Sponsored by:

Bad Daytona 24 accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:43 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
This is a memory I'll not soon forget. I feared that Gidley would be burnt to a crisp as there was a fire that erupted immediately from the engine compartment.

I looked across the infield at the emergency vehicles, mentally pleading for them to hurry, something that didn't seem to be happening. Gidley was totally still-probably knocked unconscious, but at the time I feared he was gone.

I feared that if he wasn't gone, the fire would do him in. Within probably 20 seconds, the fire totally went out. Gidley obviously couldn't have triggered the fire suppression system. Would that have happened automatically via sensors in the car? Or could it have been triggered remotely from the team in the pits?

However the fire suppression system was activated, I'm convinced it saved him since it seemed to take forever for the safety crew to arrive. I am sure they arrived as promptly as possible, but it sure seemed they were in slow motion at the time.

I am still shaken from having seen that incident, and am grateful that both drivers survived, a testament to modern race car safety engineering.
https://safecraft.com/products.php?c...at=motorsports
Old 01-26-2014, 12:51 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,106 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I yelled like someone was breaking into my house when I saw this. Very violent and that quick ball of flame made me think the worst.

That being said, I think this could have been worse. If you look at the slow-motion pictures the prototype lifts the Ferrari up into the air which probably dissipated some of the force. Had it been another GT car the collision would possibly have been more blunt.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytona crash...

Did anyone else see Gidley did just touch the brakes an instant before impact with Malucelli's car just as his car got in the shadow of the car he was passing? I looked at the rear view of the accident several times, a few frames at a time. You can also see, by following the shadow line at the 7-8 o'clock position coming off the car Gidley attempted to pass, that the sun was at a relative position of about 1-2 o'clock and very low on the horizon. I don't think he was able to decelerate much if any at all. I hadn't seen that discussed at all. Glad they are both alive and hoping they both recover fully from theirs injuries.

3 views of the accident start at .30 sec in the following clip from Fox Sports Network, the long view from the rear of the cars is at the end.

Be safe
Patty
Old 01-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

His foot hitting the brake that moment was possibly the reason he messed up his left leg and could also be the reason he hurt the back too.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

That's a pretty compelling reason to upgrade from a mechanical to an electronic fire system.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
His foot hitting the brake that moment was possibly the reason he messed up his left leg and could also be the reason he hurt the back too.
^^This^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-26-2014, 04:40 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, Mark. I empathize with you, that feeling of helplessness is just awful.
I thought the fire crews were even slower on that backstraight LMP2 fire near the end.
The first guy didn't even open his extinguisher until another had the fire nearly out.

Quick Reply: Bad Daytona 24 accident