Sponsored by:

Winch Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winch Mounting

I bought a new trailer and the winch arrived this evening. My current open trailer has it mounted dead center and when I pull it using the tow hook it pulls to one side.

I was going to mount it so the tow hook and the winch line up straight with each other. Does that make sense?

I was going to mount it on the floor inside my cabinets.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LostSouth
I bought a new trailer and the winch arrived this evening. My current open trailer has it mounted dead center and when I pull it using the tow hook it pulls to one side.

I was going to mount it so the tow hook and the winch line up straight with each other. Does that make sense?

I was going to mount it on the floor inside my cabinets.
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Winch will be mounted in line with the tow hook and on some form of aluminum box inside the cabinets.
Not done yet, though - trailer shop just received the winch.
Please keep us posted; I will do the same.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

I'm mounting mine up tomorrow morning before I head to Roebling for the weekend, so I should know by about 1:00 when I load up my car whether it works or not.

I bought one of the superwinch trailer models. It's fully enclosed, so I don't see much need to do anything other than mount it.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Makes absolute sense. I've had one winch that was in the center and my current one is lined up with the toe hook. The latter spools much better.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I too offset my Superwinch and it pulls great aligned with my tow hook.

I fab'd up a 1/4" steel plate mounted underneath the joists and tight to the rear joist. I then drilled and mounted the Superwinch thru the steel plate. The winch bolts are staggered front to rear and you can't hit joists with all the mounting bolts. This way I'm assured the joist won't pull out of the plywood floor or tear up the plywood....
Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Default pulley mount

I mounted my winch on the side where it was out of the way And preserved full access to lower cabinets. The cable routes to a D - Ring in the center with a pulley. Very clean install this way
Old 01-17-2014, 04:19 AM
LostSouth
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I too offset my Superwinch and it pulls great aligned with my tow hook.

I fab'd up a 1/4" steel plate mounted underneath the joists and tight to the rear joist. I then drilled and mounted the Superwinch thru the steel plate. The winch bolts are staggered front to rear and you can't hit joists with all the mounting bolts. This way I'm assured the joist won't pull out of the plywood floor or tear up the plywood....
Not sure I understand. Are you saying you bent the plat maybe L shaped and attached one leg of it to the joist and the other parallel to the floor? I was going to do a backing plat, but hadn't thought of attaching it to a joist too.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I mounted my winch on the side where it was out of the way And preserved full access to lower cabinets. The cable routes to a D - Ring in the center with a pulley. Very clean install this way
Hi Dan
That is also a good plan; it would have been my first choice if the cabinet idea didn't work. I went into the cabinet to avoid have let another thing to trip over (cable and pulley).
Luckily I have the cabinet space available.
I know you know this, but to others: make sure that pulley is mounted properly and is strong. The force multiplier of the 90 degree turn is significant.
On a separate note: Cayman build is going great. I need to post an update.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LostSouth
Not sure I understand. Are you saying you bent the plat maybe L shaped and attached one leg of it to the joist and the other parallel to the floor? I was going to do a backing plat, but hadn't thought of attaching it to a joist too.
No I didn't write that very well...., I should have said underneath the plywood, between the joists, and tight to the rear joist. I did tab them to the joists....
Old 01-17-2014, 02:22 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mount my wench from the front, the back, the sides, top, bottom, forward, backward. It's all good.

edit: Oh! I miss understood the question.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:44 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Got your winch right here-
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Winch Mounting