ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
This is my setup and I love it:

Here is where I got the tire rack:

http://pitproducts.com/collections/t...e-rack-flip-up
Scott, I have two of the same thing. Works perfect, but those edges are sharp!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine is set up like Astroman's…Like it very much but I whacked my head on it a few times when I first got the trailer…Be sure to mount to studs or it will pull out and drop on the car! I bought my trailer with the rack already installed…improperly unfortunately…my very first tow with the "new" trailer and the rack and tires crashed onto the 996…I got build plans from Pace and found the studs then mounted the e-track securely.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

here you go

factory ATC tire rack in mine
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

aren't ATC trailers great
Old 01-20-2014, 12:15 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm taking delivery on an ATC 18+2 trailer Wednesday of this week. I will have my tire rack running across the trailer, above the hood. I am a proponent of this approach (a) for weight distribution, (b) lower center of gravity and (c) something about hanging the traditional racks high up on the walls makes me nervous (has to perfectly and securely mounted to the aluminum studs, or special modifictions must be made, as noted earlier in this thread). I, too, once had one come crashing down on my car. The downside of the tire rack running over the hood is that is does infringe on living space within the trailer, but it comes down easily enough, especially if it is a long race weekend.

I was looking into a comparable Trailex, but found (IMHO) you get more bang for your buck with the ATC.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After years of racing, and watching people run into, gash their heads, knock themselves out on tire racks inside a trailer. If you haven't done it, you will or are lying

I went the roller route.

You can roll them out of the way, roll them into the garage, distribute weight in the trailer etc. You never have to carry a single wheel, just roll them on the cart.

I will be welding up a rack like a previous poster for two sets. If you have one set, just buy a Rock n Roll cart (Amazon). Sturdy, adjustable length, cheap.
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2014, 01:32 PM
n2deep
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put two half racks over the work bench in the front of the trailer. Each rack folds up when empty. I bought my current trailer this way from ATC. My previous ATC trailer had cabinets up there but I found them useless.

Have to say I do like the rolling rack idea ...
Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

Like Plavan, I use a cart: https://martinsindustries.com/en/pro...FUtp7Aod0kAAoQ

I can stack 6 tires on it, taking up very little floor space, with the other two loose tires tucked away in other places. Makes wheeling them out of the trailer a breeze or more importantly easy to wheel them over to track side tire service for tire changes. The cart is expensive but worth every penny given how much trouble its saved me lifting tires.

Also makes a great tie down point for the EZ Up canopy.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:56 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Like Plavan, I use a cart: https://martinsindustries.com/en/pro...FUtp7Aod0kAAoQ

I can stack 6 tires on it, taking up very little floor space, with the other two loose tires tucked away in other places. Makes wheeling them out of the trailer a breeze or more importantly easy to wheel them over to track side tire service for tire changes. The cart is expensive but worth every penny given how much trouble its saved me lifting tires.

Also makes a great tie down point for the EZ Up canopy.
Nice idea (the rolling tire racks).
I just finished building a tire rack for my garage to hold 3 sets. Probably would have been a good idea to use these roller carts instead.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:27 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Scott, I have two of the same thing. Works perfect, but those edges are sharp!
I don't really walk around much in the trailer when the car is unloaded. I do change in and out of my race suit in my trailer, but I do that in the front section. So far, I have not had an issue with running into the rack.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

I don't really walk around much in the trailer when the car is unloaded. I do change in and out of my race suit in my trailer, but I do that in the front section. So far, I have not had an issue with running into the rack.
+1
Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+3

Now open overhead cab doors are another issue altogether...
Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opted for the tire stacking option. Simple and works well if you have some floor space available. Apologies for the giant pictures.
Attached Images   
Old 01-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Being that I have A/C, TV, Microwave etc in my trailer- We stay inside alot. Another reason we went with a roller. It's not all about "me" hitting my head.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:20 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I use the e-track with collapsible aluminum shoring beams like zip on page 1. I like being able to remove them, and it is efficient storage in wasted space over the hood of the car when towing. After reading so many posts of people bashing their heads on the corners of the fold down racks, I decided that just wasn't what I wanted. I am quite happy with the setup after 3 years in my 24' enclosed trailer.

Quick Reply: Trailer layout - tire rack