Big Brother at your next PCA race

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
And people using 964 cams in 911s.
Agree 100%, and hear there are people with Euro pistons in 3.2's also!! I don't get it, who wins when you cheat? Also hear the 964 cams work great in a 3.2... Can I put a 964 cam in a 3.2?

Last edited by Gary R.; 02-07-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh wait, they can find cams

I'm guessing they won't recognize my 962 cams
Old 02-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
While I'm all for tighter scrutineering, I'm a bit skeptical about the data being interpreted and used properly.

There are easily recognizable things being missed at race weekends all the time.

48 hours of Sebring Enduro race with Nigel Greensall in Porsche 964RSA - YouTube
Speaking of which...it appears from the video that the driver was not wearing any sort of head & neck restraint. Perhaps the video is misleading or I just can't see it? However, if he is not, how the heck did he get released from grid???
Old 02-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I just received my HANS carbon fiber jock strap, I heard PCA is going to require them in 2015... it is actually part of the new slider system, you jump into it through the sunroof.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I just received my HANS carbon fiber jock strap, I heard PCA is going to require them in 2015... it is actually part of the new slider system, you jump into it through the sunroof.
LOL!

I am serious, though. The 2014 rules say "A head and neck restraint certified as meeting the standards of either SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 is required."

How the heck was this guy allowed to get on track without one?

Can you imagine the legal situation if he had crashed, and, not having one, had suffered basal skull fracture?

If this is the same guy I think he is, I saw him, in this same car, at WinterFest at Sebring in January...in the same helmet...also without head & neck restraint.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:57 PM
deutschkar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard the scruts might be scoping to verify the correct displacement of said HANS CFJ. For safety.....of course.

DQ's will be issued for non factory spec equipment and cheaters will have their CFJ's run up the flagpole to make an example of them.

Last edited by deutschkar; 02-08-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deutschkar
I heard the scruts might be scoping to verifying the correct displacement of said HANS CFJ. For safety.....of course.

DQ's will be issued for non factory spec equipment and cheaters will have their CFJ's run up the flagpole to make an example of them.
I had to have mine custom made... I heard they used a bowling ball for the mold.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I had to have mine custom made... I heard they used a bowling ball for the mold.
im guessing you mean the finger holes only
Old 02-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LOL!

I am serious, though. The 2014 rules say "A head and neck restraint certified as meeting the standards of either SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 is required."

How the heck was this guy allowed to get on track without one?

Can you imagine the legal situation if he had crashed, and, not having one, had suffered basal skull fracture?

If this is the same guy I think he is, I saw him, in this same car, at WinterFest at Sebring in January...in the same helmet...also without head & neck restraint.
That is a bit surprising. The volunteers and scrutes were diligent on the grid. I had my hood pins, window net, and arm restraints checked every time and Chris reminded me to connect my Hans at one point so they were looking.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I know it is a difficult (volunteer) job, when there are 200+ cars racing. But wow.

Again, based on what I saw of this cat at WinterFest, he simply does not wear a H&N restraint at all. I am amazed this was not observed at all in any of the many sessions he took to the track during the 48 Hours event.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Speaking of which...it appears from the video that the driver was not wearing any sort of head & neck restraint. Perhaps the video is misleading or I just can't see it? However, if he is not, how the heck did he get released from grid???
You can't see it because the right-side net is in the way. Oh wait, he doesn't have one of those either, but that's ok because PCA doesn't require it.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:23 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I know it is a difficult (volunteer) job, when there are 200+ cars racing. But wow.

Again, based on what I saw of this cat at WinterFest, he simply does not wear a H&N restraint at all. I am amazed this was not observed at all in any of the many sessions he took to the track during the 48 Hours event.

I'm pretty sure he only did the enduro
Old 02-08-2014, 11:50 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a scary scenario: You buy a top of the line Spec Box from another racer and discover at one of your races that the engine isn't legal. Is there a mechanism in place that allows you to add weight or something and still run? If not, there should be. You now have a large investment into something you can't use for its intended purpose. I'm far from an engine guy and wouldn't know a cheater one if I saw it.

In my eyes it is my job to set up the car, drive the snot out of it and then complain that it is down on power. Beyond that, it is more than I want to learn and difficult at best.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 02-08-2014, 12:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Here is a scary scenario: You buy a top of the line Spec Box from another racer and discover at one of your races that the engine isn't legal.

In my eyes it is my job to set up the car, drive the snot out of it and then complain that it is down on power. Beyond that, it is more than I want to learn and difficult at best.
Been happening since the beginning of time... Caveat emptor...

Agreed.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT
im guessing you mean the finger holes only
Duckpin...

Quick Reply: Big Brother at your next PCA race