Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer layout - tire rack

Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Cogito_Ergo_Zoom,

If I ever need a third set of wheels, I will put another rack just like the one I have on the opposite side of the trailer. So far, two sets of wheels have been plenty.....

P.S. My rack is mounted mid trailer and the car clears fine. Only the wing would get in the way....
Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
I'll second the request for more pics as well. I've got a 20' Pace Shadow. I've been leaning towards a set up similar to Winders', but with two racks, one on each side, positioned roughly amidships.
Be sure to allow yourself room to get in and out of your car. A tire rack directly above your car door could turn you into a contortionist.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

My race car has an active first gear so I always use the winch to load the car into the trailer....
Old 01-15-2014, 07:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Important to bolt or screw into the top rail with the rack's legs or cross bar along with screwing into the vertical steel studs. I lost one end of a loaded rack in a previous trailer which damaged my 6-cup's headlight and fender. I'm now attached with multiple self-tapping #14 screws and haven't had an issue in 4 years of ownership....
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went back and forth and back and forth over this last year. In the end, I didn't want to drill all the way through the walls of my new aluminum trailer.

This works fine. It sort of divides my trailer into two sections at the track which is no big deal... I don't usually need to walk all the way through it.
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Be sure to allow yourself room to get in and out of your car. A tire rack directly above your car door could turn you into a contortionist.
noted, thanks.

Originally Posted by winders
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom,

If I ever need a third set of wheels, I will put another rack just like the one I have on the opposite side of the trailer. So far, two sets of wheels have been plenty.....

P.S. My rack is mounted mid trailer and the car clears fine. Only the wing would get in the way....
You bring up a good point. I've just been assuming I'd need three sets total: one set of what will probably be scrubs on the car; one set of wets; and one set of stickers in case I think I need to put them on to be more competitive over the weekend. Overkill?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
I've just been assuming I'd need three sets total.
You do.

It never rains in California. Those guys have no idea what a "rain tire" is.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Trailer is in storage and I don't have any pics but I use a pair of 4' fold up aluminum racks that are mounted one on top of the other on the left side of a 24' trailer between the front of the car and the "L" part of the lower cabinets. I used beefier bolts than what came with the racks and made what I feel is an important modification. I cut a piece of 1/2" metal conduit the height of the bottom of the top rack front piece and drilled a single hole directly in the middle of the bottom so the conduit would fit in it. In the bottom rack I drilled straight through it so the conduit would go through to the bottom and to the floor. Each of the fronts have a 1/4" quick release pin through the flat face and the conduit to secure the two pieces. I put a rubber table leg glider on the bottom of the conduit to keep it from marring up the floor. This basically adds a leg to the front of the racks and eliminates the rotational downward forces that want to pull the loaded racks off the wall. To fold up the racks I just remove the pins and pull the conduit out of the holes. The bottom rack is high enough off of the floor that I can fit storage tubs and coolers underneath. It's a fairly efficient use of space.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been hoping to find a tire rack on large casters that I could roll out of the trailer. Anyone seen or use something like this? Figured i could use the winch to roll in/out. I would store outside at the track, freeing up room in the trailer.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:15 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I have one up front on the left side of the trailer that holds 4 tires, I built this tire cart this fall so I can put more weight on the back end of the trailer and just role them in and out. dizzyj I think this is what you are looking for.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:40 AM
cetom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do it a little differently . i built my tire rack on the floor of the trailer. that way i dont have to lift them . just sort of roll them . then there is a shelf above the tires so i can store other things in bins or do work . the rack is in the front of the trailer and i built a door in the front of the trailer so i can access the tires either form inside the trailer or from the outside
not for everybody but it sure makes things easy .
Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

This is a pretty interesting rig. Full height and only 1 ft longer than a trailex enclosed. Custom built Cargo Pro / Thule designed to hold a cup car and fit inside the owner's garage (total length from the ball receiver to the taillights is 22' 9", with a box just under 17' + the V). Rack holds 7 cup car wheels, and then he used the trailer spare mount for the 8th wheel (mounted two spares on the wall on the rear of the trailer). Pretty smart design and towable by a cayenne (weighs 2,300 lbs empty). the rack was installed during trailer construction.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
You do.

It never rains in California. Those guys have no idea what a "rain tire" is.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
I went back and forth and back and forth over this last year. In the end, I didn't want to drill all the way through the walls of my new aluminum trailer.

This works fine. It sort of divides my trailer into two sections at the track which is no big deal... I don't usually need to walk all the way through it.
Good picture of how mine is set up; only difference is my cargo beams may be lower (still over the hood).
Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 PM
chrcook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the ideas, really appreciate it. Much to my surprise, I have yet to find a trailer with a tire rack. Then again, I have not found very many used aluminum trailers....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer layout - tire rack