Sponsored by:

Setup wheels and pads vs alignment rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Setup wheels and pads vs alignment rack

hi. we at ZSA use an MK Technologies 3800 alignment rack, pad. works great. roll the car up, has nice features. you can access underneath when on the rack.
its just a bear to setup.

we were thinking of getting like an MKTechnologies or Porsche OEM set of alignment setup wheels. using those to put them on small pad levelers.

my understanding is we would use the airjacks to get the carup and then we have 2 stage jackstands. take the wheels off. mount the alignement wheels, and lower then onto the pads, which were previously leveled and put back in the same spot.

to me, that seems a good bit more easy to deal with than spending 2 hours setting up a big alignment rack. the wheels sound like they'd be more accurate with less deflection. but the real goal is to have a solution that setups and breaks down easier adn takes up less space.

anyone have any good experience with both full rack and wheel setups? what ar eyour thoughts? what wheels ave you seen, have you used? what works great, what doesnt?

anyone know of any great sets out there for sale? (please PM me)

thx.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 922 Likes on 562 Posts

The alignment hub stands are more accurate. You could also check out Hubstands. You have to make sure the scales can take the high point loads without any deflection. You will still need to level the four pads, but with a laser setup it can go pretty quick. As with anything, you can have good, quick, or fast - pick two.

If you want to see a very nice set with wireless load cells in them and have a heart attack at the price http://velocityhaus.com/set-up-tools...s-gt-cars.html
Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The alignment hub stands are more accurate. You could also check out Hubstands. You have to make sure the scales can take the high point loads without any deflection. You will still need to level the four pads, but with a laser setup it can go pretty quick. As with anything, you can have good, quick, or fast - pick two.

If you want to see a very nice set with wireless load cells in them and have a heart attack at the price http://velocityhaus.com/set-up-tools...s-gt-cars.html
those look neat. they are expensive because they have the load cells in them, so you dont need scales. most wheels are like 3,4,5k, and then another fewk for wireless scales. so that saves you the scale.

to me, i think id rather have a regular set of wireless scales from intercomp (which we currently have), get some pad levelers, pads, and then something like the MKTechnologies wheels on them.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my set-up pad. Takes about 30 minutes to install and put to level. When necessary, we use the Hustands to work or the alignment set-up, otherwise, I have tool to work on the alignment when the wheels are on it (toe out, rain set-up...). Works very well.

c.
Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2013, 10:12 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

so you roll up the ramp, jack it up. connect each wheel one by one, etc. and then lower it back down?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:28 AM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of the original version of the HUBStands which is now called the fixed base. They work, but the built in slip plate does not work well (at least for me) and I still have to use slip plates on my scales…which are thin garbage bags spayed will a little PAM cooking oil.

HUBStands added a roller bearing version that they call the PRO model. This is very similar to the MKTechnologies set up wheels.

I would recommend a roller bearing model…and with some of the nice options that MKTechnologies offers, like the toe / camber board and mounting kit, I would recommend them…
Old 11-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SG-ZSAMotorsport
so you roll up the ramp, jack it up. connect each wheel one by one, etc. and then lower it back down?
Yes, I roll the car on it, remove the bridge between the scales, jack the car up, put the hubstands on one side at a time. That's it.

I have the standard HS and it works fine. I have white garbage bags to help it slip on the scales, but I haven't use them yet, the base of the hubstands slips fine (in my case). I was about to buy the pro version with the rollers, but I was told that it was not necessary, which I agree so far. If you use them often, maybe that the roller version would be better.

They come with the toe sticks and I had MantisSport make me an adapter for my camber caster gauge. So I can use it with the wheels on and with the hubstands. I like this stuff a lot.

c.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:30 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts
Default ProHUBStands

pic of a Cup car with air jacks on wood blocks using our ProHUBStands to make set up changes at an ALMS race. Also works with scales and simple pad levelers; levelers with ramps; and a full pad/rack. Sent you a pm
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts
Default ProHUBStands

ProHUBStands with two versions of scale pad levelers, with and without roll offs.
Attached Images   
Old 11-22-2013, 05:48 AM
McRae
Instructor

This is a version of what's most common in Europe:
<embed src='http://www.gbox.se/video/player.swf' height='280' width='328' allowscriptaccess='always' allowfullscreen='true' flashvars='image=remember_player11.png&file=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gbox.se%2FG BOX_setup.flv&plugins=viral-1d'/>
Easy to get up on with 2 stage jackstands and very easy to work on the car. It's so much easier to adjust and also measure rideheight when you have access from beneath, which you don't have on the lower levellers (I hate those).

Edit. crap, that didn't work. Check out www.gbox.se setuppallets halfway down on the page.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:54 AM
McRae
Instructor

http://www.racecam.de/upload/images/...5180e_phil.jpg
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Setup wheels and pads vs alignment rack