Sponsored by:

New Automotive Reality TV Series Seeking Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:34 PM
OptimaJim
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Automotive Reality TV Series Seeking Drivers

Optima Batteries' Search for the Ultimate Street Car TV Series will begin filming their first episode at the Ultimate Street Car Association event at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on March 7-9th. Unlike some automotive TV shows, this will feature real street cars, real competition and the top contenders will be invited to the 2014 SEMA Show and the 2014 OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational. All 11 episodes will be filmed and broadcast on MavTV.

Other tracks include Texas Motor Speedway, Daytona International Speedway, Auto Club Speedway, Road America, Gateway Motorsports Park, Portland International, Michigan International, Sebring and Pittsburgh International.

If you've ever wanted to get on any of these tracks and/or get on TV, this is your chance. Click here for more information on the USCA, the TV Show and how you can get in on the action.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why haven't you done the same thing for Chump Car?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-02-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:44 AM
OptimaJim
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Why haven't you done the same thing for Chump Car?
That's a good question. I don't know the answer, but maybe we can figure it out together. Why do you suppose no one has done something like this with ChumpCar?

Jim McIlvaine
Old 02-27-2014, 12:20 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
That's a good question. I don't know the answer, but maybe we can figure it out together. Why do you suppose no one has done something like this with ChumpCar?

Jim McIlvaine
Because we're chumps? Beats me. There was enough drama and wrecks at Rd Atlanta a couple of weeks ago to make one hell of a hour long program. A decent film crew, combined with the readily available in-car video that almost every car has, could gin up something that would beat most reality shows, and cost almost nothing.

If Big John approves, of course.

How about this: send a producer/talking head and a camera gal to my house to document my car that I am building, I'll send you a little video periodically to update you on progress, and then you can spotlight us, the #32 Supra, Team MOCIAP, on the 1st show!!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Because we're chumps? Beats me. There was enough drama and wrecks at Rd Atlanta a couple of weeks ago to make one hell of a hour long program.
Maybe this would not be the best showcase for the amateur side of our sport
Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Maybe this would not be the best showcase for the amateur side of our sport
OK, I get it. Only Patrick Dempsey and Rolex/Tudor/IMSA can represent amateur motor racing.

No problem, I'll just head on back to the double-wide. After I get the new batch of corn mash cooking, I might work a bit on the car I've got up on blocks in the front yard.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Maybe you missed my point. A crashfest does not show our sport in its best light IMO.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:53 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Maybe you missed the fact that we were talking about TV. People, at least Americans, will only tune in to watch motor sports if there are crashes.

NASCAR realized this years ago. F1 has become a follow the leader yawner.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Who cares how the pro series are portrayed?

Do you really want insurance policies that DE organizations have to buy to double or triple in price? Do you really want DE's to go away? Then by all means portray grassroots motorsport events as crashfests.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Who cares how the pro series are portrayed?

Do you really want insurance policies that DE organizations have to buy to double or triple in price? Do you really want DE's to go away? Then by all means portray grassroots motorsport events as crashfests.
I don't buy that argument at all. Insurance companies are in the business to make money. If they thought there was any way to gouge more money out of DEs, they would already be doing it.

Put that condescending emoticon up your tailpipe.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I don't buy that argument at all. Insurance companies are in the business to make money. If they thought there was any way to gouge more money out of DEs, they would already be doing it.

Put that condescending emoticon up your tailpipe.
LOL...simmer down, Malibu Barbie

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Since perception is reality, if the perception is raised that DE's are higher risk, I assure you that the reality is that premiums will increase substantially.

But...what do I know? I merely make my living in motorsports...
Old 02-28-2014, 12:48 PM
OptimaJim
Former Vendor

Because we're chumps? Beats me. There was enough drama and wrecks at Rd Atlanta a couple of weeks ago to make one hell of a hour long program. A decent film crew, combined with the readily available in-car video that almost every car has, could gin up something that would beat most reality shows, and cost almost nothing.

If Big John approves, of course.

How about this: send a producer/talking head and a camera gal to my house to document my car that I am building, I'll send you a little video periodically to update you on progress, and then you can spotlight us, the #32 Supra, Team MOCIAP, on the 1st show!!
Maybe I don't understand the expense involved in producing something like this, because I was under the impression that it takes far more resources than Optima alone is capable of providing to produce even a single hour-long episode. How much does it cost to hire a decent film crew for a 14-hour race and a production company to professionally edit hundreds of hours of footage into a one-hour show?

Jim McIlvaine
Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Going to run the full course at Road America or the short version they ran last year?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Since perception is reality, if the perception is raised that DE's are higher risk, I assure you that the reality is that premiums will increase substantially.
Back in the mid-nineties I was always amazed at the complete lack of deer crossing signs going into turn 1 @ the banked oval in Loudon, NH.

Quick Reply: New Automotive Reality TV Series Seeking Drivers