Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track day in Bay Area - what club?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by autosea
Hey, MaxLTV wanted an opinion. Thats my opinion and Im sticking with it. You are entitled to all 23,073 of yours. Ok?
OK that was funny....
Old 11-25-2013, 04:44 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I've began my trackdays with NASA NorCal. Great bunch of guys. Only thing is its very crowded and hpde 1-3 has limited passing(straights only) which makes for lotta conga lines. Once you get to hpde 4- very fun and passing allowed anywhere with good judgment. The nice aspect you get out of NASA is car awareness since there are lotta cars. Ncrc is a great outfit- totally recommended(no mandatory pointbys but courtesy ones). You get about 5 (20-25 min sessions) with ncrc. NASA has only 4 20 min sessions and since there's alot of races going on the wait between sessions can be very long. Thunderhill by far is the safest track with lotta runoffs and nice long track with some technical sections on the track. Sp- my favorite track- very technical with lotta walls and very rewarding. Ls-
Very short track but major turnoff for me is the freaking sound ***** so don't go there anymore but try it at least once. Mike
Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 130 Posts

Great posts here, guys. NorCal sure is an excellent place to practice this hobby of ours. I started tracking with NASA a couple of years ago. Good program for drivers of all car makes. I've tracked with HOD and TrackMasters also. All good programs. I am admittedly biased, but from personal experience can honestly say that I've learned how to track a Porsche the most from PCA GGR.

2014 PCA GGR Track schedule will be out soon. Rumor has it we'll be at Sears Pt, Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca (June), and full course Thunderhill.

Tim
Old 01-02-2014, 04:05 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 130 Posts

Here's the PCA GGR Track Schedule for this year. See you at the track!

PCA GGR 2014 Track Series
Mar 15-16 Sonoma DE (w/ NASA)
Mar 29-30 Thunderhill DE / CR
May 10-11 Buttonwillow DE / CR
Jun 21-22 Laguna Seca DE
Jul 12-13 Thunderhill DE
Sep 6-7 Thunderhill DE / CR
Oct 25-26 Sonoma DE (w/ NASA)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:53 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
Here's the PCA GGR Track Schedule for this year. See you at the track!

PCA GGR 2014 Track Series
Mar 15-16 Sonoma DE (w/ NASA)
Mar 29-30 Thunderhill DE / CR
May 10-11 Buttonwillow DE / CR
Jun 21-22 Laguna Seca DE
Jul 12-13 Thunderhill DE
Sep 6-7 Thunderhill DE / CR
Oct 25-26 Sonoma DE (w/ NASA)
Woo hoo!!!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Woo hoo!!!
Woo hoo X2!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:37 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I think you have gotten some great advice and perspective, including these latest comments from one of the best chief driving instructors PCA Golden Gate Region (GGR) has ever had (see above).

What kind of car do you have? Again, if it is a Porsche, I recommend biasing your early Bay Area experience toward the GGR. The GGR has a long history of having a high percentage of participants at each event who are focused on learning how to go as fast as possible as safely as possible and having fun along the way. Other groups have a good number of like-minded folks, but the percentages aren't as high.

NASA has an excellent DE program, so I would encourage you to try to do some NASA events too, but pick your venues and dates carefully. NASA events are great, but often best if your goals are not compromised by a high car-count DE group.

I first drove at Sears Point back in 1996 or so and a lot has changed since then. In 1998, five different drivers were killed there. It is a lot safer now. PCA GGR and the Shelby Club have both had great pdf track guides for several local tracks, including Sears Point, so you might want to look for them on their web sites and if possible review them.

I caution you on video-- if you do this try to find examples from like cars. Quickxotica, for example, has posted some excellent video links from Sears Point from his 996 days.

Video sim and games can be good tools, but one has to be careful to not drive the computer when actually at the track. At the track, there is no reset button.

Sears Point is one of the most technical tracks in the US and is a fun and rewarding place to drive. Patience is your friend whilst learning to go fast at Sears Point.

If you have decided on HOD, I encourage you to contact the owner, David, and/or the chief instructor, Dev, ahead of time. Great guys. They may be able to hook you up with an instructor familiar with your car.

Have fun and happy holidays.
Ah, I'm so torn here. On one hand, I love your appreciation of Mahler 9 - perhaps his most beautiful symphony, but on the other hand, anyone recommending NASA clearly has not actually tried their DE. It's awful. If your goal is to drive around in a parade with 49 (yes 49) other cars, most of which are worth under 3k and driven by morons, then yes, NASA is for you.

