Sponsored by:

Trailer layout - tire rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 AM
chrcook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer layout - tire rack

I'm currently looking for a ~24+/- foot enclosed aluminum trailer, with cabinets, gen box, lights, power and all the normal goodies. Much to my surprise, I've found none with tire racks. Can a few of you post some pics of where / how you have your tire racks located?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chrcook
I'm currently looking for a ~24+/- foot enclosed aluminum trailer, with cabinets, gen box, lights, power and all the normal goodies. Much to my surprise, I've found none with tire racks. Can a few of you post some pics of where / how you have your tire racks located?
No access to my trailer now, but I ran etrack down both sides and set cargo bars over the hood of the car. Carries 8 wheels/ tires. I use ratchet straps through the wheels to hold them down and in place.
Downside is I have to duck under the rack but no big deal.
I know a fair number of trailers that are have wall mounted tire racks that are pulling away from the wall, despite appropriate installation. CArgoPro told me that the wall mounted racks need plywood installed at time of manufacturing to avoid that problem.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No pic, but easy.

I have Pitpal tire racks installed left and right in the trailer (8 wheels total) over the hood (hafway actually) of the car.

The trick is to drill through the studs and fasten properly (after a conversation with the guys at ATC Trailers) with a SS fender washer on the exterior. I don't care about the appearance (not that it looks bad at all) as the racks are absolutely secure.

Wouldn't absolutely trust any other installation. My N2 bottle rack is bolted in the very same way.

Never have hit my head, although one must bend when working on the front wheel straps.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
No pic, but easy.

I have Pitpal tire racks installed left and right in the trailer (8 wheels total) over the hood (hafway actually) of the car.

The trick is to drill through the studs and fasten properly (after a conversation with the guys at ATC Trailers) with a SS fender washer on the exterior. I don't care about the appearance (not that it looks bad at all) as the racks are absolutely secure.

Wouldn't absolutely trust any other installation. My N2 bottle rack is bolted in the very same way.

Never have hit my head, although one must bend when working on the front wheel straps.
I have the same setup...and have 2 spare tire racks if anyone is needing a pair.

Edit - I did not through-bolt my racks...they're in with heavy screws into the studs. That's been my setup for 6+ years and have had wheels/tires on them for all of that time & thousands of miles of towing. No issues at all.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Understood and agreed about through bolting. CargoPro had a clean exterior and presumably their customers wanted to keep it that way. I asked about through bolting and they still advised against it, But different manufacturers might understandably have a different approach.
To the OP - keep in mind that the installation will carry a fair amount of weight and be subject to a lot of stress over many miles of driving and loading/unloading the wheels. So keep an eye on those fasteners.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:13 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Christian

I did the e track and aluminum rails in my latest enclosed. Previously, I used e track and two by sixes. Got the gear here

Pegasus Racing
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I have placed etrack on either side of my trailer and use aluminum 2 x 4's as a bridge, like Rick but mine are in the back of my trailer. It depends on how you load your trailer. I have a 26-ft trailer so all of my shtuff (tool box, spares, generator, etc) ends up in the front of my trailer. The tire rack in back helps to counter balance it. Just make sure you have sufficent room underneath.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:49 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No pic, but easy.

Don't lie, you've hit your head ALOT!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:09 PM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Don't lie, you've hit your head ALOT!
You know me too well Karl....but look at the company I keep.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:56 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's how I did mine. McMaster-Carr single e-track fittings and shoring beams. Had two different locations based on what I was hauling - 1 set or 2 sets, photo is from the installation phase.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Understood and agreed about through bolting. CargoPro had a clean exterior and presumably their customers wanted to keep it that way. I asked about through bolting and they still advised against it, But different manufacturers might understandably have a different approach.
To the OP - keep in mind that the installation will carry a fair amount of weight and be subject to a lot of stress over many miles of driving and loading/unloading the wheels. So keep an eye on those fasteners.
If you want to do through bolting and not have it look ugly you can use finish washers with stainless tapered Allen bolts. It looks a lot nicer than a big old hex bolt on the side of your fancy aluminum trailer.

this is just an example, you can get them in lots of sizes from lots of places (karting, off road shops)
http://www.fastech-racing.com/anodiz...h-washers.html
Old 01-15-2014, 04:37 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

This is my setup and I love it:

Here is where I got the tire rack:

http://pitproducts.com/collections/t...e-rack-flip-up
Old 01-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have fold out tire racks similar to the one pictures directly above, although mine were installed when the trailer was built. I added cheap roll bar padding to the cross bars to prevent the edges of the bars from digging into the tires. Maybe I'm too A/R, but I don't like having lines across the tires.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll second the request for more pics as well. I've got a 20' Pace Shadow. I've been leaning towards a set up similar to Winders', but with two racks, one on each side, positioned roughly amidships.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 PM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
I'll second the request for more pics as well. I've got a 20' Pace Shadow. I've been leaning towards a set up similar to Winders', but with two racks, one on each side, positioned roughly amidships.
Precisely my setup.

The racks are, however, more forward. Midships would not clear the car.

Quick Reply: Trailer layout - tire rack