Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

2014 Malasian Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:57 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I really, really wanted to enjoy the race. In the end, it wasn't that interesting. I kept getting distracted by other things around me that would've usually gone unnoticed. The new F1 is just not that good. Fuel savings, tire management, poor sound... I'm still planning to go to Montreal again in June to see it in person. But this looks more like a controlled experiment than a racing series.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:01 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

The one good thing is that the cars do have a lot of power and look harder to control.

The sound is a major let down. Old hands say we will get used to it etc., but I don't know.

That Youtube video comparing the sounds of the cars at the start of the 2013 and 2014 Australian Grand Prix really drives it home.

F1 is not what it used to be. How bad (or good?) a thing that is, time will tell.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:45 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
....I understand that the alternative drive units F1 uses are the future of cars, and I am not saying to get rid of them... but for the racers sakes, please give the teams at least 110% fuel and let them regulate the usage.

I am just ranting because I am concerned F1 has taken a turn for the worse...
Previously, F1 teams developed technologies to help them win races, to be better than their opponents. That brought us Anti-lock brakes, traction control, paddle shift, etc. Some of the things have been banned from F1, but have trickled down to street cars. This alternative drive crap has been a trickle up maditory push and I personally don't think it belongs in F1. If the FIA hope F1 will develop more efficient engines, then open up the regs a little bit and allow them to figure it out. Perhapes, if they mandate a small fuel tank, but allow refueling and open engine design. Teams will have the choice of either going very fast and making many more stops or going fast and making the fewest stops possible. In most cases, making more stops would be a race killer. Then they might have some development trickle down.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound is undeniably terrible, but I really like being able to hear the tires squeal. The reaction from the fans is also pretty cool.
It's not a trade-off I would choose, but at least its something.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:49 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
The sound is undeniably terrible, but I really like being able to hear the tires squeal. The reaction from the fans is also pretty cool.
It's not a trade-off I would choose, but at least its something.
Funny to hear Buxton petition Bernie to reposition or add mics, turn up the sound mix, all but hire Jay Z to produce the soundtrack?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

One word. Autotune

Quick Reply: 2014 Malasian Grand Prix