Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving on track with a plugged tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:26 PM
Zaxx
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving on track with a plugged tire?

On the way home from day 1 of the DE this afternoon, I heard a sound I really hoped was a rock stuck in the tread. Turns out it was a screw in my passenger's side rear tire. I removed the screw and plugged the tire from the outside, but with day 2 starting in 12 hours there's no time for me to get it patched or changed. I don't have a spare set of wheels, so I am wondering if it is crazy to track a car with a plugged tire. I'm ready to skip day 2 if it's unsafe, but obviously a day at the track is better than pretty much anything else. Any thoughts?

Kevin

Last edited by Zaxx; 04-18-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Identified rear tire as plugged
Old 04-18-2014, 11:31 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've plugged a rear 997 GT 3 street car and it ran fine at Sebring, nothing tougher than that. Keep an eye on pressure to be sure it is not leaking.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 518 Posts

I would not track a car with a plugged tire.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:54 PM
J Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at VIR last weekend with BMW CCA and found a screw in one of my fairly fresh R6's after the first session on track on Friday. I pulled out the screw, plugged it myself with a kit from an auto parts store, and raced the rest of the weekend on that set of tires with no issues. Not the first time I've done it, and it probably won't be the last.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J Smith
I was at VIR last weekend with BMW CCA and found a screw in one of my fairly fresh R6's after the first session on track on Friday. I pulled out the screw, plugged it myself with a kit from an auto parts store, and raced the rest of the weekend on that set of tires with no issues. Not the first time I've done it, and it probably won't be the last.
Josh, thank you for finally putting this recurring question to rest (hopefully).

I've never heard of a sudden complete failure of a plug/patch on the road or track... Has anybody?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:26 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 518 Posts

One of my wife's plugged tires disintegrated a couple of years ago on a regular road. It was a botched plug job. Never again for me.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:30 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 190 Posts

Personally ... patch - maybe. Plug - no. A plug might work, as noted by some posters above, but the increased risk of a blowout and the potential consequences just wouldn't be worth it to me.

Trending Topics

Old 04-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've pulled countless screws and nails from my tires over the years and plugged them myself. I've never had a plug fail in any way. I've never tracked a tire with a plug. But I don't see how or why a plug would fail on the track.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I've plugged lots of tires with a http://www.safetyseal.com/ kit. Very sticky plugs, heavy duty insertion tools. When the puncture is in the middle of the tread, I've done practice laps with those tires without incident.
When the tire is removed later, the plug has spread to a 50 cent piece size disk and sealed completely to the tire.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian Allen
I've plugged lots of tires with a http://www.safetyseal.com/ kit. Very sticky plugs, heavy duty insertion tools. When the puncture is in the middle of the tread, I've done practice laps with those tires without incident.
When the tire is removed later, the plug has spread to a 50 cent piece size disk and sealed completely to the tire.
^^^ Safetyseal or go home. I have plugged A6s that got holed by a police stop strip needle and autocrossed the tire until it corded. Tire goes from ambient temp to so hot you cannot put your hand on it. Track day plugs too. If it bothers you get a tire dealer inside patch when you are done with the weekend.
I plug my DD tires too, trailer tires, F350 tires.
Stay away from cheap autostore plug kits with cheesy plastic handles. I takes some real beef to push a plug between steel belts. You don't want a plastic handle exploding on you and messing up your blood supply.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:50 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
^^^ Safetyseal or go home. I have plugged A6s that got holed by a police stop strip needle and autocrossed the tire until it corded. Tire goes from ambient temp to so hot you cannot put your hand on it. Track day plugs too. If it bothers you get a tire dealer inside patch when you are done with the weekend.
I plug my DD tires too, trailer tires, F350 tires.
Stay away from cheap autostore plug kits with cheesy plastic handles. I takes some real beef to push a plug between steel belts. You don't want a plastic handle exploding on you and messing up your blood supply.
^^^ This I have used Safety Seal for over 25 years in heavy equipment, truck and car tires. Never had a failure and carry the tools and strips with me all the time.

Peter
Old 04-19-2014, 12:22 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Depends where the nail is in the tire. If close to outer edges I probably wouldn't. If at center probably would. Also depends how much tread is left- if 3/4 thread- I would track it. Inner patching is the better option but if hole is close to outside edge inner patch mite lift off. Had that happen. Mike
Old 04-19-2014, 01:37 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally wouldn't do it. It'd be on the back of my mind all the time.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently placed a interior patch over a small nail hole in the middle of a Yoko slick and raced on it for 11 laps until the motor blew. Wait, could they be related?....
Old 04-19-2014, 06:53 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I have plugged A6s that got holed by a police stop strip needle and autocrossed the tire until it corded.
I'm curious to know how your Hoosier ended up coming in contact with a police stop strip...

Quick Reply: Driving on track with a plugged tire?