Sponsored by:

How the mighty have fallen!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:50 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How the mighty have fallen!

Asking Toro Rosso for help? Really? This season is gonna be good!

http://www.gptours.com/mobile_news.p...290b-130215453

"If half the drivers fail to finish, then maybe we could take a few points."
Old 03-05-2014, 03:07 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 923 Likes on 557 Posts

I'd love to see Williams do well this year, Sir Frank can't have too many good years left even though it looks like his daughter will slowly take over the duties.

Wonder how long it will take Adrian to figure this out...
Old 03-05-2014, 03:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,154 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Although Red Bull cars are not expected to podium in Australia, I wouldn't declare them dead just yet. It's a long season and it's not wise to under estimate Adrian Newey, but for sure, they will not enjoy the fast start they usually do.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:18 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 815 Likes on 404 Posts

Oh, they are just sandbagging.......
Old 03-05-2014, 03:20 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Although Red Bull cars are not expected to podium in Australia, I wouldn't declare them dead just yet. It's a long season and it's not wise to under estimate Adrian Newey, but for sure, they will not enjoy the fast start they usually do.
Originally Posted by winders
Oh, they are just sandbagging.......
I do find it very hard to believe that Newey and Renault are having such a tough time. Makes no sense.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:40 PM
winders
Race Car

I don't. You can't nail it every time and all these systems (braking, power) are quite new and different.

The power systems problem isn't Newey's fault. The brake system issue is the team's fault. The team's mistake(s) are amplified by the power system issues because they have less time and resources to deal with their problems while scrambling to work with Renault to fix the power system problems.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:51 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only time will tell, but I am not expecting any of the Renault equipped teams to get out of Q1 and will any of these teams even finish the race down under in a little over a week from now? I suspect all the Renault cars will retire in big ***** of flames before half the race distance is completed. Some of Red Bull's issues are their own fault, but it also appears that Renault has delivered an absolute piece of junk compared to the other two engine power plant providers.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

It doesn't matter. Vettel and RBR are the best. They **** excellence. They will win all the races because Vettel is a supremely better driver than everyone else.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Now we will finally know just how good Vettel really is. I suspect many here will be disappointed.
Can't wait to see his face after not making it out of Q1!

Last edited by jbossolo; 03-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:29 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

I don't. You can't nail it every time and all these systems (braking, power) are quite new and different.

The power systems problem isn't Newey's fault. The brake system issue is the team's fault. The team's mistake(s) are amplified by the power system issues because they have less time and resources to deal with their problems while scrambling to work with Renault to fix the power system problems.
Oh, I agree that they got it wrong. But this is not a "time and resources" situation. No way.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:01 PM
winders
Race Car

Well, time is a finite commodity....and if you don't get the testing time you need, you don't have as much data as you might otherwise have. You don't have the time on the components to see what might be wrong with them. Add in all the issues with the power system and you resources are spread thinner than they might otherwise be. This all adds up to being less prepared than they usually are.

So yes, time and resources are an issue.....
Old 03-05-2014, 09:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,154 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
I do find it very hard to believe that Newey and Renault are having such a tough time. Makes no sense.
Newey didn't develop the motor only the packaging around the motor which he likes to make as tight as possible for aero reason, but compromises on the cooling. If all the Renault engine runners weren't so bad, I'd say Newey just needs to refine the chassis, but they are all running not only slow, but with reliability problems. It looks like the Lotus will be the top Renault powered car at least initially.

RBR did say at the end of the 2013 season that they were pushing hard up to the end to secure the championship at the expense of the 2014 package.

..... and we could all be wrong and Renault engines have the best fuel economy and will finish the race and the Mercedes and Ferrari runners will run out of their 100kg of fuel.....
Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 PM
winders
Race Car

Except all the Mercedes teams have run full race distances in testing and have a pretty good handle on the fuel requirements......

Have any of the Renault teams run full a race distance in testing yet?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Well, time is a finite commodity....and if you don't get the testing time you need, you don't have as much data as you might otherwise have. You don't have the time on the components to see what might be wrong with them. Add in all the issues with the power system and you resources are spread thinner than they might otherwise be. This all adds up to being less prepared than they usually are.

So yes, time and resources are an issue.....
Originally Posted by Pete
Newey didn't develop the motor only the packaging around the motor which he likes to make as tight as possible for aero reason, but compromises on the cooling. If all the Renault engine runners weren't so bad, I'd say Newey just needs to refine the chassis, but they are all running not only slow, but with reliability problems. It looks like the Lotus will be the top Renault powered car at least initially.

RBR did say at the end of the 2013 season that they were pushing hard up to the end to secure the championship at the expense of the 2014 package.

..... and we could all be wrong and Renault engines have the best fuel economy and will finish the race and the Mercedes and Ferrari runners will run out of their 100kg of fuel.....
Yes time and resources are a finite commodity, and yes, I know Newey didn't design the engine and he likes tight packaging. Leyton House anyone?

I have a hard time believing that Red Bull couldn't allocate resources for the chassis and it's subsystems and that Renault wasn't running the new engine formula on a test bench (or benches) for months, without it affecting the 2013 campaign. RB, along with Ferrari have long opposed any sort of budget cap, and Renault's history and resources speak for themselves. Okay, ultimately anything can be boiled down to time and resources. A gross misdirection in the chassis would be easier for me to accept based on time and resources. But systems and power, particularly when speculation suggests Force India and Williams could win races is unacceptable. No disrespect to either team intended.

Perhaps 2014 will simply be a changing of the tides.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:44 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Perhaps 2014 will simply be a changing of the tides.
I sincerely hope so.

Quick Reply: How the mighty have fallen!