Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast through a corner -- 1960s technology still shines

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Jack, I do have a question. it sounds in your video as if you are not really rev-matching on downshifts. i wonder if you'd be able to carry slightly higher entry speeds (as well as be easier on yoru car) if you did? Might be worth a couple tenths at each corner requiring a downshift...
Old 11-21-2013, 01:36 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,336 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Willow Springs will produce these type of results in unequal cars (on paper at least). When comparing my times in my 996 GT3 and 944 Spec race car (cars that couldn't be more different) the time delta between the two cars with the same driver and both on 100 TW rubber was way less than the tracks at Auto Club Speedway, Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, Spring Mountain etc.

The mechanical grip that is available to each car is more important at Willow Springs IMO.

As others have said, knowing the track intimately AND the confidence in the NT01 (great all purpose tires) surely help!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Jack is your car 2420 with driver? I believe the cup weight you quoted is a bit low and doesn't include the driver.

Buy some Hoosiers already!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM
tonypai
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Jack is your car 2420 with driver? I believe the cup weight you quoted is a bit low and doesn't include the driver.

Per Google, I found Cup Car weights from 3170-3480 pounds. Not sure of the exact weight of that specific car. But that could explain the speed differences. A lot less weight for Jack to manage through the corners allowing higher speeds and the higher horsepower Cup car would be faster on the straights.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:08 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts

The vMin comparison is tantalizing, but ultimately I don't think it's very meaningful.

Segment times are where you'll see the truth revealed (even if you exclude the straight following track out and only compare brake-point-to-track-out segments).

Also missing from this discussion are differences in LINE. Cars as different as these may require substantially different technique) And it IS possible for a faster line (or, said another way, a superior sequence of driver-inputs) will involve a lower vMin. You would not be able to discern such situations from only comparing vMins.

Still....... f*cking awesome car Jack!! Color me jealous.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypai
Per Google, I found Cup Car weights from 3170-3480 pounds. Not sure of the exact weight of that specific car. But that could explain the speed differences. A lot less weight for Jack to manage through the corners allowing higher speeds and the higher horsepower Cup car would be faster on the straights.
That's way too high, probably the street car weight. The Porsche specs list the 997 cup weight as 1160kg (2557lbs). So I figure the delta is closer to 300lb if Jack's vehicle weight includes driver.

The cornering speed comparison doesn't surprise me much, I've experienced the same thing on track in mixed traffic.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:23 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

How'd I miss all this discussion?

Originally Posted by winders
Jack, instead of looking ay MPH at some point or multiple points on the track, look at the time it takes to get from corner entry to corner exit. Looking at individual points on the track for MPH can lead to conclusions that could prove inaccurate.
Jump to the video at the end of this post. It's uploading as I type. I took the full segment from the entrance to turn 3 to the exit of turn 5 for each car. I figured that would cancel out some of the Cup Car's horsepower advantage, since I don't stand a chance there. It's the most technical part of the track, and the slowest. There's an argument to be made that it's where the slicks and the modern suspension should make a difference, although the ~115-lb weight difference does give me some advantage there. But remember, we're talking semi-trailing arms and all the old VW-style stuff the 911 started out with.

You might be surprised by the result.

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Not surprised by either. My information supports this corner speed parity.

Scott is right in that the difference is the distance delta to get there and to get out is the difference.

Jack, you need more juice!
Ok. You won't be surprised. And thank you.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I am genuinely impressed at your preformance on NT01's, Jack!
It's a pretty impressive tire, I'd say. Although if I had the money to leave it behind, I'm sure I would be even happier with something stickier.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Familiar and comfortable are two different things, Kai.

Jack is not only intimately familiar with his car, perhaps more so than the Cup driver, but also is supremely comfortable and, most importantly, CONFIDENT that he can ask more of the car than he thinks it can give, and still fix it if something goes wrong.

The benefit of the newer cars is not necessarily a higher vMin (which is why Jack's isolated data points work), it's not. It's the lesser amount of time spent there...

It's that the later cars are more stable (generally in transition) and inspire more confidence so that the "V" shape of the speed delta is crisper, cleaner and more efficient than the old cars.

This stability, in my opinion and experience, infuses a comfortable and confident driver's subconscious with the desire and resolve to "ask more" from the platform they're driving.

It's a neat science, but not all cut and dried, as the examination of isolated vMin points show.

Hat's off to Jack! He's driving the hell out of his car!

You have to remember, my primary focus is "old" cars. So I have LOTS of data to support what Jack has shown...
Thanks. I have a lot of laps at Willow, having been going there now for over a decade. I don't know if 'comfortable' or 'confident' describe me so much as 'informed from having gone off every corner of the track multiple times.' But the end effect might be the same.

Originally Posted by kurt M
...unless the point is to look at the individual.

pick and choose the right data for a desired result is the foundation of the 3 types of stats format.
I wouldn't call this scientific, just interesting. The Cup Car is definitely the faster car and the other driver is definitely better than me.

