ear buds and you can tune into the on site radio transmission for all the action,including the support races.
You also might want to pack a couple cheap ponchos in case of rain ... As far as the noise goes,i work trackside and where you will be sitting,you'll be fine.The Ferrari Challenge cars will probably be louder than than the F1's !

Cheers
Phil
Old 06-01-2014, 10:20 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Good call on the seat cushions.

I'll be there again next weekend too. Can't wait!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 218 Posts

I really like the "HEAROS"
Amazon.com: Hearos Earplugs High Fidelity Series with Free Case, 1-Pair: Musical Instruments Amazon.com: Hearos Earplugs High Fidelity Series with Free Case, 1-Pair: Musical Instruments
Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 AM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Understanding that its all personal preference, the NRR (noise reduction rating) for these is 12. I just go to the hardware store or pharmacy and you can get the foam ones with a 29 NRR. If you are going to wear protection anyway, why not really protect yourself. Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-03-2014, 01:12 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd bring a pillow to fall asleep on!
Old 06-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Very funny Arnie.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:55 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be there at the hairpin too, sitting with a group of friends. Was there for the last year of the v10 and the first year of the v8. Now we'll see about the v6...

Rich
Old 06-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Dave, you'll have a great time. As suggested above, a soft sided cooler/backpack is the way to go. You can bring your own (good) lunch and drinks and avoid getting hosed at the kiosks. Cans or plastic only - which Natalie and Ian B. have been known to put to good use. Some of the finest French wines have been enjoyed from soda bottles - go figure.

Hat/Suncreen and you're all set. We'll be a large group in 24 for all 3 days.

PM sent.

Cheers

Matt
+1
Stay away from red wine if it is even remotely warm out...Ian B. got me once...Never again!
Old 06-03-2014, 07:37 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't imagine I'd bring any ear protection for this year's crop of cars... Sound like a Civic with a fart can.

Quick Reply: Earplugs or NCH for F1 race?? Any other suggestions to bring to track?