Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COTA DE for 1st-timer friend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014 | 03:38 PM
8ringcircus
Advanced

Question COTA DE for 1st-timer friend?

A good friend in Austin is interested in a DE @ COTA that includes instruction.

My searches are coming back with a few 'experienced solo' and 'instructor only' options, but nothing for newbs.

Know of anything this year?
Old 03-29-2014 | 05:52 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by 8ringcircus
A good friend in Austin is interested in a DE @ COTA that includes instruction.

My searches are coming back with a few 'experienced solo' and 'instructor only' options, but nothing for newbs.

Know of anything this year?
The BMW CCA event last weekend included instruction (actually required it for everybody), but it was not an event for utter newbies. That instruction requirement was a good idea, as even experienced track junkies have had issues with COTA. Some of the white group ("most advanced") did *not* get solo sign offs. The lowest run group was Blue.

COTA is a new facility and doesn't have much of a schedule history. MVP usually goes in Feb, but they are solo only. BMW CCA is March. PCA is May (PCA is solo only and sold out already). Driver's Edge may go, it's worth checking. The amateur events have to squeeze in between the professional events - there aren't a lot of dates.

The best path to get to COTA is get experienced and solo qualified someplace else. There are lots of opportunities around Texas some being TWS, MSR-Cresson, MSR-Houston, Harris Hill Road, etc... Harris Hill Road is close to Austin in San Marcos.

I'm biased towards TWS in College Station. It's a great track that may not be around much longer. PCA, Driver's Edge, as well as the track itself (PDS) run DE events there as well as open track days. Costs are very reasonable and it's possible to go to instructed events twice a month outside of July-Aug. From Jul-Aug there are fewer events due to the heat, but it's still possible.

The bad news, is I suspect the opportunity for this year has passed. The good news, is there is enough time to get qualified to go to COTA next year. Maybe someone knows of an event that could change this.

Even if you manage to find an event that would let a newbie on the track without instruction, I would highly recommend against it. COTA is a beast and I've seen instructors have issues with it. One other possibility is use a professional coach and go to a COTA event that would allow this - bring lots of cash.

-Mike
Old 03-29-2014 | 06:48 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

He will not enjoy it as a beginner. There are a lot of things going on that may intimidate a new driver. Bill Auberlen has an excellent you tube on his line around the track. It is one of the better ones out there.
Old 03-29-2014 | 07:00 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Good advice above.
Old 03-29-2014 | 07:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ah, c'mon guys! A track is a track, and COTA is a great place.

I'd recommend Chin for a newb headed to COTA!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-29-2014 | 08:06 PM
8ringcircus
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Jon
Old 03-29-2014 | 08:13 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Ah, c'mon guys! A track is a track, and COTA is a great place.

I'd recommend Chin for a newb headed to COTA!
Chin doesn't look like its going in 2014 (link). They have been told they are limited to 36 cars, which doesn't make a lot of sense as BMW had 50+ in the run groups (link).

I think with time COTA will be just a track, but from my perspective, the TX track organizations just haven't got there arms around it enough and COTA itself is still figuring out how to handle these events. There aren't enough experienced instructors either as most of them are racers and their focus has been racing. My driving career has been local: TWS, HHR, MSRH, and COTA. COTA has several elements that the other tracks do not have so I suspect that local DE only instructors will need time to build familiarity as well.

After attending well over 50 events at TWS one can take for granted just how well the logistics of the event are executed. COTA is nowhere near that point. For example, the passing zones have not been standardized. The easy ones are way too far apart to be efficient and relaxing them has resulted in quite a few car to car contact near misses - near misses that don't happen in the passing zones of TWS. I have very little doubt that COTA will eventually host regular DE events with newbies - I just think it will be a while.

One cool thing about the place is once you "get it", the track is a great deal of fun.

-Mike
Old 03-29-2014 | 08:21 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
Chin doesn't look like its going in 2014 (link). They have been told they are limited to 36 cars, which doesn't make a lot of sense as BMW had 50+ in the run groups (link).

I think with time COTA will be just a track, but from my perspective, the TX track organizations just haven't got there arms around it enough and COTA itself is still figuring out how to handle these events. There aren't enough experienced instructors either as most of them are racers and their focus has been racing. My driving career has been local: TWS, HHR, MSRH, and COTA. COTA has several elements that the other tracks do not have so I suspect that local DE only instructors will need time to build familiarity as well.

