Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AiM MXL2 Availability - Any Further Details?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,677 Posts

It's called; "vaporware..."

And no, I'm not trying to be funny...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-25-2014, 10:50 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

At least here all of the AIM dealers have been good about not promising anything anytime soon!!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:48 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My post in another forum this morning:

A few things, fellows. AIM Italy does not coordinate well with any of the worldwide distributors, and they are typically Italian in the fact that they announce stuff as a "concept"'and worry about how to build it and make it work, later... The existing and available products are very good, as a matter of fact, the best product lineup they've ever had, not only in function and value, but they're damn reliable, too. The MXL Pista is a legacy piece, first released TEN years ago! I don't know about Louis DAngeli, but I can sell you a new MXL Pista TODAY, from stock, but I don't recommend it. Instead, I recommend the EVO 4/G-Dash or EVO 4/MXL-Dash because of triaxial accelerometers and MUCH better, integrated GPS capabilities, and also because of the tidier form factor. I've sold a dozen of these combos in the last six weeks alone, some to people tired of waiting for the new display/loggers. It's the same advice I've given since PRI 2012... Get something NOW, there will always be something new...

Onto the "vaporware" loggers. The MXL2 had been in the works for almost 4 years. The MXG was commissioned by Volkswagen for a concept car dash, then adapted in a VERY limited configuration for some one-make series (Opel and Fiat) in Europe and supposedly (because I've never seen anything but pics) released for those cars this year.

The reason why they're delayed here is because the head of AIM's largest worldwide distributor, Mike Jaynes in the US, will NOT release the product until it WORKS, with at least MOST of the features advertised. AIM had realized after they announced the new dashes in December 2012, that the state of the art was changing fast. Due to the inclusion of onboard processors to allow for internal math channel generation and nearly infinite CAN input (they got that down) and output (and this is one of the major delays) configuration by the hardware itself (a la Pi, MoTeC, Bosch and other seriously high-end pro level display/loggers), AIM switched gears and did a total hardware revamp starting October of 2013. Now, with a display/logger that has it's own OS, new challenges require new analysis/configuration software and firmware code. The big issues now are custom sensor configuration and CAN out, as far as I know. Now, if AIM had NEVER announced these two new display/loggers, nobody would have a problem. The last time AIM did this was in 2009 with the original SmartyCam, released prematurely and really leaving a black eye on AIM. That's been fixed mostly with the new SmartyCam HD because it's such a good product, but the ten month delay between its announcement at PRI in 2012 and the time we as dealers had them in our hot little hands was spent making SURE the damn thing was not a repeat of the original debacle. It's not been that. So, in answer to the question, no one knows when these products will be released, and it's irresponsible for anyone to claim knowledge otherwise. We do know that for the most part, the hardware is done, and there are between half a dozen and a dozen people worldwide working on finishing the software/firmware EVERY DAY. I think it will be this fall, but I tell people not to hold their breath. There's plenty of good stuff out right now you can buy and put to good use RIGHT AWAY. This is not one of those things that you can buy, yet...
Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Well said Peter. I would add that they are going to have the GPS integrated in a way that no one else does and will add some interesting possibilities into analysis. But, it will be done when it's done. The current systems will do everything (and more) that 99.5% of people need.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I know we're all excited, Matt! Thanks for the additional insight.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Peter and Matt,

Thanks for the additional information on the process. Having spent my entire professional life in information technology, AND having witnessed some colossal project failures in almost 40 years in this business, I am not surprised by the comments. You just gotta love those software architects and developers who think themselves "artistes" and re-invent the wheel because their envisioned product (or service) is unique or special (trust me, those core components like a small form-factor OS are probably NOT). These guys never seem to learn how to reuse components that are proven and then add their secret sauce on top. It's no wonder software projects spin out of control!

My only hope is that AiM will make sure they have an EXCELLENT product manager responsible for the MXG and MXL2 products. One who knows how to manage scope and feature creep and also knows how to keep the developers in line. Without that guiding force, this release will, sadly, mimic that of the original SmartyCam (yes, I had one of those too! I just love living on the bleeding edge sometimes!).

I know Peter, Jerry and Matt will keep us posted on news and progress. I'll just continue to stir the pot every now and then........ It's so much fun!

Toby
Old 08-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bueller? Bueller? Is it soup yet?? My birthday is coming up in a week or so. Just thought I would ask for the heck of it!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaaa a
Old 08-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just tryin' to add a little levity here.

Perhaps I should be hoping for a lump of coal for Christmas?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoy the thread. As it is the perfect example of what I told AIM when the original SmartyCam rollout happened. Frustrating for all involved. They would have sold more stuff if they hadn't said a thing about it last year and waited until this fall to announce the new toys. And people would be happier too.

As I said before. I do like that AIM is not just rushing the product to the shelves like some other motorsports mfrs do. But it sure would be nice to not have to continually tell people that I have no news.

All that being said, I'm looking forward to putting an MXL2 or MXG in my racecar ASAP.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Absolutely no news AT LEAST until the end of the Italian Agosto "holiday," which traditionally lasts until Labor Day.

A few have trickled out in Europe and the software is buggy enough to warrant great appreciation to Mike Jaynes and Mick McKnight here in the US for NOT pulling the trigger and releasing these units until these issues are worked out.

The product will be great. I've gotten communications from MoTeC indicating that they are at last considering these products worthy competitors, but until they work well with legacy sensors, legacy and current AiM devices and existing AiM CAN capable products, they shouldn't be released.

I'm hopeful for the winter build season...
Old 08-27-2014, 04:53 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I constantly check this thread too... building my 986S into a racer this winter and no reason to spend money on the old stuff when this is coming out. Hopefully they get the kinks worked out pretty soon!
Old 08-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
I constantly check this thread too... building my 986S into a racer this winter and no reason to spend money on the old stuff when this is coming out. Hopefully they get the kinks worked out pretty soon!
While the MXL or Evo4 are the "old stuff," they still do way more than most people will use. If you have a build that is ready, waiting for the dash, don't delay. Get an Evo4 or MXL and be up and running.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want to get going on a build, I will sell you an EVO 4 w/ G-dash or a MXL Pista now and take it back for full credit when the MXL2 and MXG come out if you want to upgrade. If you have an ECU car, I can sell you either unit for $1400
Old 09-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

And we are one day shy of yet another month passing by.

Is there, per chance, any update from our Italian friends on this piece of equipment and its associated software?

Quick Reply: AiM MXL2 Availability - Any Further Details?