Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AiM MXL2 Availability - Any Further Details?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts
Question AiM MXL2 Availability - Any Further Details?

Like the features and specs of the unit. http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...mxl2/index.htm

Jerry or Peter, any idea when "First Quarter 2014" is? Could it be 31-Mar-2014? At 23:59:59 CET?

Any further details available on the unit beyond what is on the webpage?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:55 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

ditto!!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,891 Posts

I think Jerry and I, among others, have burned up the phone lines to Roanoke and Lake Elsinore! Only know that it should be within the next four to six weeks. MXG was reputed to come first, then the MXL2 and the SC GP HD, but I just don't know... I guarantee that it will be posted here ASAP.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peter,

One thing that intrigues me is the connectivity via OBDII. Since my Cup is an older model (2001), it does NOT have the Bosch Motorsports ECU installed. Rather it uses a Porsche ECU for engine management. For now, the setup taps an RPM signal at the dash and gets speed values from the GPS. We have Oil pressure and water temp, plus battery values and fuel level programmed. But looking at what values are available from the ECU - even via an OBD-II connection, would it be more beneficial to sample THAT data? It may become a moot point when the engine goes to PMNA for a rebuild as I understand PMNA is building 996 Cup motors to a 2005 level and the rebuild includes the Bosch MS3.1 ECU (only my understanding from conversations with various folks). But there is an available OBD-II port in the car that would certainly make connections easier. And the Wi-Fi capabilities of the MXL2 are certainly enticing.

Any sense of pricing yet?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank Aimsports US for the time it takes to come out. For example with the SmartyCam they kept saying no, it's not there to Italy. Europe had the SmartyCam before the US but ended up being a bunch of beta testers.

It will show up when it shows up. Timing is never good. Customs is fast/slow. Rewriting the software is fast/slow. They won't know the exact date until it's in their hands. But however long that is, it will be worth it.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Peter,

One thing that intrigues me is the connectivity via OBDII. Since my Cup is an older model (2001), it does NOT have the Bosch Motorsports ECU installed. Rather it uses a Porsche ECU for engine management. For now, the setup taps an RPM signal at the dash and gets speed values from the GPS. We have Oil pressure and water temp, plus battery values and fuel level programmed. But looking at what values are available from the ECU - even via an OBD-II connection, would it be more beneficial to sample THAT data? It may become a moot point when the engine goes to PMNA for a rebuild as I understand PMNA is building 996 Cup motors to a 2005 level and the rebuild includes the Bosch MS3.1 ECU (only my understanding from conversations with various folks). But there is an available OBD-II port in the car that would certainly make connections easier. And the Wi-Fi capabilities of the MXL2 are certainly enticing.

Any sense of pricing yet?
Toby, there is connectivity to the car via CAN (a high speed, multiplexed data network within the car that runs between the engine ECU and the dash cluster), but the information sent to the actual OBD-II (on-board diagnostics connector) is neutered and at a much slower refresh rate. Only in SOME cars, post 2009, is CAN sent to the OBD-II connector and you can just simply plug in. It's still only two wires and an easy install. The MS 3.1 ECU does not offer an OBD-II connector, IIRC. There is, however, a Motorsport connector pigtail for easy data use.

The MXL Pista, EVO 4 and now MXL2 and MXG will all offer ECU and vehicle sensor information via the CAN connection. The Bluetooth or 802.11 connectivity (not sure what all is offered) will allow simple data transfer to your laptop at your paddock or pitside. Pricing estimate for the MXL2 is $1999 and the MXG $550-$700 more.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter. I'll check and see if there are any readily available access paths into the in-car CAN network. I think my car is one of those that falls into no-mans land when trying to get at the ECU since it's not a Bosch MS ECU. And I think it may pre-date CAN support as well.

I was afraid that the OBD-II connection would be much too slow for what the dash needs.

Will just have to wait on the PMNA (eventual) rebuild/seal that will get me the Bosch MS 3.1 ECU for the engine.

Toby
Old 02-28-2014, 09:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff

Will just have to wait on the PMNA (eventual) rebuild/seal that will get me the Bosch MS 3.1 ECU for the engine.

Toby
Yes, the best way!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:12 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I got an e-mail from AIM Italy president today. The dashes are complete and ready to ship, they are just finishing the software and hope that to be ready very soon. As we all know in the US, this doesn't mean next week.

As frustrating it was to wait for the SC HD units, I have to say that they did an great job and sent us excellent units. I've sold a bunch and none have had any issues, with the exception of a few sound problems. It's a tough balance, but I prefer products that work

Toby, I don't think Porsche did CAN until 2002, but worth a check. Bosch 3.1 is awesome
Old 03-01-2014, 09:30 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

What do you gentleman suggest as data - video setup for a 1996 Porsche twin turbo with stock motor/ECU etc. ?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Solo/SmartyCam
Old 03-01-2014, 12:20 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

How do you connect the Solo DL to 1996 Porsche ECU? CAN wiring?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Just the Solo, not the SoloDL for a display. Can won't work, Don't think OBD will either on a 993. IIRC it only started talking to 996 and later cars. But you can pull an RPM signal.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:24 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

993 will not provide any data from ECU. I'm pushing AIM to equip the SOLO DL to read RPM only, for pre-ECU cars. No luck yet. That said, the DL will do nothing in the 993, sorry
Old 03-01-2014, 04:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No. For a 993, EVO 4/G-dash/SC HD or VVBox Lite or Race-Keeper HDX.

Gotta be able to accept standard RPM input and analog sensors.

No CAN on 993, so no Solo DL capability to read it, but Jerry covered that.

Last edited by ProCoach; 03-02-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: AiM MXL2 Availability - Any Further Details?