Sponsored by:

Cayman Cup Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:51 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
What a lot of people are waiting for Porsche to build. It'll be interesting to see how it runs against 997 Cups.
Yea, but too many of these Cayman RSR and Cayman Cup Car threads and Porsche is going to shoot out one of their famous "cease & desist" letters. Protecting the 991 platform sounds like a pretty big deal to them.

Nonetheless, absolutely love these builds? Having just picked up a Cayman, are the engine and trans openings standard size or have those been modified? Haven't had a chance to look at mine yet.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow! Subscribed.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:55 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
What a lot of people are waiting for Porsche to build. It'll be interesting to see how it runs against 997 Cups.

Why are so many people waiting for Porsche to build a "Cayman Cup"?

Is it the idea that it is a better platform than a rear engine car?

It certainly doesn't look much different than a 997 after you put the entire front end from a 997 on it and big rear flares.

Seems like a great way to spend a bunch of money to be different more than anything else.

Cup cars are soooo boring....I guess.

I would much rather have a mid engine platform with a properly designed rear suspension, than a car that used the front suspension on the rear to "save money".
Old 03-10-2014, 06:23 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

yes, the cayman is a better platform but artificially limited.
me too would like a properly designed mid engine car like nsr or scud or speciale, but those dont haev the stuggart shield on them.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jcastle
more details please...
for 9A1 cars or do you have do do a metzger swap?
any paddle shift option coming, like KMP?
9A1 since you can already invert a Holinger to run against a Mezger. No paddle shift planned at this time. I don't see people willing to spend another $15k on top of a $25k gearbox for the luxury of flappy paddles. There's a limit on what people will spend on these cars. If I am wrong we will produce one but it would be cart before the horse to make the paddles from day one.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Ok I get it...Porsche is letting these race shops work everything out with the Cayman before they bring out the factory version...LOL

Wow so dang nice...in red too..my favorite. What a cool car you've built.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
9A1 since you can already invert a Holinger to run against a Mezger. No paddle shift planned at this time. I don't see people willing to spend another $15k on top of a $25k gearbox for the luxury of flappy paddles. There's NO limit on what people will spend on these cars. If I am wrong we will produce one but it would be cart before the horse to make the paddles from day one.
Fixed the limit for ya.. $228K for one in another thread that the owner is most likely dropping another $20K in to modify!! Really???
Old 03-10-2014, 10:14 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I can't even phathom what the build cost for this car will be.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Fixed the limit for ya.. $228K for one in another thread that the owner is most likely dropping another $20K in to modify!! Really???
There's a difference between what one guy will spend on one car and what one can sell as a production piece. There would need to be 20 guys a year ready to buy the paddle shift kit to make it viable.

Most people who want a sequential prefer the mechanical aspect of it. They want something that the PDk is not. At least those are the one on one conversations that I am having with people.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Bullet-Racing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the positive comments, I am posting 5 short videos from today.

We love the Cayman platform and in fact it was John at BGB and his enthusiasm for Caymans that lead us to buy one of their original
builds and modify it for the 2013 Rolex Daytona 24hr.

The dyno runs today were very successful and everything worked perfectly

In the pictures you probably all notice how high the car sits in the front – we just raised just for ease of transport.

We weighed the car today and with all body components installed it just breaks the 2500 lb mark,
partly due to the fact that we decided to acid dip the entire car and powder coat it before assembly

Trust me this build had it’s challenges and many people would have given up along the way but Bernie just
kept at it. Just some of the challenges in no particular order were,

1. Redesigning the transmission to run upside down
2. The shift cable alone is twice as long as a in a cup car (imagine getting that to work properly)
3. The engine and transmission does not naturally fit in the allotted space without a lot of engineered parts (all of which we did in house)
4. Filling and checking oil without removing the engine cover.
5. Mating a complete cup car harness and ECU to properly work in a Cayman
6. All the coolant lines, fuel lines as well
7. Fitting the Cup car suspension and brakes and getting the correct axle angle (not to mention axle length)
8. Maybe one of the hardest was making hand made headers in mid air while working overhead (remember the headers point in a different direction)

In short there were hundreds of things that had to be hand engineered because the motor is pointing in a different direction.
This is just the tip of the iceberg of what it really took but we did it all without tube framing the back of the car.

Our future plan will be to make these available for purchase

Old 04-20-2014, 02:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

you guys are just plain crazy! Love it!

What did you do with all the Cayman R take-off parts?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

updates?
Old 08-29-2014, 03:37 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow
Old 03-25-2022, 05:59 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon at BGB was a visionary when it came to the Cayman platform! Without him the Cayman would have NEVER raced in the Daytona 24hr! He inspired me to put a GT3 Cup drive train in a Cayman Without tubeframeing the rear. Because of his vision, I believe Porsche was forced to create what you see today in a car like the GT4RS. Thank you BGB

Quick Reply: Cayman Cup Car