Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
I bet it would be very hard to measure a difference in the outcomes between the high cost and reasonable cost belt systems. Many other factors will have far more influence on outcomes. Some belt systems are a bit better to live with in adjustment and buckling up but the overall safety system setup is far more a factor than a belt brand. Even things such as pull up or pull down can improve use.

I have seen a lot of $$$ equipment assembled in less than optimum ways and not just shade tree installs, from well-known shops too. How they are integrated into the system is far more important than brand.
Actually, it isn't that difficult. When testing through SFI they have a tolerance and an acceptable range that they put items through. Some belts meet this requirements and others exceed it greatly. All are safe, some just perform better than others. Nothing earth shattering there. After reading the comments here I spoke with a trusted and respected member of SFI and he concluded that some of the more expensive ones are well above standards...not all, but most. I won't go into brand names. Fit, finish, comfort and ease of use USUALLY are also attributes of name brand belts. There are some outliers that are less expensive that are just as good I'm sure.

I do agree with the assembly comment. Much of our safety equipment is not installed nor is it used properly to obtain maximum safety. No matter how good the device is, it must be used properly. One of the worst mistakes with belts are simply not having them tight enough.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Schroth Profi-6 HANS and I like it. But I don't absolutely love it like some people here.

For 5 years I used a G Force and I liked it too. You can't beat it for the value.

If/when G Force makes HANS belts I'll probably go back to that. I actually liked the G Force camlock a lot better (easier for me to latch blindly).
Old 03-10-2014, 03:12 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Astroman
I have a Schroth Profi-6 HANS and I like it. But I don't absolutely love it like some people here.

For 5 years I used a G Force and I liked it too. You can't beat it for the value.

If/when G Force makes HANS belts I'll probably go back to that. I actually liked the G Force camlock a lot better (easier for me to latch blindly).
Thanks Jack. Good to see feedback on something different. I must admit, sometimes it isn't easy to get some of the Schroth's latched.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:39 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Actually, it isn't that difficult. When testing through SFI they have a tolerance and an acceptable range that they put items through. Some belts meet this requirements and others exceed it greatly. All are safe, some just perform better than others. Nothing earth shattering there. After reading the comments here I spoke with a trusted and respected member of SFI and he concluded that some of the more expensive ones are well above standards...not all, but most. I won't go into brand names. Fit, finish, comfort and ease of use USUALLY are also attributes of name brand belts. There are some outliers that are less expensive that are just as good I'm sure.

I do agree with the assembly comment. Much of our safety equipment is not installed nor is it used properly to obtain maximum safety. No matter how good the device is, it must be used properly. One of the worst mistakes with belts are simply not having them tight enough.
Keep in mind that you will not likely survive a "real world belt limit test" at even the min ratings. More that enough is just that. Good belts, good seat, clean install, everything works just as intended and within the limits and a weak point such as your heart tears away from its plumbing from G force alone the cheap or expensive belts still intact as they are stronger than we are. g forces that SFI belts can survive can also cause your arms and legs to detach. Some of the gear we use is well stronger than we are some of it is not. I often see folks dwell on certain aspects and gloss over other ones. Don't let a great set of belts lull you into thinking you have done a yeoman's job on safety. Absorption systems, suppression systems, containment systems intrusion systems are all facets of the overall safety system. I am not in any way saying not to buy the expensive stuff I am saying it is cost is not a predictor of increased safety in some of the gear.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kurt M
Keep in mind that you will not likely survive a "real world belt limit test" at even the min ratings. More that enough is just that. Good belts, good seat, clean install, everything works just as intended and within the limits and a weak point such as your heart tears away from its plumbing from G force alone the cheap or expensive belts still intact as they are stronger than we are. g forces that SFI belts can survive can also cause your arms and legs to detach. Some of the gear we use is well stronger than we are some of it is not. I often see folks dwell on certain aspects and gloss over other ones. Don't let a great set of belts lull you into thinking you have done a yeoman's job on safety. Absorption systems, suppression systems, containment systems intrusion systems are all facets of the overall safety system. I am not in any way saying not to buy the expensive stuff I am saying it is cost is not a predictor of increased safety in some of the gear.
Thanks Kurt. Great feedback. You would have really enjoyed the MSX show this past weekend. Charles Espenlaub spoke on safety and he echoed some of your thoughts. A lot of guys, including me in the past, would pay more attention to certain things and let others go. He has been a long term advocate of safety and doesn't skimp on anything. That attitude saved his life in the big fire. Another thing I'm seeing that I like a lot is the sanctioning bodies paying more attention to these areas. We may grumble and groan but it's good for us. It is a bit scary to think that is really wasn't that long ago when a Hans wasn't mandatory.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on new harnesses.