Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michael Stewart, PCA 'racer' hits another car (again!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I would agree with you Matt, but when computers started driving the cars and I could clearly see that while instructing it all changed for me. And this has 0 to do with a talentless driver ramming someone.
If you see you're student gets into the PSM, it's the same as a spin and should be treated as such by the instructor. The student is still in control of the car, the PSM just saves them from the spin. As instructors, I think we can get a little lax and allow people to drive a little faster and closer to the limit in a new car than we would have allowed in an older car.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:27 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
As instructors, I think we can get a little lax and allow people to drive a little faster and closer to the limit in a new car than we would have allowed in an older car.
I would argue that's a good thing. In a 930, stepping out of the envelope will likely get you in trouble. As long as it's treated as such, in a 997 it's a learning experience. I agree though that it can give a false sense of security because there are some mistakes that it won't save your *** from.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

We are mixing threads.... yes?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I think the original topic has about played itself out anyway unless someone else wants to come forward with more examples of PCA racers behaving badly.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:11 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
My 2 cents. This guy is more common then you guys know. There are guys like this driving all over the country.

The problem is that cars are too fast today and the learning curves are too steep. I have said it for years and as an insurer of HPDE Physical Damage/ long time racer/instructor I can tell you guys it’s getting worse not better. I think that we all have to reevaluate how drivers are promoted through the ranks . Its way to easy to get signed off to solo ,it’s too easy to become an “instructor” and its way to easy to get a race license. I have personally seen a guy that crashed during a racing school get his license….ridiculous. Ask your local sanctioning body how often they don’t give a racing license to somebody going through there school? Not often We all have seen instructors that can’t even drive the right line themselves, how can they teach it if they can’t do it?

I know it’s a fine line for our sanctioning bodies. They want to keep participants happy and let them move through the ranks as fast as they want but if people are crashing more because of this then they doing more harm than good to their events. Eventually less people will partake. Let’s face it crashing is be bad for business. The entire mindset for HPDE and racing licensing has to change . It has to be a privilege to move up through the ranks based on one’s ability and willingness to get better. It’s not a right. Today street cars are faster than race cars. I myself have a street car that is faster than my 996 Cup Car . How freaking scary is that ???

We all have to re think where the sport is heading and how to make it safer. Its starts at the ground level with much better education and much stricter driver ability requirements.
+10. This is one of the most valuable posts I've seen on this forum IMHO. AS a junior member of a PCA Club track committee this voices concerns I've had for the past several years. I was probably one of the first instructors at a PCA DE event back in the mid seventies. Since the program was new to PCA there was no instructor base so they used licensed SCCA racers to serve as instructors. It was along time ago but I think it was a lot more difficult to be an instructor than it is today. I think the promotions to upper run groups and promotion to instructor status is sped up by supply and demand. People stop instructing for various reasons & need to be replaced to keep the program going. I think there are way too many "Instructors" who confuse being a DE Instructor to being a Professional Competition Instructor. I cringe when I hear people who are recent "Nationally Certified Instructors", who have never turned a wheel in a race and have limited DE experience, brag about pushing their student to go faster, brake deeper, trail brake etc. When I instruct I am there to make the DE experience safe and fun, not to see that the "student" becomes the next Leh Keen! That should be left to the professionals, many of whom participate on this forum.
Thank you for your post!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

I think part of the problem is that some drivers are too eager to go racing therefore cut corners to get there. They can drive reasonably quick, but haven't developed the situational awareness that comes with lots of seat time and experience. I thought I was hot stuff when I showed up for my first Club Race in 2000 at Summit Point. Got humbled really quick in the first practice session by the likes of Scotto, Burger, and Savenor when they were driving their old F cars.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:51 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back on topic. I was run off the track 3 times at Hallett. Twice by the same driver. I spoke with him and lunch and was perfectly clear. This was a freebie, next time I would let him hit me. He got the message. The third incident was at the end of the day but a short message to the driver cleared it up. Some listen some just need to be shown a lesson.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:54 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by amondc
Back on topic. I was run off the track 3 times at Hallett. Twice by the same driver. I spoke with him and lunch and was perfectly clear. This was a freebie, next time I would let him hit me. He got the message. The third incident was at the end of the day but a short message to the driver cleared it up. Some listen some just need to be shown a lesson.
twice and id be fuming. a third and id pack it up for the weekend and head home in fear id do something foolish.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
I think part of the problem is that some drivers are too eager to go racing therefore cut corners to get there. They can drive reasonably quick, but haven't developed the situational awareness that comes with lots of seat time and experience. I thought I was hot stuff when I showed up for my first Club Race in 2000 at Summit Point. Got humbled really quick in the first practice session by the likes of Scotto, Burger, and Savenor when they were driving their old F cars.
+1. This is an extremely salient & valuable point.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Just sounds to me like you are always in the way...
Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Just sounds to me like you are always in the way...
For years I've been convinced that he build his cars out of giant magnets or they have gravitational pull of some kind.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:01 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And you never did figure out why I was winging all those empty beers at you...
Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
I think part of the problem is that some drivers are too eager to go racing therefore cut corners to get there. They can drive reasonably quick, but haven't developed the situational awareness that comes with lots of seat time and experience.
Hey, you could have failed me on my checkout ride!

Agreed but another part of the problem seems to be the lack of respect towards other racers and their cars. Lack of remorse and limited talent are a dangerous combo.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

I moved quickly from DE to club racing, 2 years, I have run 30 races now and hopefully have not pulled to many bonehead moves. I don't see swift progression as a problem if the person is comfortable in traffic and the close proximity of other cars. As long as you know your capability's and drive within them you can coexist with the faster cars on the track and not be a hindrance or unsafe. I see it more as an attitude problem. An example of this is when I was at Watkins Glen. In the Test and Tune all of the race cars were grouped together. Letter cars with cup cars ect. I saw a group of cup cars coming up fast going into the heel of the boot . I let the first 2 through on the inside and proceeded to turn in for the apex low and behold the third car decided to shoot the apex at the same time. I just caught him there out of the corner of my eye and did not turn in, missing his door by inches. This was the first day of practice and that move was ill advised by the cup car. I was in a much slower car and he did not know me or my skills. I guess a pass there was of so high importance to him that he would risk an incident to get by. Also he did not respect that I had a right to be there. This is a hobby and I cannot understand the impatience some people show on the track.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgmark
An example of this is when I was at Watkins Glen. In the Test and Tune all of the race cars were grouped together. Letter cars with cup cars ect. I saw a group of cup cars coming up fast going into the heel of the boot . I let the first 2 through on the inside and proceeded to turn in for the apex low and behold the third car decided to shoot the apex at the same time. I just caught him there out of the corner of my eye and did not turn in, missing his door by inches. This was the first day of practice and that move was ill advised by the cup car. I was in a much slower car and he did not know me or my skills. I guess a pass there was of so high importance to him that he would risk an incident to get by. Also he did not respect that I had a right to be there. This is a hobby and I cannot understand the impatience some people show on the track.
It's only the Cup Car drivers........

Quick Reply: Michael Stewart, PCA 'racer' hits another car (again!)