Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving on track with a plugged tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Zaxx
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. I ran with the plugged tire, no problems. The puncture was about 40/60 to the outside, so pretty close to the middle, which was the deciding factor for me.

The tire held pressure all day and increased/decreased pressures comparable to the healthy tire on the other side. I spent some time on straights looking at the tpms, but otherwise it wasn't a distraction, although I see how it could have been.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I'm curious to know how your Hoosier ended up coming in contact with a police stop strip...
Only way they could get me to stop, could not catch me...............
No freekin way a Crown Vic can keep up with a GT3RS on Ho hos, even heat wasted ones.
We autocross at the Moore Airfield in Devens and the Ma State Police also have their training center there. They use one section of the runways for stop strip training. These strips are filled with SSteel needles sharpened like hypo needles, 1/8 dia. Because they are stainless and have a matt finish they are hard to see on the tarmac once they get pulled out of the strip. Stainless is not so magnetic either and the needles that get flung out do not always get found. I "found" one in my tire. From when I heard the pulsing sound from the spinning tire to complete flat was about 50 feet. One needle that I picked up right at the finish lights at autocross. Not the only driver to "find" one. When I am setting cones for the days course I always spend a few min looking around in that area. Once in a great while I find one, usually near the runway edge.
I was there on a Friday with my car and at lunch one of the trainers asked if I wanted to play on their training course. He ran 120 seconds in the Vic. I ran 20 seconds less, but technically ran over 3 baby carriages. He also freeked out in my passenger seat because I was going so fast and the car was turning so hard. Not an autocross course because the turns were about three times as many per distance of a normal course.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:12 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at Barber on a nearly worn out set of street tires (Yok AD08). Picked up a nail - on track somehow! - near the end of the first day. Plugged it, tracked the 2nd day on it, and then drove 350 miles home on it. YMMV.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,244 Likes on 1,578 Posts

I asked a shop to plug a race tire and they refused. Once we talked for a while I agreed. Plug and patches are OK for the street but I don't want to be thinking about my tire blowing apart at the track.

Quick Reply: Driving on track with a plugged tire?