Sponsored by:

First time at big willow, quick and dirty vis inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:24 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts
Default First time at big willow, quick and dirty vis inside

Starting my second year with POC, graduating from pds to time attack (nee trial). Ran yesterday at big willow in my 76 3.2

Didn't get a chance to get race capture installed, but wanted to play with data, so turned on harrys lap timer and put it in my pocket before each session. Later in the day I started running the cameras: one gopro 3 silver running in 1080p/30 and medium FoV mounted on the cage and one gopro 3+ mounted running in the new 1080p/30 "SuperView" FoV mounted outside.

With just a very minor edit of the two angles, I was able to cut the clips to my fast lap and import them to Harrys where it took care of compositing them and doing the overlay. The amazing part to me is that because the iphone has hardware support for the video features, the new vid renders in just a minute or two. Unfortunately the G accelerations didn't work in my pocket, but it's nice to see track position and speed to give some context.

I am slow and don't have near the capability that the car does, but I'm having fun. I know I'm leaving tons of speed out there. Anyways, here is the vid, appreciate any comments/feedback on my driving or vid production

Old 02-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Nice video. Saw your car, will come say hi next time, I've just "graduated" from PDS too, but was running in PDS this weekend. Some fast guys there in the PDS class. The wind this weekend was hell on lap times, felt like car picked up and moved a car-width when in 3 and 8-9. Little hairy at the speeds in 8-9. I was in a silver 07 RS.

I have also been using HLT, it's a little bit frustrating, the UI is super non-intuitive. I have an external GPS (Dual) and the data is pretty good. I'm not using it for Video,just data, and have the iPhone in my center console, start before the run. The acceleration works about 50% of the time and depends on it being set steady to work right. I'm using a go pro for video on my roll bar. Just start both at start of session.

What I "do" like about HLT is the ability to do on the fly, right after the run, on your phone, lap comparisons and see entry/exit speeds across the course, it showed me how I was over-braking going into 2, for example. That's a great feature that doesn't require a laptop like a SOLO would.

However, the export of the lap data isn't very powerful. it's either a lap, a "day" or "everything". For me, i record a session 10x over a weekend, have 10 videos, I want to export the 10 sessions, then overlay on the videos. That's kind of hard to do with HLT.

Race Render works pretty good, though. I have the 'free' version right now but you can overlay multiple videos along with data, and do all the overlays for a full session on your computer. Like HLT the interface isn't too intuitive, but it's not bad. The new version that just came out makes it easy to sync the data with the videos.

I'll post a video with a layover from race render later today from one of my runs.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

My 16 year old daughter was at Willow Springs for her first time too in the PDS (Just Sunday) in the white 944 Spec race car. Her first session going into T8 at speed the wind moved the car high into the marbles... that got her attention quickly.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I was wondering who that was. Your daughter was hauling in that 944, put me to shame turn 3-6 especially. Really nice driving!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:27 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

That looks like a fun track, not much further than Button willow from San Jose.

But it does look like you want to avoid the corner burms, not very wide!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Newbie lap, instructor comment "good line, you're leaving a LOT on the table" Yup.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:36 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Despite the winds, sounds like it was still a great time.

Could not get my car ready in time for the season opener with the POC.

Hoping to make it out to Chuckwalla.

Trending Topics

Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I was wondering who that was. Your daughter was hauling in that 944, put me to shame turn 3-6 especially. Really nice driving!
Thanks, I'll let her know you said that. She's had a few years of kart racing experience but new to the third pedal in the car.

We have some video while following you. I'll post once I've got some time to edit.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:59 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It looked like the winds were maybe worse on Sunday than Saturday? I wasn't there, but I was occasionally checking in with my phone to see some of the lap times with Race Monitor.

I haven't driven with (or instructed for) POC in a number of years, but I did a corner-by-corner guide for the track that might be helpful, if you're still pretty new to Big Willow.

And here's an interesting look at how the winds can effect lap speeds at different points on the track. It's a side-by-side comparison of a lap from January 2013 and one from January of 2014. For the most recent one, I had 25-mph winds out of the southwest. It cost me a lot of speed on the front straight, gave me better acceleration and a higher top speed on th eback straight, and (of course) made 8-9 more exciting.

I've been going to Willow for 14 years, now. I never get tired of that track, because -- as simple as it might look -- there's always more time hiding in it.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jack, appreciate the links, will study for my next venture out. The winds were stronger on Sunday. Looks like they were blowing the same as in your video. I know in my case I was slower as I do not carry as much speed going into turn 8 (guts & experience!) compared to the front straight, and the front straight the wind is head on in your face. The winds also made turn 3 and turn 8-9 pretty hairy, as Pete mentioned, I had the same issue almost fighting in turn 8 to get the car to apex as the wind was pushing the car very wide.

I enjoy the track a lot. It has definitely helped with a level of confidence and car control at speed that you won't get on many tracks. Plus it's pretty close by.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:53 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Yes, I always tell students to approach Willow incrementally. You don't want to suddenly get brave with turns 1 or 9.

On my first visit there, 14 years ago, my best time was a 1:56. And that was with the same basic car I'm driving today. It was (and continues to be) a slow steady march to better lap times. But that's also what makes the track so great. There is always a little more to find in those eight 'simple' corners.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jack, My daughter studied your video on youtube for Willow Springs before going out on Sunday. She did pretty good with the exception of her first session on Sunday where the wind took her off line in 8, but she was able to go through 1 and 2 really well, 2-8 pretty well and but was braking too much before 9 right until her last session where she was carrying a lot more speed. In the 944 Spec she got down to a 1:44.

Strong headwinds going down the front straight

Last edited by multi21; 02-12-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Well, I still brake too much for 9, and I've been driving through it, well, almost as long as your daughter's been alive. So, she doesn't have much to apologize for.

And the same goes for 8 in the wind. I was getting fairly consistent lap times on January 31st, but occasionally I'd be suddenly moved over about a car's width in 8. Usually, it would be to the left. But sometimes I'd enter with a steady gust and when it stopped, the car would lurch to the right.

A 1:44 is a very respectable time for a first visit in a 944 Spec.

Here's my favorite picture from my last trip to Willow:

Last edited by JackOlsen; 02-12-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:45 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Spyerx - is that me in the passenger seat in your avatar? Looks like Streets from last year.

Sorry to hijack the tread...
Old 02-13-2014, 02:51 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 400hp944
Hey Spyerx - is that me in the passenger seat in your avatar? Looks like Streets from last year.

Sorry to hijack the tread...
Hey there! I think so? I need to check which pic that is. I blame you for getting me hooked on this. Good to see you this past weekend.

Quick Reply: First time at big willow, quick and dirty vis inside