Sponsored by:

Rain tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Cyril,
I will be carrying on with NT01 and may be trying the BFG R1 for comparison.

Currently in search of wet tire to mount on 3rd set of track rims, but 295/30/18 limits choices. Considering different aspect ratios for 285s and 275s. Kumho spt, continental DW, Michelin PSS being considered.

Last edited by DHI; 03-30-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:50 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the Hoosier H2O at Road Atlanta DE this weekend. Purchased them late last fall. Stored in my garage until January, than stored in my trailer, so they have been through both warm and cold.

Tires were nothing but amazing. I'm not an overly quick driver, but I was driving by almost everyone in the rain. I had a pretty fresh set of R888 that I had on for one "damp" session and didn't have nearly the grip and confidence.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:06 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 171 Posts

Dave,

If you're going to be at the LCMT test day on May 1st,i'll have the BFG R1's on the 911 and a set of DW's for rain tires on my other set of wheels,come by and have a look !

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-31-2014, 09:29 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of the Conti extreme Contact DW, but at Mid-Ohio the guys on H2O were a lot faster than I could go. Hence I now have a set of H2O's haven't used them yet, but the DW's only have like ~3 sessions on them and look like new, you can still see the DW in the face of the tread blocks.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:00 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried the RE-ll's,, thought they were pretty good in the dry when I didn't feel like changing tires, but was a little disappointed with their wet performance. With tread blocks like that, I thought they'd be great! I don't know about the 11a's, which claim some improvement with a new compound. I've been leaning to the AD08 R's.

I have no doubt the H2O's are quickest.

Bill
Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 AM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LostSouth
I ran the Hoosier H2O at Road Atlanta DE this weekend. Purchased them late last fall. Stored in my garage until January, than stored in my trailer, so they have been through both warm and cold.

Tires were nothing but amazing. I'm not an overly quick driver, but I was driving by almost everyone in the rain. I had a pretty fresh set of R888 that I had on for one "damp" session and didn't have nearly the grip and confidence.
That is a key statement, in my opinion. You will be fine tip-toeing around on street tires trying not to slide, but constantly worried about it. Or you can put on the H2O's and build confidence with the car in the rain.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did more research and here is what I found:

Hossier H2O: By far the best and fastest tire in the rain but this tire needs to be use in raining conditions only!
I found this comment appropriate: “Full tread they need standing water puddles and rain falling. On a just a fully damp track they start to go off quickly and you have to find puddles to drive through to keep them working good and not destroying themselves.”

Toyo RA-1: Very good intermediate tire (wet , damp track, drying conditions,... and on the dry).

Conti DW: Best street tire on the rain and definitly affordable.

From your feedbacks and my research, here is my conclusion about rain tires for the track:
For a race car you want a race tire: H2O (no compromise here!)
For a track car the RA-1 is definitely a good compromise. R compound with solid performances on wet and dry conditions.
For a street car the Conti DW is definitely a great tire (Performance on the wet, dry and a good pricing).

Thank you guys!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:21 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

For what you are using it for, go with the RA1. You can run it in the rain and then when it wears down, run it in the dry until it cords. Best bang for the buck. If you race, Hoosier all the way.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 04-08-2014, 09:50 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to make a RA-1 a better rain tire - we can do that!

Quick Reply: Rain tire