As for PCA. If you're over 55, then definitely. Otherwise, NCRC, HOD, and Trackmasters all put on very well run events with great instructors and light traffic.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts

Interesting... yes I have participated in NASA DE. See my post at #7. My first one was at Sears point in 1997 or so. I drove my 951. I remember there was a pickup truck on a high rise suspension and knobby tires in that DE group.

Anyway, a lot has changed with NASA since my first experiences.

Not sure what to make of the comments re: PCA events and age. Perhaps their statistics have changed.

I still believe that the PCA events are the best place to start if you have a Porsche here in the SF Bay area.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:29 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I love NASA. It's fun passing morons : ). We had 64 cars last time at Sonoma with NASA. Ain't going to set laptime records but man fun passing cars. Be careful with passing on yellow though u be banned for the day. Mike
Old 01-04-2014, 02:04 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Well, I'd also recommend the PCA. It isn't just people over 55, although there are is a good group of them there. Lots of younger guys, and a real mixture of Porsches, 914's through gt3 Cups. And if people misbehave they are talked to, and if necessary for the safety of others, sent home.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default NCRC

Jack writes, "Consider Thunderhill with NCRC….NCRC is a bargain and it's run by some smart guys."

Agree 100%…Northern California Racing Club (NCRC) runs a great event. Minimal racing but multiple levels of DE based on experience. Great management, no BS. Economical too! Thunderhill has minimal walls to hit, lots of run off, technical track with some off camber turns.
2014 SCHEDULE
Sat January 25, Laguna Seca: Sold Out
Fri February 7, Thunderhill
Sat March 22, Thunderhill
Sun March 23, Thunderhill: I am doing this weekend!

Sat April 12, Buttonwillow
Sun April 13, Buttonwillow
Fri May 2, Laguna Seca
Fri June 13, Thunderhill
Fri June 20, Laguna Seca
Sat June 28, Thunderhill
Sun June 29, Thunderhill
Fri July 18, Thunderhill
Mon July 28, Laguna Seca
Sat August 2, Thunderhill
Sun August 3, Thunderhill May do this one too, a little warm though

Fri August 22, Thunderhill
Mon September 1, Laguna Seca
Fri September 19, Thunderhill
Sat September 27, Buttonwillow
Sun September 28, Buttonwillow
Fri October 10, Thunderhill
Sat October 25, Thunderhill
Sun October 26, Thunderhill May do this one: Ideal weather, rain tires maybe?

Sat December 27, Laguna Seca
Sun December 28, Laguna Seca: I'll do this if I can get a house pass
Old 01-04-2014, 04:38 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Love ncrc too. Dave and Luc are top notch. Mike
Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,334 Posts

not many ppl in norcal rack up as many track days as i do.
pca ggr age has and is continue to drop. 55yo and over is minority now.
nasa hpde4 and TT is great. but the slower groups, not so much. it may be fun, but it's not a place to learn.
ncra is great, but avoid SM's there. 9 out of every 10 SM there simply cant find where the track or the other cars are at... yes, i know.
trackmaster is great as well. but there are some cowboys there. look around.
HOD, light traffic. lots of driving time. watch for the fast cars, not fast drivers. i have driven with many of them who's cars are twice as wide as the front straight.

that about sums it up for norcal.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mooty
not many ppl in norcal rack up as many track days as i do.
pca ggr age has and is continue to drop. 55yo and over is minority now.
nasa hpde4 and TT is great. but the slower groups, not so much. it may be fun, but it's not a place to learn.
ncra is great, but avoid SM's there. 9 out of every 10 SM there simply cant find where the track or the other cars are at... yes, i know.
trackmaster is great as well. but there are some cowboys there. look around.
HOD, light traffic. lots of driving time. watch for the fast cars, not fast drivers. i have driven with many of them who's cars are twice as wide as the front straight.

that about sums it up for norcal.
Pretty good summary of NorCal. I don't quite understand this, "pca ggr age has and is continue to drop. 55yo and over is minority now."

If you are in San Francisco, you can also venture south to Laguna Seca. NCRC, SpeedVentures and others have events here. Most any Club's event would be fantastic at Laguna Seca; it's the track!

If one is willing to drive a bit, Buttonwillow Raceway can be fun. Lots of Clubs run here. SpeedVentures is here as well as NCRC.

Re. NCRC, Mooty advises us to "...avoid SM's there.." What is a SM? A slow *%$#?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

SM stands for Spec Miata. Mostly in race group(fully caged cars) though with ncrc. If they cluster not easy to pass unless u go thru the grass. Mike

Quick Reply: First track day in Bay Area - what club?