Sponsored by:

Expired belts in DEs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the dark ages I used to be a cave guide for trips into unimproved wild caves. We were for the most part rock climbers that did all our climbing at night in the mud. Web and rope took a beating and was cycled out as it became worn. No UV exposure but plenty of "other degradation". Rock climbers would cringe at the abuse the ropes and slings got while in use. Mud gets into the weave and weakens the fibers and in caving there is no way to keep things clean. We cycled the stuff out at a rate higher than was recommended. Lot of backyard rope swings and web ladders made from some retired high end ropes back then. Some of the other guys we would encounter from time to time would use the same stuff forever and also not take the best care of it. I was not comfortable with the condition of some of the rigging a few others were using but I also never witnessed a failure of the gear itself.

Just for some clarity on an old thread. I understand and support Pete's position and the PCA position on belts. Once a manufacturer puts a recommendation out you have to follow it or extend risk. PCA is not in the equipment testing and evaluation biz.

Quick Reply: Expired belts in DEs?