Sponsored by:

Best HPDE clubs to instruct for?......

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Ultimately, you are strapping yourself into the car of a total stranger, riding around at high speed and placing yourself at the mercy of their skills.
Actually, they are at the mercy of my instructing abilities. I have control of the situation, it is asserted well before I sit in the car. If, in the 1/2 lap the student ignores me before I force the car into the pits, something happens, bad luck I guess. Has never come close to occurring in 4 years of instructing for PCA.

If your student screws-up, you pay the price.
Yes, it's a risk, but an acceptable one if he/she is following my instruction. It's my job to keep us (relatively) safe.

If that's your idea of a good time, then you should be an Instructor.
The good time is a student that listens and learns. I've never had a "bad" student, but have had a couple that were not there to learn, just to try and impress their buddies. I spend a lot of time in the hot pits with people like that. Some students learn slowly, some learn quickly, some learn nothing. I do my best to have all enjoy their time spent with me in the right seat as much as I enjoy being there, that's the best I can do..

Peter - I agree about "status quo" and am happy to report that CVR (where I came up) has made Ross Bentley's Instructor Guide suggested reading and i'm sure a LOT of it will be folded into how they proceed in the future.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mkd944
Chin has 3 run groups: Red / Advanced Solo (mandatory passing anywhere on track with a point-by), Blue / Intermediate Solo (optional passing anywhere on track with a point-by), Green / Beginner Solo and Instructed Students (passing only in designated straights with a point-by). If the instructor believes their student is more advanced and running faster than Green group pace, they may choose to instruct them in the Blue group.
Chin sounds great, once I hang up my race shoes I look forward to attending their events. One question, what is "Mandatory Passing" with a Point By? I'm picturing entering the Bus Stop at the Glen and giving last second left side point by to my buddy so he has to run through the grass cause it's mandatory!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Mandatory point-by is that if a car shows up on your bumper you have to give a point-by, regardless of where you are on track. If you don't, you get called in.

In my case, during my first visit to Road Atlanta, I found this to be quite "interesting" going up the esses or down between 11 and 12, but you get used to it.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:51 PM
mkd944
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Chin sounds great, once I hang up my race shoes I look forward to attending their events. One question, what is "Mandatory Passing" with a Point By? I'm picturing entering the Bus Stop at the Glen and giving last second left side point by to my buddy so he has to run through the grass cause it's mandatory!
It is mandatory to give the point-by anyplace on track. It is incumbent on the driver of the overtaking car to accomplish a safe pass. Drivers in the Red Group are expected to know when a pass is low percentage and they can wave off the pass until it is safe. The intent is that we should never have a train of cars being held up in the Red Group. We ask that drivers monitor their mirrors, anticipate the closing speed of faster cars, and give them a point-by early enough that there should be no or very little break in the overtaking car's momentum. We have been running this format for some time now and the drivers generally play well together. If one of the corner workers reports that someone is breaking the rules, we will black flag them if necessary so that we can remind them of the rules. Our main theme is courtesy and cooperation with our fellow drivers leads to a safe and fun time for all.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Mandatory point-by is that if a car shows up on your bumper you have to give a point-by, regardless of where you are on track. If you don't, you get called in.

In my case, during my first visit to Road Atlanta, I found this to be quite "interesting" going up the esses or down between 11 and 12, but you get used to it.
I believe that's the idea with all Clubs, but it's great that Chin enforces it..
Old 01-29-2014, 02:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,143 Likes on 1,825 Posts

I believe that's the idea with all Clubs, but it's great that Chin enforces it..
^^This^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-29-2014, 03:31 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

It is mandatory to give the point-by anyplace on track. It is incumbent on the driver of the overtaking car to accomplish a safe pass. Drivers in the Red Group are expected to know when a pass is low percentage and they can wave off the pass until it is safe. The intent is that we should never have a train of cars being held up in the Red Group. We ask that drivers monitor their mirrors, anticipate the closing speed of faster cars, and give them a point-by early enough that there should be no or very little break in the overtaking car's momentum. We have been running this format for some time now and the drivers generally play well together. If one of the corner workers reports that someone is breaking the rules, we will black flag them if necessary so that we can remind them of the rules. Our main theme is courtesy and cooperation with our fellow drivers leads to a safe and fun time for all.

