Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:39 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts on new harnesses.

It's time to replace the harnesses in the Boxster. I usually go with Schroth. But, they are double the price of others. What are your opinions are the purchase?

Brand names are worth the extra cost?
Save the money, just make sure they're certified?
Specific brand names you guys prefer?
Any studies showing some are safer over the others?

Thanks in advance!!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not all webbing is created equal.

There are others that are smarter than I am who may be able to explain the differences but it boils down to the stretching characteristics of the webbing being different.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Not all webbing is created equal.

There are others that are smarter than I am who may be able to explain the differences but it boils down to the stretching characteristics of the webbing being different.
I can vouch for the stretch of the Schroths.

You coming to MSX?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

No. Too much on my plate right now. aka. Kids schedule is full of sports and I lose out.

MSX would be a good place to go check out hardware differences. I actually prefer the formula style cam lock as compared to the ones you see on normal schroth. Willans harness has the formula style as well. If I get to a real computer I can post up some differences.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:08 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No. Too much on my plate right now. aka. Kids schedule is full of sports and I lose out.

MSX would be a good place to go check out hardware differences. I actually prefer the formula style cam lock as compared to the ones you see on normal schroth. Willans harness has the formula style as well. If I get to a real computer I can post up some differences.
Yep. Totally understand. I'm flying solo this weekend...little ones are with the wife.

Yes, please post what you find. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Bottom left picture here. Slightly different than the others. It has a tap that is easier to hit and unlatch than the regular version they use.

https://www.schrothracing.com/compet...ula/formula-II

On the Willans it's even more prominent.

http://www.willans.com/sfi-16.1/cb63...shoulder-3-lap

It's just a preference thing really. I just like the idea of it being easier to hit to release if I'm panicking. Others feel they have a chance of hitting it while on course.

One other thing I've found is that the stiffer webbing didn't slowly loosen up as much on me during a race. I felt a few laps through a race I'd be tugging on the straps of the softer webbing where as the stiff webbing never was as much of an issue.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:21 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bottom left picture here. Slightly different than the others. It has a tap that is easier to hit and unlatch than the regular version they use.

https://www.schrothracing.com/compet...ula/formula-II

On the Willans it's even more prominent.

http://www.willans.com/sfi-16.1/cb63...shoulder-3-lap

It's just a preference thing really. I just like the idea of it being easier to hit to release if I'm panicking. Others feel they have a chance of hitting it while on course.

One other thing I've found is that the stiffer webbing didn't slowly loosen up as much on me during a race. I felt a few laps through a race I'd be tugging on the straps of the softer webbing where as the stiff webbing never was as much of an issue.
Cool thanks. That's an interesting way to do it. Is it still considered a 6 point?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I assume you are talking about the loop strap.

In a formula car you don't have the room to do a traditional sub. Yes it's a six point.

It is WAY more comfortable than the stuff we use in tin tops. The downside is it's not an adjustable thing and you have to set it up with lots of trial an error.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:30 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I just bought Schroth for my new race car build. HANS friendly (narrow) enduro belt set. Enduro makes it easier to tighten. It was $500+ but it's comfort and safety. I'll go cheaper on the nets before my belts. Plus to me the narrower shoulder harnesses for Hans is nice.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
It's time to replace the harnesses in the Boxster. I usually go with Schroth. But, they are double the price of others. What are your opinions are the purchase? Brand names are worth the extra cost? Save the money, just make sure they're certified? Specific brand names you guys prefer? Any studies showing some are safer over the others? Thanks in advance!!
I just bought Schroth for my new race car build. HANS friendly (narrow) enduro belt set. Enduro makes it easier to tighten. It was $500+ but it's comfort and safety. I'll go cheaper on the nets before my belts. Plus to me the narrower shoulder harnesses for Hans is nice.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:50 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I bought Schroth Profi II-6 harnesses and haven't looked back. I take pride in doing this hobby on the cheap but spend the extra cash on the Schroths because:

1) It's safety equipment
2) The latches and tensioners work really well
3) Very complete installation instructions
4) Came complete with mounting hardware
5) Linda at Apexperformance.net provided fantastic service

It hurt the pocketbook once, but I haven't looked back. Got a chance to drive a car with cheap G-Forces in it and they were night and day different than the Schroths (not in a good way).

You use them every time you use the car. Harnesses that are easy to latch, tighten and loosen are worth it. The webbing is also nice and flexible.

-Mike
Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the Schroth Enduro HANS 6-pt harness. More $$ but so easy to get in and out and very comfortable.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

I have been using TeamTech harnesses, the RAMPAC model, for over 10 years. They are the standard harness that 3R racing uses in all their cars. They have built in padding, HANS compatible, built 100% custom down to the stitching color. They also have an optional sternum strap that I always buy to eliminate the shoulder belts coming off your HANS. Small company with awesome service. www.teamtechmotorsports.com.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks guys! Going with a premium brand due to the comments here. Just makes sense. Although all belts meet the safety standards and are fine to use, the more expensive ones often exceed the standard.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:20 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

I bet it would be very hard to measure a difference in the outcomes between the high cost and reasonable cost belt systems. Many other factors will have far more influence on outcomes. Some belt systems are a bit better to live with in adjustment and buckling up but the overall safety system setup is far more a factor than a belt brand. Even things such as pull up or pull down can improve use.

I have seen a lot of $$$ equipment assembled in less than optimum ways and not just shade tree installs, from well-known shops too. How they are integrated into the system is far more important than brand.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on new harnesses.