Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel studs- worth checking and/or replacing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Studs break, but so do wheel bolts, albeit not nearly as frequently.

Don't get lulled into a false sense of security because you are still using bolts.

Who the heck knows what the contributing factors are, so be proactive and replace at "some" interval.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
Alternate Theory:

Maybe the brake rotor failed first (when you felt the "clag") and then when you hit the brakes the center of the rotor interfered with the main part of the rotor and that tore up the studs.

It seems odd to me that if the 5 studs just broke, why would the center of the rotor gotten destroyed? I assume you hit the brake and that should have stopped the rotor.

Just thinking...
Possibly. Those are 7Cup rotors and rear to boot on an underpowered/underweight baby cup or whatever you want to call it.But regardless both are being replaced.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the duplication. Airplane wifi + iPad conspiracy.

Last edited by Ritter v4.0; 02-17-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Center of the Rotor could have gotten destroyed from the impact of hitting the ground / gravel.

Torque check should have no appreciable effect on the fatigue strength, provided nothing moves.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 PM
CTS
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 86 Posts

What is holding the studs into the spacer/wheel assembly? Why did they not go flying once the studs broke?

What is your torque spec?

Chris Cervelli
Old 02-18-2014, 11:04 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Glad you are ok.

What is the preferred tool you guys use to remove the studs? Any specific make/model? I'd rather not use a sledge hammer.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the studs under a microscope. If they were over torqued you should be able to see the thread creep towards the outside wheel.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by CTS
What is holding the studs into the spacer/wheel assembly? Why did they not go flying once the studs broke?

What is your torque spec?

Chris Cervelli
It looks like the studs got bound to the face of the brake rotor hub as the wheel fell off, shearing the face of the hub off with the wheel. I'd expect to see the hub face on the other side of the wheel holding those studs in place?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:06 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
It looks like the studs got bound to the face of the brake rotor hub as the wheel fell off, shearing the face of the hub off with the wheel. I'd expect to see the hub face on the other side of the wheel holding those studs in place?
The more I've thought about this the more I think this is true. I also doubt all the studs broke at once. It likely started with one and the additional loading cascaded to the others. This is likely what caused the "clag" feeling. Once the studs started breaking, bending, and binding with the rotor face, axial wheel loading pulled the rotor face apart because part of the rotor was trapped by the caliper.

I bet if you put a lug wrench on the loose wheel you could spin those lugs fairly easily.

Nasty failure and the outcome could have been a whole lot worse. I don't recall if it was asked, how old were the studs?

-Mike
Old 02-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the delay in response as I was traveling and this is my first day back at work in 2 weeks.

I no longer have first hand visual info to share but the studs are still in the wheel because as I recall they were not cleanly sheared but slightly bent/twisted. as they let go.

We'll be doing more forensic work on this so thanks for all the suggestions. I'll post an update once I receive one.

Btw the studs were over 80+ hrs old and torqued to just over 90 ft/lbs.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you stated you torqued the studs to 90 ft.-lbs, you really mean the wheel nuts, right? The torque for mounting the studs to the hub should only be 15-20 ft.-lbs.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAI2
When you stated you torqued the studs to 90 ft.-lbs, you really mean the wheel nuts, right? The torque for mounting the studs to the hub should only be 15-20 ft.-lbs.
Yes- the nuts.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My wrench Dan @ The Speed Gallery just reminded me of when the 2 little screws that hold the rotor to the wheel carrier backed out of one of my rears wheels. When I tightened the wheel I could see it didn't fit properly and called him over to look. He removed the wheel and sure enough, those 2 little screws had backed out just enough to keep the wheel from fitting tightly against the rotor hub. It would be easy to miss and going out like that could easily cause enough vibration to break off studs but also could break off the little screws leaving a void between the wheel and the rotor. Either way could be catastrophic....
Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You might also want to take a look at your wheel bearings , when they go bad they can make a lot of heat and do weird stuff.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:36 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the exact same thing happen to the right rear of a Boxster last year. The car was beached at the turn onto No-Name. Total wheel stud failure from some after market stuff.

Quick Reply: Wheel studs- worth checking and/or replacing