Sponsored by:

COTA's improving attitude

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Thumbs up COTA's improving attitude

Got a very nice surprise today. I attended the BMWCCA Texas Trifecta last weekend at COTA and got a survey request today not from BMWCCA, but from COTA itself asking me how satisfied I was with the experience. A nice gesture considering I'm just an amateur DE driver.

If only the costs were more reasonable, that track could become a real gem. I've driven it twice and finally "got it" this weekend. Went from timid about breaking things, to having fun, to being able to keep some cars in sight.

The staff were there usual best and the recovery crews were much improved over last year. Their bathroom cleanliness beats Buc-ee's (those from TX will LTAO about that).

-Mike
Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can agree that the management in place is trying hard to correct the ills of the past and costs will have to come down if we are going to continue to play in their sandpit.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:26 AM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I was there too, and I have to say I was super impressed. The TX BMWCCA chapters ran a great event and the facilities truly are world-class. Although I'd been to CotA several times before, I'd not yet driven the track; after two days I'd say I was only scratching the surface of understanding the fastest way around...

It is more expensive than other facilities, but at least for me, I got what I paid for. (At least part of that is that it's 20 minutes from my house, which obviously doesn't apply to everyone.)
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Shivatron
I was there too, and I have to say I was super impressed. The TX BMWCCA chapters ran a great event and the facilities truly are world-class. Although I'd been to CotA several times before, I'd not yet driven the track; after two days I'd say I was only scratching the surface of understanding the fastest way around...

It is more expensive than other facilities, but at least for me, I got what I paid for. (At least part of that is that it's 20 minutes from my house, which obviously doesn't apply to everyone.)
As a racing fan, I've never been a fan of "cookie cutter" tracks, and from the TV perspective, Tilke tracks are definitely cookie cutter. However, driving them is a whole different perspective as COTA is an engineering masterpiece and that was clear before I finished my first lap there. There is a lot under the surface at that place and a lot to figure out.

The expenses of COTA present a formidable challenge. The track does provide more than a typical track around here in the facilities and that does cost money. I don't feel cheated, but the economic reality is each day at COTA cost $325 with lots of cars on the track. For places like TWS, a full DE weekend is $295-$325 and open track days in the summer are $125 with far fewer cars on the track.

The white DE group was very well behaved and we didn't have trains, but all it takes is 2-3 chowderheads not giving pointbys and the COTA experience goes into the toilet with 50+ cars on the track.

COTAs relaxation of the rules helped tremendously. Last year you couldn't run cars in the garages. They have also become more trusting of BMWCCA as well as PCA and I suspect MVP because these organizations have demonstrated responsibility when using their facility.

-Mike
Old 03-26-2014, 04:10 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXE36
Their bathroom cleanliness beats Buc-ee's
Now that takes some do'n! Hah!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't been there yet, but not because of cost, more because of too lazy and too little time to drive 14 hrs. But I think it's worth it. If not only to keep crap cans off of the track as much as possible. It's like playing your pickup basketball game at a high school gym or the staples center. It's just going to cost more. I think it's within reason now and should stay at a premium over other tracks. TWS as a track layout may be as much or more fun, but facility wise it's like a third world country with carts and mules vs a middle east oil rich country with CGT's driven as DD's. The prices are not, nor ever should be in the same price range.

I will get there at some point. Just trying to coordinate with some other (competition) events to make a good trip out of it.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Happy to see COTA and Kevin Schwantz work something out and the Simoncelli Foundation will benefit. They do seem to have turned a new leaf.

Kevin Schwantz joins COTA as Motorcycle Racing Ambassador
Attached Images
Old 03-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Hot damn! That is GREAT news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

{ applauds }

Very cool.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:43 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXE36
However, driving them is a whole different perspective as COTA is an engineering masterpiece and that was clear before I finished my first lap there.
Their other US track isn't so universally loved, FWIW.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Fence mended. Never ride biatch with someone you don't trust with your life. #34 w/Epstein.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...&stream_ref=10
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:51 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I fully agree with the comments about the attitude of the track folks. My first visit as a participant and I found every COTA person I interacted with to be conveying the attitude that they were happy to have me there.

The BMW boys did a great job of managing a complex event and the KC PCA contingent had a GREAT time.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

A good attitude is a good start, but pricing will need to improve as well.

Quick Reply: COTA's improving attitude