Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How common is it to re-gear a Cayman S transmissio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:50 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How common is it to re-gear a Cayman S transmissio?

As I continue my search for a Cayman S track car, I haven't noticed any that have been re-geared.
Since I am used to my re-geared 993, it got me wondering - is a Cayman S in need of re-gearing (excepting I suppose the pro race series)?
Thanks
Old 10-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
As I continue my search for a Cayman S track car, I haven't noticed any that have been re-geared.
Since I am used to my re-geared 993, it got me wondering - is a Cayman S in need of re-gearing (excepting I suppose the pro race series)?
Thanks
Rick, you won't find many (if any) re-geared Caymans. In prepared PCA class different ring and pinions can be installed. I had that done this summer but the jury is still out on whether I keep it that way. I know of only one other racer that had this done on their Cayman.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:04 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Rick, you won't find many (if any) re-geared Caymans. In prepared PCA class different ring and pinions can be installed. I had that done this summer but the jury is still out on whether I keep it that way. I know of only one other racer that had this done on their Cayman.
Hi Frank
Thanks; the last thing I want to find out is that I should spend $ on re-gearing.
I'd like to share the build specs of the cars I am considering.
Is that ok with you?
Old 10-27-2013, 02:32 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I would think not since it is a 6 speed compared to earlier model cars with a 5 speed.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:48 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

would it be easier to leave the gearbox stock and change the final drive?

that said, I know there's a 996 short ratio set out there...but it's not cheap, and whether or not it's a good "speed per dollar" mod is unknown to me.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 AM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

If your rules allow, you may want to swap your gearbox for an older 5 speed from a Boxster (non-S). Those ratios seem better suited for racing, and this route is much lower cost than changing the ring and pinion ratio on these cars. One guy on 986forums who races in Finland did this, and has won his series two years in a row. Good luck...
Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
would it be easier to leave the gearbox stock and change the final drive?

that said, I know there's a 996 short ratio set out there...but it's not cheap, and whether or not it's a good "speed per dollar" mod is unknown to me.
The gearbox output shaft is the pinion shaft in the transaxle so not easier to change one or the other. Everything gotta come apart.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley

Hi Frank
Thanks; the last thing I want to find out is that I should spend $ on re-gearing.
I'd like to share the build specs of the cars I am considering.
Is that ok with you?
Rick, of course! I spent a small fortune on this mod and I'm not sure it's actually worth it. Problem is that on some tracks like Pocono and WGI with long straights you will be bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th gear and the ring and pinion are very small so they could easily break if for example you get back on the track after an "off" while spinning your wheels. You clearly have better acceleration and you're always in the right gear.

I can email you the spec of my car as it has evolved a bit over time. I have spent a lot of money on items that I found to have a marginal benefit (big brake kit) and I was missing some items that I wished I had spent the money on airliner (Motorsport air/oil separator, true oil pressure display, Motorsport coolant temp switch, 3rd radiator).
Old 10-27-2013, 07:20 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Rick, of course! I spent a small fortune on this mod and I'm not sure it's actually worth it. Problem is that on some tracks like Pocono and WGI with long straights you will be bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th gear and the ring and pinion are very small so they could easily break if for example you get back on the track after an "off" while spinning your wheels. You clearly have better acceleration and you're always in the right gear.

I can email you the spec of my car as it has evolved a bit over time. I have spent a lot of money on items that I found to have a marginal benefit (big brake kit) and I was missing some items that I wished I had spent the money on airliner (Motorsport air/oil separator, true oil pressure display, Motorsport coolant temp switch, 3rd radiator).
Hi Frank
Thanks; I'll send you a PM with my email. It's always good to learn from the experiences of others.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rick, sent you an email.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

As far I know there are still no gears available for the 987.1 six speed. I have not looked for a while and I could be wrong.

However, you can install the gearbox out of a 986S boxster and rear-gear 3,4,5 through California Motorsports (and/or change the R&P as well).

Cheers,
Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

Just out of monkey curiosity I looked at some of the modern transmissions compared to the g50/30 in my car.

The Caymans look pretty decent stock, all use factory rev limits and tires are 265/40 x18 for the newer cars and 265/35 x18 for my old 993, The Cayman S manual 6 speed loks particularly good stock.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you, Bill!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Just out of monkey curiosity I looked at some of the modern transmissions compared to the g50/30 in my car.

The Caymans look pretty decent stock, all use factory rev limits and tires are 265/40 x18 for the newer cars and 265/35 x18 for my old 993, The Cayman S manual 6 speed loks particularly good stock.
Not to hijack the thread, Bill you need to come down to Tremblant next year.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Hell I need to go to Tremblant next year.

Quick Reply: How common is it to re-gear a Cayman S transmissio?