Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolest Racing Suit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 11:30 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Per Bill's comment: I had precisely the same thought at Mosport as I slipped my glaciertek freeze-pops into my suit. Then a Rothman's 924 caught fire in turn 2. Later, my neighbor's Carrera RS developed a muffler leak where hot gases burned through the heatshields, melted the port side plug wire insulation. He came in when the miss started, just ahead of open flames judging by the scorched area. So fires happen.

I have an older Stand 21 suit, their "pajama" model, which is very heavy and actually quite comfortable although not cool. It is made of many layers of loosely woven fabric which at least seems to dry out very quickly if I hang it in a breeze between runs...

Brandon H
G #77
Old 08-07-2003, 01:16 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

This is the "Coolest" suit in my book!

www.winecountrymotorsports.com
Old 08-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you considered an OMP suit?? I've seen a few of them in the stores at VIR and Summit Point, so I imagine the same company has stores at other tracks...the name of the store slips my mind at the moment but they carry all OMP gear, helmets/neck braces/suits/gloves/seats...looks to be nice stuff??

I own a "middle of the road" Sparco myself, it's hot, but like others, it doesn't matter once you get going...besides, I think it looks pretty cool too!
Old 08-10-2003, 12:33 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jeff Curtis
I've seen a few of them in the stores at VIR and Summit Point, so I imagine the same company has stores at other tracks...the name of the store slips my mind at the moment but they carry all OMP gear, helmets/neck braces/suits/gloves/seats...looks to be nice stuff??
Jeff,

I believe you're referring to Driving Impressions ?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:53 PM
mcneil141
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 4 suits (2 simpson, 1 custom and 1 OMP), but when it is hot I always reach for my OMP. It seems heavier (being a 3 layer suit), but the open weave wicks away moisture, and it dries quicker.

BTW, I think they are cheaper than the Stand21 suits.

YMMV,
Andy
Old 08-11-2003, 02:20 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Anir, you nailed it!

Earlier today, I was going through receipts and found one from Driving Impressions...I had purchased some racer's tape last weekend.

They had BLUE and my Formula Toyota is Silver and Blue...so I had to have some!

Now, if I could just keep the damned thing OFF the curbing, I wouldn't need blue racer's tape!!
Old 08-22-2003, 06:48 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a chance to look at several suits this past week while in California and will most likely buy the Stand21 suit.

Before I bend over and get out the wallet, is there anywhere in the US that offers any kind of a discount for these suits?

(I'll admit in advance to being cheap...)

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll have to second the Stand 21 suits for comfort and quaility (i've owned a Sparco too) - in fact i jsut emailed nacy about a new one (my current one is a "Vintage" and i wanted one a bit more modern for the fall fling at VIR.
Oh and if you have not already done so - spend some money on neck protection (HANS or similiar)
BTW - i'll be driving Cole's choice at the fall fling which i think is an RSR - should be fun and humbling
Old 08-22-2003, 11:42 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Default Sparco Tech-5

I highly recommend the Sparco Tech-5. It is the lightest suite made (3-layer), extremely comfortable. Someone commented about bad seams and he was washing it. Have it dry cleaned like the label says.

Tim
Old 08-26-2003, 12:23 AM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

If heat is that much of an issue, I would highly recommend investing in a "Cool SHirt" system.

I bought one this year and now will NOT drive without it. Imagine those 90 degree days while you're sitting on the grid for 30 minutes whilst they clean up the guy buried to the doorsills in the gravel. Now, flip the switch, it feels like someone is pouring cool water all over your back and chest. THey are that good. Yeah, you still sweat, but instead of losing 5 pounds each session, you're just "a little hot".

No affiliation, just very satisfied!
Old 08-26-2003, 03:36 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Wow Rob!!

...Cole's choice - that can't be too bad!??

He'll take care of you, I'm sure...apparently you have pretty good connections there!

Quick Reply: Coolest Racing Suit?