Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the Necksgen Rev Head/Neck Restraint

Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,158 Posts
Question Thoughts on the Necksgen Rev Head/Neck Restraint

I'll be putting a roll bar and 6pt harness in my car in a few weeks and need to pick up a head/neck restraint unit. I know Hans is the gold standard but their products don't provide lateral protection. I heard that the Necksgen Rev does have that protection. What are your thoughts on the unit (see link below)?

http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2562.htm

Or should I just pick up one of the Hans units?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:48 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to buy a HANS Sport II in the next few days.

Waiting for any comments on the Necksgen Rev too.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Wrong version
Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Jerome104
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what my 2 cents is worth I opted for a Hans with a cobra evolution seat. Figured the lateral protection would be better all around given the fact that I didn't find the GT3 bucket seat kept me in place properly. more $$ but great peace of mind.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Considering Hybrid and a Necksgen too, seems they possibly offer more/some lateral support when not using a halo type seat. But no clear data to prove it that I can find. Hybrid seems better when used with 3 pt belt setups sans airbags when riding in the right seat (US).

Necksgen test video at 30 degrees side impact seems compelling, but at the same time raises the question beyond 30 degrees side impact, any added value.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Hey USC, went through this a while back, I have a HANS sport that I use. My preference would be to use it w/ a halo seat (with removable wings) but not there yet and use it right now with recaro pole positions with 6pt/roll bar. I find it plenty comfortable once in the car, don't even notice its there.

Let me know if you want to check it out...
Old 01-09-2014, 03:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

They talk about the lack of a yoke on the Necksgen REV as a benefit but I can't see how it can possibly offer as much protection from a frontal impact as the HANS without it. I watched the video and it looks to me like the head rolls forward and down more than what I recall from HANS videos. Working from memory here so I could be wrong, but personally I would go with a tried and tested device like HANS.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 PM
hoki06
4th Gear

I went through this same decision and ended up with a Hans and will eventually get a halo seat
Old 01-09-2014, 04:58 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I too am deciding between the two

My track car is street driven to the track so doesnt have HALO seats, just regular Recaro SPG - think the Necksgen is better at lateral than the HANS so am leaning that direction.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have tried Hybrid, HANS and NecksGen

I like the Hybrid the best.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:03 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
They talk about the lack of a yoke on the Necksgen REV as a benefit but I can't see how it can possibly offer as much protection from a frontal impact as the HANS without it. I watched the video and it looks to me like the head rolls forward and down more than what I recall from HANS videos. Working from memory here so I could be wrong, but personally I would go with a tried and tested device like HANS.
From what I have been reading your head is suposed to move forward. (you end up looking down with the crown of your head pointing at the impact point so to speak) The H&N systems prevent your head from getting too far from your shoulders and overextending your neck not hold it up right. If it were held upright the G forces would try and extrude your face out the eye hole.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:26 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I also liked the lateral idea - we have locally made Leatt-Brace here which
is more like that ... but bulkier ... used by alot of the dirt bikers, offroaders etc..

Last year when my bumper caught on fire during a long race - bump made it too close to exhaust
.... I had a serious 5 sec window to get out .. very thankful for the less bulky hans in that case.

What ever you choose make sure you can exit if you need to.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile Me too...

Originally Posted by Jerome104
For what my 2 cents is worth I opted for a Hans with a cobra evolution seat. Figured the lateral protection would be better all around given the fact that I didn't find the GT3 bucket seat kept me in place properly. more $$ but great peace of mind.
I have the same set up..and the Evo seat has viewing slots on the head restraints so your peripheral vision will work…may be legal for the street too.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Jerome104
Instructor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I have the same set up..and the Evo seat has viewing slots on the head restraints so your peripheral vision will work…may be legal for the street too.
Pretty sure its street legal as long as you can slot in the 3 pt seatbelt clip.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a defender they are also the inventors of the necksgen. I chose it because it not only work in a frontal impact but also in side impacts that Hans does not protect. How often do you see cars go straight in? Not many. I have had one impact and it was at a 45 degree angle and the defender almost identical to the necksgen worked great. Most everyone uses the Hans but they have the most marketing. I put my faith in the results. I a sure the Hans would have worked great but who knows. The best solution is to have a halo for side impacts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Necksgen Rev Head/Neck Restraint