Sponsored by:

CVR Twin Sprint Rumble Club Race April 25/26

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I never think about buying a Cup Car anymore, just how to use a brake pedal less. Its amazing what racing a momentum car does for your overall speed/laptimes at DE in a fast car like the GT3.
+1
A low HP car amplifies the penalty incurred by ANY unnecessary loss of speed/momentum. The higher the HP, the higher the chances that brakes will be overused since the HP will be used to dilute the momentum-loss penalty out of turns. Once you learn to keep max speed into and out of turns with a low HP car, then you realize that EVERY car is a momentum car. You did a great job
Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Mike,
I lost my splitter early in the day. Lost my splitter on the practice day 2 weeks before as well . I get the same height with or without. Those splitters are so small I am not sure they do a thing.

Deciding now if I even replace it or not

I think it has to do with set up. Scotto and I have very close set ups. Savenor has a very different set up. We need to find out his set up
As cool as the wheelies look I'm sure there's a negative impact to your equipment going airborne, if only for a short period. Curious what you guys uncover in the differences in setup. I had lift at last years CR but not nearly to the degree you guys had. I wouldn't underestimate the lose of the splitter cresting the uphill full throttle.

Curious if the 997 Cups were experiencing the same lift?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Ordering the splitter today and the sealant .............. Thanks guys
Steve, I used additional fasteners/anchors on my 6 splitter and the durability was greatly enhanced. Before that, I was losing a splitter at every event. The holes the stock plastic fasteners are inserted into expand over time and really lose their ability to hold.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:04 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would not be a big enough change for me to warrant doing it. My 6GT3 Trackcar seems to keep with most Cup Cars I find at DE's, but much cheaper overall to run. It run's low 58's at LRP on Toyo R888's. Never ran R6's there as I have never found anything faster than it.
Your at the wrong de's try cvr's @ W Glen see if you can keep up

Bob
Old 04-30-2014, 12:11 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
As cool as the wheelies look I'm sure there's a negative impact to your equipment going airborne, if only for a short period. Curious what you guys uncover in the differences in setup. I had lift at last years CR but not nearly to the degree you guys had. I wouldn't underestimate the lose of the splitter cresting the uphill full throttle.

Curious if the 997 Cups were experiencing the same lift?
The splitter does more than we give credit. I have been driving LRP with a 6cup for a bit more than a year and never went flying over the uphill til last week.

Bob
Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

the best fastener i ever found was the Plastic Drywall anchor screws ....grab a bag at home depot (or walmart if at watkins) and youll be amazed how well they work...
just the white plastic part here (they come in black soemtimes too)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hilti-1-1...2687/204692957

Great pictures though as well as video's

Van REALLY nice driving, love the outside move...
Rob....great vids as well.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 AM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with you in all aspects. I also DE a modified 6GT3 and had thought about going the Cup Car route, until I had this exact realization. After watching millions of dollars of expensive race cars destroyed at Sebring, Road Atlanta and LRP last year, I went out and bought my SPB and have had so much fun in the car since. I never think about buying a Cup Car anymore, just how to use a brake pedal less. Its amazing what racing a momentum car does for your overall speed/laptimes at DE in a fast car like the GT3.

Fields in the Northeast are definitely growing in SPB. AT Road Atlanta this year we had 12 cars, last year there where 3. then a bigger field for LRP. WGI has 16 entered, last year was 12. If a few more join on a regular basis, we will see regular filed size's of 8-12 car's a race minimum.

I expect we will see good racing and strong competition at WGI also this year in SPB. I know its one of my favorite tracks and it also one of Keith's.
Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Your at the wrong de's try cvr's @ W Glen see if you can keep up

Bob
:thumbup
Old 04-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I've realized that the fun in racing is proportional to the size of the field of mostly equal cars. HP and grip rank distant second and third, IMO.

I agree with you in all aspects. I also DE a modified 6GT3 and had thought about going the Cup Car route, until I had this exact realization. After watching millions of dollars of expensive race cars destroyed at Sebring, Road Atlanta and LRP last year, I went out and bought my SPB and have had so much fun in the car since. I never think about buying a Cup Car anymore, just how to use a brake pedal less. Its amazing what racing a momentum car does for your overall speed/laptimes at DE in a fast car like the GT3.
Originally Posted by hf1
+1
A low HP car amplifies the penalty incurred by ANY unnecessary loss of speed/momentum. The higher the HP, the higher the chances that brakes will be overused since the HP will be used to dilute the momentum-loss penalty out of turns. Once you learn to keep max speed into and out of turns with a low HP car, then you realize that EVERY car is a momentum car. You did a great job
Exactly all of the above! This is one of the reson I'm racing an SP2 car (big fileds). Up here in Canada the only other solution would have been FF1600.

SRF and SM would be great too. I hope that SPB gains lots of momentum (no pun intented) and that it becomes the new place to go. SP1-2-3 cars are getting old, although still very fast and reliable...

c.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:11 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you guys don't want to hear this but right now the biggest fields are with the front engined water cooled versions.

Last edited by gums; 04-30-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 150 Posts

I lost a splitter there 2 weeks before the race. So I replaced with exactly that the dry wall screws about 4 of the 10 holes
They all came out
Now I am going to try Mikes special roofing glue . I will probably lose my nose now
Old 04-30-2014, 03:13 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I broke the splitter off one of those cars at Mosport a few years ago.
Maybe AJ Hartman can fabricate something better.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the Up Hill
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2014, 10:20 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

I lost a splitter there 2 weeks before the race. So I replaced with exactly that the dry wall screws about 4 of the 10 holes
They all came out
Now I am going to try Mikes special roofing glue . I will probably lose my nose now
The one thing you need to be careful of when attaching the splitter to intact to the bumper cover is it won't detach when it's supposed to. The end result is far more expensive than replacing the splitter.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:59 AM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

They all came out
I went off-roading few times at Glen and NJMP. Also I am using it on my street GT3 with pothole's and steep driveway my bumper is still intact, In fact when I bottom out last time all of the plastic rivets came out but no splitter.
It's also good for sealing 3 piece wheel or anything else!
Geocel 4500 will stretch a lot before it breaks !
Old 05-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 150 Posts

Bob,
Don't think I wasn't thinking about that during the race.

I still don't think the splitter would help much with the air. I was getting the same amount before the splitter came off. I am replacing it though and using Mikes super roof glue

Quick Reply: CVR Twin Sprint Rumble Club Race April 25/26