Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AiM MXL2 Availability - Any Further Details?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Krista, it's coming...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-28-2014, 05:31 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing in hand, just promises.............
Old 05-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Just keeping the dream alive......... Any updates on MXL2 progress and availability??
Old 05-09-2014, 09:32 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Talked to AIM yesterday (again) still no commitment. He thought he'd have units a week ago.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just my weekly "ping" on the off chance that AiM surprised us all!

Patiently waiting (OK, maybe not so much) in Dallas
Old 05-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No news when I talked to them a few days back.

Pretty sure when there is news, one of the at least 6 AIM dealers on this site will post something.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The hardware is done, the software and firmware are not...
Old 05-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

We must be getting closer! There is a firmware update (14.05.01) for the GPS module to add compatibility for the MXL2 and MXG that came out this week.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2014, 10:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
We must be getting closer! There is a firmware update (14.05.01) for the GPS module to add compatibility for the MXL2 and MXG that came out this week.
Yep. Got the heads up from Roger on that this morning.

That said, it's a very long ways from releasing FW updates so ONE existing product works with new product and the point where equipment is being released along with the software to run and configure it.

They have many other devices they need to have working with this. Channel Expansions, LCU-Ones, TC hubs, plus they have CAN enabled accessories like remote buttons and CAN control they need to sign off on.

It is encouraging, but when everyone is out of both HD cams and the expected delivery date is pushed from 5/15 to 6/1 and shaky at that, it's just going to be when it's going to be.

A double-edged sword. They make good stuff at an attractive price point and don't have enough in the pipeline to even scratch filling demand...

Can you tell I'm frustrated?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:33 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While waiting and pining for actual release, I've been thinking about integration of non-Aim sensors that are 0-5v analog (eg brake pressure already plumbed and installed). What's the preferred wiring method, splice to an Aim patch cable for simple connection to dash?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I spent some time yesterday on the way back from Mid-Ohio in Roanoke at AiM Sports East with MyChron Mike, Cameron and the fellows! Fun stuff!

However, after talking to them at length (and pestering Josh Hanrahan, whose birthday is tomorrow ), I don't think we're super close on the MXL2/MXG availability. While some units are trickling out in one-make championships in Europe, the software is nowhere ready for prime-time, especially converting and taking up custom configs and sensors from more complicated legacy equipment. It has required new software because of the architecture (processor) change in those dashes, so we'll need to wait until it passes QA and is more fully functional than it is now.

The integration of non-AiM sensors, while a little more time consuming on the hardware and software end, is not too difficult. I have built (and prefer to have built for me by AIM and other suppliers) adapter cables to maintain the terminal ends on the existing sensors.

For instance, I update a lot of older legacy systems like CDS and Pi to more modern AiM loggers, specifically the EVO 4.

I have made a SureSeal to 712 Binder patch cable so that I can just connect the existing Pi or CDS sensors (at their end) to the logger or channel expansion on an EVO 4. Or, you could do a SureSeal to 719 Binder patch cable for the MXL.

Then, create a custom sensor calibration that matches the curve of the sensor, voltage or resistance. This is very simple if it's a linear sensor, say 500 mV is equal to 0 psi on a particular brake pressure sensor, and the sensor manufacturer says it's 4500 mV at 2000 psi. Enter those two and it does the rest automatically. You can do more complicated curves, too.

Not bad at all. No hacking required, either.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Like Peter said, it's pretty easy to do your own sensors. I've done a bunch of different ones (have a few going in the car right now!).

One thing to note though - there are a lot of sensors with the calibration tables already done for you that you can get through AiM or the dealers. They have MAP sensors, airbox pressure, IR temps for tires and brakes, motorsport quality pressure senders (instead of the VDO ones), linear sensors for shock travel, and more. Some of these, like the IR temp sensors, come with molded connectors instead of the soldered connections. That is not really a big deal, but they are a little more robust.

Check out the bottom of this page http://www.trailbrake.net/data-systems.html for a list of sensor suppliers. Just remember, once you have the data you have to be able to act on it to make it worthwhile.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

So here we are at the end of July (almost), so I thought I'd ask about any news. I just like to stir the pot every now and then!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Keep stirring! That stew will taste good, when it's ready!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:39 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

kind of a crappy way of doing business to display something with no idea of when it will come out. The nay sayers on when it will be out are probably closer to correct.

Quick Reply: AiM MXL2 Availability - Any Further Details?