Sponsored by:

COTA DE for 1st-timer friend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:53 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Hahaha!!! That was your record lap, right?

c.
Peter's lap was a whole lot more impressive, but that was the best I've done at COTA. Satisfying for me, but perhaps a bit boring for everyone else.

As for the wheel/hand position, I do that without event thinking of it. Short legs, big stock wheel, and enhanced beer processing facility mean not a lot of clearance around the wheel. I don't appear to do it unless more than 90 degrees of wheel input is needed.

I wish I had tried the far right line in T8 as a bit more speed entering T9 would have really helped. Maybe next year ...

-Mike
Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Are you actually advocating straddling the T8 right side curbing (curbing under the car and right side tires on the red "runoff")? There were people talking about this. I tried it on a cool down lap and it seemed a bit risky coming back over as the curbs picked at the rear tires. Perhaps it would be better at speed? I'd love to see a video of it.
Well...it seems to work quite well when I drive other people's cars at COTA
Old 04-01-2014, 05:42 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Heh, I'm in the same boat: I'm too much of a novice to qualify for most of the HPDEs at COTA. IIRC, Driver's Edge, PCA, MVP, etc. all seem to want advanced or solo guys when they run this track. BMWCCA was the only group really running a novice/novice-ish group last year, and their only event for the year was a couple weeks ago. If anyone finds any others running a novice group, I want to know, too! Dagnabbit, this is the closest one to me.

I'll second the Harris Hill recommendation--they don't run DEs often there, but you can sign up for mini-schools in the meantime. It's close enough to Austin to sleep in your own bed.

COTA was not a scary track to me, though--I say go for it if he gets the chance. Yeah, there's walls that are unusual for Texas, but there's a bunch of runoff area and only one turn that tends to collect cars on a regular basis (bridge at T3). Be careful and you're fine--even as a novice, IMHO. They don't let novices out in DEs without instruction anyway. Go with an established group, ask around about their reputation first to see if the instructor pool is any good, and go have fun.

Quick Reply: COTA DE for 1st-timer friend?