Originally Posted by KaiB
Fun stuff Jack!

I'm also surprised (actually very surprised) that your corner speeds are that close to those of a well driven Cup.

Not at all surprised that the average Joe in a Cup would be slower through the twisties.
Thanks. Brent Holden isn't an average Joe, really. But I don't know how long his name had been on the windshield of this car at this point. I assume with a little set-up work his lap times continued to drop down further.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Jack, I do have a question. it sounds in your video as if you are not really rev-matching on downshifts. i wonder if you'd be able to carry slightly higher entry speeds (as well as be easier on yoru car) if you did? Might be worth a couple tenths at each corner requiring a downshift...
I do rev match on my downshifts. It's pretty clear in some of my videos. Sometimes the sound synch is off on these clips, since I pull audio from the rear-facing camera.

No, it does not include the driver. I think I'm up around 2,650 with all my aero, other gear and chubby self in the car.

Originally Posted by quickxotica
The vMin comparison is tantalizing, but ultimately I don't think it's very meaningful.

Segment times are where you'll see the truth revealed (even if you exclude the straight following track out and only compare brake-point-to-track-out segments).

Also missing from this discussion are differences in LINE. Cars as different as these may require substantially different technique) And it IS possible for a faster line (or, said another way, a superior sequence of driver-inputs) will involve a lower vMin. You would not be able to discern such situations from only comparing vMins.

Still....... f*cking awesome car Jack!! Color me jealous.
Thanks. The segment time test did surprise me. I'll put it at the end of this post.

That's way too high, probably the street car weight. The Porsche specs list the 997 cup weight as 1160kg (2557lbs). So I figure the delta is closer to 300lb if Jack's vehicle weight includes driver.

The cornering speed comparison doesn't surprise me much, I've experienced the same thing on track in mixed traffic.
I've got to assume this was Holden's fastest time that day, so I don't think traffic is/was a big issue. It was an open lap for me, too.

Okay, here's what I did. It's not very straightforward, since the camera lenses in each car are not in the the same position or with the same depth. But I pulled out a clip from a patched mark right before turn 3 and went through to the start of the rumble strip for turn 6. There's only one small straight included in the segment, which the Cup Car definitely out-accelerates me on. But I didn't correct for that. The segment is mostly corners and so is mostly going to reflect suspension performance over acceleration.

I tried pulling the segments a couple of times, working to get as fair a comparison as possible. In some of them, we were almost dead even. In some tries, I was almost 1/10th of a second quicker through the segment. I used the one that favors the other guy the most, where the difference was a single frame of video -- which in this case is 1/25th of a second.

Now, again -- there are Cup Car laps out there with significantly lower overall times. But I don't have one of those with speed data overlaid. Those guys would definitely be quicker through this segment than I am. If I get a chance, I'll pull the same segment from the Audi R8 footage in the 1:19 lap and I have no doubt it will be much quicker than me, in spite of my occasional higher low-speed-at-corner-entry moments. (Does that make any sense?)

Here's the video:

Old 11-21-2013, 07:37 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But still....
Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

A side by side with this video is actually quite interesting, verdict:
Jack, you haul some serious *** at Big Willow.
One of my favorite cars, Tyson worked some magic on that suspension.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:16 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Aspesi gets me by 1-1/3 seconds through the segment (and by 5.35 seconds for the lap).

So, definitely score one for the Cup Cars.

But thanks.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Aspesi gets me by 1-1/3 seconds through the segment (and by 5.35 seconds for the lap).

So, definitely score one for the Cup Cars.

But thanks.
I think its a 997 Cup car, but not sure of its configuration.
Does seem more representative of what the new cars are capable of.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:29 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Well, it's the fastest of all the Cup Cars, for years, in a very fast region for Porsche racing.

It's definitely faster than me.

Last edited by JackOlsen; 11-22-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

jack is not familiar with TH, when i drove with him years ago. if he drove it more often, i think he can get to 1:54 or 1:55 pretty easily with the car if not faster.

oh, make sure you stablized that big wing. it scares me hahaha.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:51 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
jack is not familiar with TH, when i drove with him years ago. if he drove it more often, i think he can get to 1:54 or 1:55 pretty easily with the car if not faster.
Going over the top of 5?

That makes his car faster than all but 1 or 2 GTL cars...most of which weigh less, have more power, have better aero, and have a lot more rubber on the road. I kind of doubt it....

Even if you are talking about using the bypass I think that is a stretch....
Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Turns 11 and 14 mean I'll never have enough power to be really quick at Thunderhill. I think I could improve on my old numbers (1:59 w/bypass, 2:01 w/the cyclone) with a little more seat time there. Thunderhill is not as simple a track as people think.

But you need horsepower to do really well there.

Quick Reply: Fast through a corner -- 1960s technology still shines