After attending well over 50 events at TWS one can take for granted just how well the logistics of the event are executed. COTA is nowhere near that point. For example, the passing zones have not been standardized. The easy ones are way too far apart to be efficient and relaxing them has resulted in quite a few car to car contact near misses - near misses that don't happen in the passing zones of TWS. I have very little doubt that COTA will eventually host regular DE events with newbies - I just think it will be a while.

One cool thing about the place is once you "get it", the track is a great deal of fun.

-Mike
At this morning's driver meeting Mark with Chin announced their COTA event will be Nov. 15-16 according to a friend who was at the meeting.
Is COTA really that hard? Relatively flat except going into 1 and 9. Ability to see turn-ins and apexes is good compared to somewhere like Road Atlanta or Barber where a lot of stuff is blind. Also there is a lot of paved runoff at COTA. Much safer than many tracks.
Old 03-29-2014 | 08:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Agreed. I ran a school for ninety racers, no problem, for an event that had at least three quarter of the 485+ racers not have any COTA experience.

I like the track, I believe in teaching a benign, well-founded methodology there and it worked out fine. It drives WAY better than it looks, that's for sure.

I feel like we're spoiled in the East, with the Glen, Mosport, Mont Tremblant, Lime Rock, Summit, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Daytona, Barber, Mid-Ohio, Road America and others. I think Texas has had a great selection, too. And COTA had only added to that.
Old 03-29-2014 | 08:46 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by paver
At this morning's driver meeting Mark with Chin announced their COTA event will be Nov. 15-16 according to a friend who was at the meeting.
Is COTA really that hard? Relatively flat except going into 1 and 9. Ability to see turn-ins and apexes is good compared to somewhere like Road Atlanta or Barber where a lot of stuff is blind. Also there is a lot of paved runoff at COTA. Much safer than many tracks.
Maybe not hard, just different. I may be all wet. I thought the place was harder than typical around here, but I don't have a lot of experience at lots of tracks.

Logistically it is still pretty tough. High cost and sells out fast. Did they mention the cost?

COTA is just abysmal when it comes to trains and I do think passing zones not in the straights take some skill and judgement.

The safety is excellent, especially for things like backing up braking zones such as T12. If you misjudge, just go straight off, slow down on the asphalt run off and get yourself back on the track.

-Mike
Old 03-29-2014 | 08:50 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

My spy told me Mark didn't mention cost but will give more details at tomorrow's meeting. Chin at COTA...piggyback event at TWS with no snow, VonSchimdt??
Old 03-29-2014 | 09:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I think, with GOOD instruction (which is a big caveat), COTA would be fine for a beginner. Granted, 20 corners is a lot to remember...but some of them are not really corners, despite being numbered as such. But the caveat is GOOD instruction (or coaching). Most typical instructors are a bit clueless about large parts of COTA, IMHO.
Old 03-29-2014 | 10:44 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Go to a track day at H2R. Nothing to hit, great folks and you'll get the feel for driving on a track
and can be done in 1/2-1 day if you live in Austin.

Drive down there and ask Bo (owner) about some lessons or even a lead follow.

They are great folks down there and you can get a taste of things without the pressure/cost of doing COTA.

Then when you get to COTA -- you can more readily enjoy the experience.

TWS is also awesome -- but for folks in Austin -- there is more of a commitment time/$$ wise
(mostly due to the fact that it is not a 1 day thing - incl time to drive there/back -- typically one or more nights at hotel)

Mike
Old 03-30-2014 | 12:23 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Chin at COTA is going to have a hard time running 3 run groups with inst running for free if it is only 36 cars per run group. Not enough paying customers under that scenario. But if Chin can get COTA to go along with their liberal passing rules in the upper groups if will surely cut down on the trains

COTA is just another track and most experienced drivers should pick it up pretty quick, maybe not all the nuances but surely getting around fast and safe.

Peter
Old 03-30-2014 | 02:17 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I think, with GOOD instruction (which is a big caveat), COTA would be fine for a beginner. Granted, 20 corners is a lot to remember...but some of them are not really corners, despite being numbered as such. But the caveat is GOOD instruction (or coaching). Most typical instructors are a bit clueless about large parts of COTA, IMHO.
Maybe this can, will help. The jpg is derived from the original pdf but with the proposed line colored in. Used at last years PCA CR and was considered a hit. Also used by friends at this years BMW event. HTH
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: COTA DE for 1st-timer friend?