Sponsored by:

Wheel studs- worth checking and/or replacing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Are factory lug bolts prone to failure on a 996? If not, why switch to studs?
Studs are very common on race cars. They make quickly changing wheels/tires at the track much easier & simpler.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:56 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Studs are very common on race cars. They make quickly changing wheels/tires at the track much easier & simpler.
I was curious if it was due to reliability as my J-class 996 lug bolts have 110,000 miles on them. In 18 years of club racing I have yet to see something like Ritter's failure! Yikes!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:59 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts

Ritter - when you say you have the car "nut and bolted" after each weekend, are you actually re-torqueing various hardware elements on the car, or just checking the paint marks to see if they are still in position? I'd imagine re-torqueing the hardware numerous times per year will result in hardware/fastener fatigue and not be a favorable practice. Just curious!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Ritter - when you say you have the car "nut and bolted" after each weekend, are you actually re-torqueing various hardware elements on the car, or just checking the paint marks to see if they are still in position? I'd imagine re-torqueing the hardware numerous times per year will result in hardware/fastener fatigue and not be a favorable practice. Just curious!
Both. Visual to check for movement and retorquing depending on the bolts.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, glad your okay and that explains the 5laps vs the rest of the field
Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 550 Posts

I remember a few years back being parked next to a certain dromaeosaurid, who experienced a stud breaking off....and then another....and another, while he was changing tires - scared the bejesus out of me. Always change studs every year now...well until I got this bloody CL system.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I remember a few years back being parked next to a certain dromaeosaurid, who experienced a stud breaking off....and then another....and another, while he was changing tires - scared the bejesus out of me. Always change studs every year now...well until I got this bloody CL system.
Yes, that would be Yours Truly. And you get 5 bonus points for correct use of the poindexterish big word
Old 02-17-2014, 10:05 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a similar experience with my former 968 track car. I decided to replace all the studs not knowing how many hours were on them and to avoid a disastrous outcome.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Alternate Theory:

Maybe the brake rotor failed first (when you felt the "clag") and then when you hit the brakes the center of the rotor interfered with the main part of the rotor and that tore up the studs.

It seems odd to me that if the 5 studs just broke, why would the center of the rotor gotten destroyed? I assume you hit the brake and that should have stopped the rotor.

Just thinking...
Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a blessing to not have anything worse happen, Barber doesn't have lots of runoff room. But thank goodness it wasn't Road Atlanta with much bigger speeds.

Those look like the exact same studs I just got. Certain to be replaced yearly for sure!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:47 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
Alternate Theory:

Maybe the brake rotor failed first (when you felt the "clag") and then when you hit the brakes the center of the rotor interfered with the main part of the rotor and that tore up the studs.

It seems odd to me that if the 5 studs just broke, why would the center of the rotor gotten destroyed? I assume you hit the brake and that should have stopped the rotor.

Just thinking...
Seems like a possibility to me. It almost looks like all five studs broke simultaneously which is not how I would expect a stud failure to happen.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:37 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Alternate Theory:

Just thinking...
Very plausible
Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Glad you came out ok.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:39 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I do mine every two years. Don't over torque them and never torque them hot. I check tire pressures after a session and do bolt torque before a session. If you are worried about forgetting, leave the torque wrench in the driver's seat. I also inspect the wheel for cracks when I torque.

The face of the rotor coming apart is weird, but I'm not all that familiar with Porsches. It's also odd that the fracture points are below the surface of the hub. How did the bolts shear, but manage to keep the face of the rotor attached to the wheel? Is the rotor threaded? How is the brake rotor face staying attached to the wheel?

Perhaps the studs are bent and the resulting friction is what is holding the rotor face to the wheel? If the studs are bent, that seems to indicate the studs failed first, perhaps bound onto the rotor face and tried to pull it off from the wheel loading. Rotor faces are not really strong when being pulled away from the hub. I've pulled rotor faces off while trying to remove stuck rotors and it didn't take a lot of force to do it. The only thing holding the rest of the rotor on the car is the brake caliper.

-Mike
Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Alternate Theory:

Just thinking...
Yeah it's weird. Detailed pictures of the fracture surfaces of all studs and the rotor would likely tell which part failed first and by what mechanism.

Quick Reply: Wheel studs- worth checking and/or replacing