Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the Necksgen Rev Head/Neck Restraint

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Philip944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i too have the necksgen. i do not have halo seats, but may end up with them eventually. i figured the necksgen would be better laterally than the hans, and once you have a halo seat it makes no difference whether you have a hans or necksgen. also, i believe the prices are similar if not cheaper than the hans. build quality is nice. comfortable (considering all is relative) as well.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm just about to get NECKSGEN REV. looks more comfortable than Hans. I just hope they don't come out with a lighter version etc like Hans seems to do every week. Hans dropped pricing because of them I heard.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
I'm just about to get NECKSGEN REV. looks more comfortable than Hans. I just hope they don't come out with a lighter version etc like Hans seems to do every week. Hans dropped pricing because of them I heard.
Solo Performance had the HANS Sport II at a reduced price a few days ago.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by racing916
I use a defender they are also the inventors of the necksgen. I chose it because it not only work in a frontal impact but also in side impacts that Hans does not protect. How often do you see cars go straight in? Not many. I have had one impact and it was at a 45 degree angle and the defender almost identical to the necksgen worked great. Most everyone uses the Hans but they have the most marketing. I put my faith in the results. I a sure the Hans would have worked great but who knows. The best solution is to have a halo for side impacts.
+996. I use a DefeNder as well.I'm also an orthopedist. The control tethers really work well in the combination of flexion and rotational movements and loads. HANS really only spares load in flexion. It also has nice little buttresses to hold the shoulder straps in place. The chest struts are supported by wide straps that allow a bit of give/protection to your clavicles. Even the anchors to the helmet were better. All in all, a great device. HANS sued them into submission.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
+996. I use a DefeNder as well.I'm also an orthopedist. The control tethers really work well in the combination of flexion and rotational movements and loads. HANS really only spares load in flexion. It also has nice little buttresses to hold the shoulder straps in place. The chest struts are supported by wide straps that allow a bit of give/protection to your clavicles. Even the anchors to the helmet were better. All in all, a great device. HANS sued them into submission.
As an instructor, when hopping in to factory 3-point belt system, does the DefeNder provide any value? Do you wear it then? With the belt tether on just one shoulder would it provide any support?

This need is why the HyBrid seems to be a better choice (3-pt belt use) when instructing with a road DE car.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 AM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using a Necksgen (the original, not the new Rev) for about a season and a half of DE and track days. Like others have mentioned, I went with it for the apparent side load protection since my car is street driven and I have Pole Position seats. I have not crashed with it on, nor have I worn a Hans, so all I can say is that it is comfortable. Getting in and out of the car isn't a problem, I can get out just as fast with it on as I can without it, with no door bars or any front cage to deal with. With it on and all strapped in it does feel like it limits how far my head will move laterally.
It will not work with 3 point belts. I tried it once in a car with a Schroth ASM quick-fit four point, and even that didn't work very well.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

^^^ @ValveFloat Thanks for the insights / review.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

NECKSGEN REV received & installed. Very nicely done. VERY comfortable witn new harnesses. Glad I chose it over HANS. Thanks Apex.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:46 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
NECKSGEN REV received & installed. Very nicely done. VERY comfortable witn new harnesses. Glad I chose it over HANS. Thanks Apex.
What are your impressions with its ability to protect from lateral impacts?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Seems slightly better than HANS for lateral protection. - watching their video. I do not have Halo seats. When I purchased new Harnesses I figured it was time to get a little smarter.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a NecksGen Rev today. I was at the Canadian Motorsport Expo today and there was a booth with good pricing. Generally I'm not an impulsive shopper but I have been thinking about getting a device. Talked with the guy at the booth, we went frame-by-frame thru the crash testing video and he explained in detail what the mechanics and forces were. I was impressed by his knowledge and found the device comfortable to wear (unlike the Hans which I have tried before). So I pulled out the credit card and here I am. I really cannot say which is better, but at least now I have something which is better than nothing. No halo seats for me either. I drive my 951 to the track.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:52 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by crooster
I just picked up a NecksGen Rev today. I was at the Canadian Motorsport Expo today and there was a booth with good pricing. Generally I'm not an impulsive shopper but I have been thinking about getting a device. Talked with the guy at the booth, we went frame-by-frame thru the crash testing video and he explained in detail what the mechanics and forces were. I was impressed by his knowledge and found the device comfortable to wear (unlike the Hans which I have tried before). So I pulled out the credit card and here I am. I really cannot say which is better, but at least now I have something which is better than nothing. No halo seats for me either. I drive my 951 to the track.
Did you buy it from a local company that had a booth? I’m interested, but would like to go somewhere local to try one on.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:20 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Necksgen displayed at the MSX expo this past weekend. Their product looks good and makes sense. But, and someone correct me here please if I'm wrong, SFI doesn't test for side impact in order to achieve the rating that they have. So, I wonder truly how effective it is for side impact.

We know Hans does well and I don't not aware of any basilar skull fractures with a driver wearing their device, no matter what type of crash. It has really been game changer and made the sport safer. In fact, the two inventors were just inducted into the SCCA Hall of Fame.

However, in smaller cars when a halo seat isn't as practical (mine makes it really difficult to get in and out quickly) perhaps Necksgen with a side net would be better? Thoughts?

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

It does look like it offers more lateral support than Hans. Hands down more comfortable and just as effective it appears. No Brainer - I think Apex still has the best price. No need to try on.- Simple measurement for size. I'm very impressed.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Necksgen displayed at the MSX expo this past weekend. Their product looks good and makes sense. But, and someone correct me here please if I'm wrong, SFI doesn't test for side impact in order to achieve the rating that they have. So, I wonder truly how effective it is for side impact.

We know Hans does well and I don't not aware of any basilar skull fractures with a driver wearing their device, no matter what type of crash. It has really been game changer and made the sport safer. In fact, the two inventors were just inducted into the SCCA Hall of Fame.

However, in smaller cars when a halo seat isn't as practical (mine makes it really difficult to get in and out quickly) perhaps Necksgen with a side net would be better? Thoughts?
They test for a 30 degree offset impact. Not very close to side for sure.

Basilar skull fracture with HANS has happened. V8 supercars (?) Ashley Cooper. The impact was that angular impact. I remember hearing of others but that one stands out. The video of it is pretty easy to find IIRC.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Necksgen Rev Head/Neck Restraint