Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time at big willow, quick and dirty vis inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! It's a slippery slope my friend.... You're doing great by the way.

Speaking of cameras... I just got a Gopro Black addition and used it for the first time this past weekend. I had it set on 1080 / 30 wide angle. The video is, for lack of a better term, choppy. It's as if there aren't enough frames per second. The movement is not fluid, but kinda skips - Such as when my arm moves from the steering wheel to the shifter and the motion outside the car is the same. (example - when passing a corner worker, they are there then they're gone) Is this because it's set on 30 fps? Not sure I'm explaining this well but I hope you get the drift. Video quality is crystal clear though.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:51 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Finally got around to editing a couple different cameras. Hot lap from inside the car and a Drift HD cam on the roof. Needs to improve her lines here and there but for a first time out and the fact we later found out we were down on power with a bent valve in the #2 cyl., (need to redo the head ) on 2 year old RA1, extra weight in the passenger seat, she was turning some pretty good laps

Old 02-16-2014, 02:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Roof cam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqyYH...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqyYH...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-16-2014, 03:03 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
.... but that's also what makes the track so great. There is always a little more to find in those eight 'simple' corners.
Hallelujah brother. Regardless of how fast your lap was or how much you broke your old record by, you always know that you left something on the table....
Old 02-16-2014, 03:14 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Great going by your daughter Pete. She looks like she has some real talent and isn't it fantastic to see a young girl learning some skills that will help her in everyday life. Car control.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks all!

Spyerx: please do stop by and say Hi next time. (that goes for all rennlist/POC!) Not sure if I'll make chuckwalla as I may have a double booking, but will try to make most POC events this year. My blue 76 is usually pitted with my buddy Vinh's grey 997 C4GTS.

Jack: Thanks for the pointers. I knew of your vid (pitmate Vinh was praising it all day saturday) and meant to watch it that night but got distracted with getting my own vid working Your car was the inspiration during my shopping, and I run a similar car that I drive to/from track. It's Frank Powell's old car, built by Mark Kenninger (originally meant for himself, he told me this weekend :P), a 76 w/ a pretty mild 84 3.2, SC steel flares, FG IROC bumpers & thorough suspension work running in JP. I don't, however, have your trick wing setup and recently switched from AIR whale to a duck. To be honest, through ignorance (or more likely, my severe slowness) I didn't really feel like I was fighting the wind much. My best was this videoed lap on saturday, at 1:51. I'm not mad at that for my first time at Big, especially since I started Saturday having always run streets in just 3rd gear in order to reduce distractions and complexity. I worked on using 3-5 all weekend but i'm not really going fast enough down the back straight to actually need 5 without short shifting it. I'm sorry to hear you're not running/instructing with POC anymore, I'd thought I might run into you at one of their events eventually. Who are you running with these days?

Pete: thanks for sharing about your daughter. I'll look for her next time, if you're out wwith her do please stop by and say hi!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 400hp944
Ha! It's a slippery slope my friend.... You're doing great by the way.

Speaking of cameras... I just got a Gopro Black addition and used it for the first time this past weekend. I had it set on 1080 / 30 wide angle. The video is, for lack of a better term, choppy. It's as if there aren't enough frames per second. The movement is not fluid, but kinda skips - Such as when my arm moves from the steering wheel to the shifter and the motion outside the car is the same. (example - when passing a corner worker, they are there then they're gone) Is this because it's set on 30 fps? Not sure I'm explaining this well but I hope you get the drift. Video quality is crystal clear though.
30FPS shouldn't be choppy. Film is ~24 and TV ~30.

It could be that the video itself is not choppy but is too high quality/throughput for your computer to play. From what I've seen, VLC (videolan.org) does the best job with high res gopro vids.

The other possibility is that frames are being dropped during recording. There have been a lot of problems with microSD cards not living up to the stated speeds. I had tons of problems using (normally great) sandisk, GoPro dropped them from recommended memory and when I switched to samsung all my problems went away. YMMV.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Sometimes, the choppiness can be the computer (or television) you're playing the clip back on and not the recording itself. If you import the choppy footage into an editing program, you should be able to use the arrow key to go through it frame by frame. If there are multiple copies of the same frame, the problem is with the recording.

sqweak, I drive almost exclusively with Open Track Racing now. Their events are on Wednesdays, which I can accommodate with my work schedule and save the sacrifice of losing weekend time with my family.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I traded some notes with 400hp944, it was his computer, it was OLD and couldn't handle the 1080p, he played on another machine and it's fine.

Originally Posted by sqweak

It could be that the video itself is not choppy but is too high quality/throughput for your computer to play. From what I've seen, VLC (videolan.org) does the best job with high res gopro vids.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:25 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sqweak

The other possibility is that frames are being dropped during recording. There have been a lot of problems with microSD cards not living up to the stated speeds. I had tons of problems using (normally great) sandisk, GoPro dropped them from recommended memory and when I switched to samsung all my problems went away. YMMV.
Problem solved...POS computer. Time to upgrade the wife's laptop. I actually edited the video from last Sunday's race using Gopro's editing software. Took me while since I'm that smart but was able to add some comment lines to the vid. Once I post it Youtube I can post the link if anyone want to see.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

good to hear you solved it. please do post it, would love to see!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:44 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Hallelujah brother. Regardless of how fast your lap was or how much you broke your old record by, you always know that you left something on the table....
So true....

Quick Reply: First time at big willow, quick and dirty vis inside