Thanks,
Mike
Oh hallelujah - what a breath of fresh air. Take away the 'well, I'm actually faster than the car behind me, so I won't give the point-by.' That would help immensely.
I can see a few possible issues with the black flag, like when 2 (or more) drivers are running together and 1 just let another pass but is close behind, but I'll bet the corner workers could figure that out pretty quickly.
Good thinking.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
^^This^^
It's called situational awareness, unfortunately many DE participants (at all levels) don't seem to have it, and frustration blooms. In racing you have it, or you have problems...
Old 01-29-2014, 03:36 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I intend to have control of the situation
Fixed that one for you.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:38 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

As a long time Chief Instructor for Chin, I was happy to see the positive comments and I wanted to clear up the perceptions above. First, we have no 2 hour sessions. They are all 3 hours. Just Kidding!!! All instructed sessions are 30 minutes long. The last hour of each day is our "Happy Hour" in which all run groups are allowed on track using Intermediate passing rules (explained below). While the instructors may have to instruct during "Happy Hour", we advise them to advise their students not to spend an hour on track at the end of the day since they will be tired and be more apt to make mistakes. I have never heard of a student driving all 60 minutes of the last hour. You can always know which group is on track by looking at your watch since we run Red, Blue, Green groups in order every 30 minutes all day long until Happy Hour.

Chin has 3 run groups: Red / Advanced Solo (mandatory passing anywhere on track with a point-by), Blue / Intermediate Solo (optional passing anywhere on track with a point-by), Green / Beginner Solo and Instructed Students (passing only in designated straights with a point-by). If the instructor believes their student is more advanced and running faster than Green group pace, they may choose to instruct them in the Blue group.

Second, it is not really that hectic. We do ask that, if possible, our instructors evaluate and de-brief their student after each session. We understand that may cut into the instructor's track time, however, our instructors are allowed to drive in any group in which they are not instructing.

Chin places a high priority on making sure that our students needs are met and that they have a safe and FUN experience. We require all instructors to have communicators and we ask that instructors establish pre-designated meeting areas and times for each session.

Our students submit evaluations for their instructors and we do actually read them. Also, if the student and instructor are not clicking or instructor doesn't fit in the car, or there is a language barrier, then we can try to do some swapping or use one of our reserve instructors.

As Peter Krause mentioned, we should not get too comfortable with our formats and Chin has tweaked our format over the years to see what works and what doesn't and we continue to look for ways to improve. I realize that my view is biased, but I believe that Chin has high standards for instructors and very much appreciates their contributions. Besides getting free track time, Maria provides free drinks (soda and water) along with cookies and crackers to all instructors. Also, because Mark and Maria are at almost every event, the standards are consistent at all Chin events.

I only have Chin and Citrus Region PCA as reference points for my instructing and both are quality organizations but we use instructors from other PCA regions, BMWCCA, and other organizations and I believe the majority instructors we use are doing to give back to this hobby that we all enjoy.

Sorry for the long diatribe and somewhat biased view but I really was actually trying to answer BostonDMD's question.

Thanks,
Mike
I wasn't really being critical of Chin's format, it allows for a lot of track time for both instructor and student but three groups is inherently more hectic then four or five since you have to climb out of one car and into another. It certainly never stopped me from instructing and I look forward to running with Chin in the future. I wish you guys would run some more events in the NE.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Chin Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
... I wish you guys would run some more events in the NE.
...Chin has been visiting The Glen twice a year, May and September, since 2004. Also, Mid-Ohio, too. (not exactly NE, but, it's closer to you than Sebring!) Full calendar: http://www.chinmotorsports.com/Calendar.aspx
Old 01-29-2014, 05:32 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! A Chin event at Hallett in early March!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 PM
mkd944
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I wasn't really being critical of Chin's format, it allows for a lot of track time for both instructor and student but three groups is inherently more hectic then four or five since you have to climb out of one car and into another. It certainly never stopped me from instructing and I look forward to running with Chin in the future. I wish you guys would run some more events in the NE.
No worries Scott. I didn't take it personally and was trying not to sound too defensive. You mentioned it had been awhile since you had instructed at one of our events and, as I said, the format has been tweaked over the years. I was just trying to bring everyone up to date with our current format.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

So, we got CVR, Chin and "Zone 1 regions in general".......

Anybody else want to share an extremely positive experience with other venues?

Not trying to be a PITA....... just an inquisitive mind.......
Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,312 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Another vote here for Chin as #1, top quality operation in every way, I tell friends it's 'heaven for instructors'.

PCA is pretty good, with some variation between regions, but I'm past the point of being willing to take two students - shortchanges students and too tiring.

Other for-profits are hit or miss, beware of those who're desperate for instructors, often that indicates underlying problems.

Quick Reply: Best HPDE clubs to instruct for?......