Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More track time or faster, more competitive car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013 | 10:29 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
You are putting the cart before the horse.

Real racers will race anything. They are not concerned with "like" because the car is a means to an end, just a tool. If it is uncompetitive they will help engineer it to become competitive. If it's already fast they will make it faster. If it sucks it gets replaced with something more competitive in class and the process starts over. A common joke we have is if there was a shopping cart class we'd all line up ready to rock.

Stop worrying about the car and start thinking about how you need to develop the experience necessary to be competitive in whichever environment you want to be in.

Using a sim is only one example of getting seat time. There are others, many of which are much cheaper than a 6 figure sim.
^ This
Old 10-04-2013 | 10:59 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
^ This
+1

To stay in shape in terms of driving between events and during the autumn and spring, I started racing 4 stroke karts. That is dirt cheap. Could have gone with the Rotax Max, but I don't see the point. Again, it is slower and you can see your mistakes in a split second and it costs a lot in terms of position on the track when you make one. So you put your mind in that area where you always want to improve otherwise you stay behind the pack, which is not what you want. If you have the skills, the rest is all in you head. So you need to practive more to achieve that mindset.

c.
Old 10-04-2013 | 11:08 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Hoo boy, my first DE is this weekend. I sure hope Gary ain't my instructor!

P.S. I'll be at Chuckwalla too, mid-month, so I get to see the Bee in person!
I'm flying out to San Diego just so I can instruct for this group...

Please don't take that comment the wrong way, the OP wasn't initially clear and it sure sounded like another DE guy that wants to substitute power for skill, and that strikes a nerve with me... You want to learn, i'm your guy. You want to be the fastest DE guy by buying/bringing the fastest car? I'm not your guy.
Old 10-04-2013 | 11:12 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Wow. What a bizarre thread. Look, any newbie can drive a fast car slow. The point is not pushing your foot to the floor in a TT and going faster than lower powered cars. The fun comes when you are good enough to mix it up wheel to wheel, lap after lap, actual racing against drivers who are pretty good, in cars similar to yours, getting by them if you are good enough. And after the race having them come up to you, pop a beer, and ask you how much hp does that thing really have? Sheesh!

Meanwhile, it's snowing today in Denver. I wonder if tomorrow's race at HPR will happen?
Old 10-04-2013 | 11:15 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raspritz
Wow. What a bizarre thread. Look, any newbie can drive a fast car slow. The point is not pushing your foot to the floor in a TT and going faster than lower powered cars. The fun comes when you are good enough to mix it up wheel to wheel, lap after lap, actual racing against drivers who are pretty good, in cars similar to yours, getting by them if you are good enough. And after the race having them come up to you, pop a beer, and ask you how much hp does that thing really have? Sheesh!
Must be some really interesting DE's you attend!
Old 10-04-2013 | 11:23 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm flying out to San Diego just so I can instruct for this group...

Please don't take that comment the wrong way, the OP wasn't initially clear and it sure sounded like another DE guy that wants to substitute power for skill, and that strikes a nerve with me... You want to learn, i'm your guy. You want to be the fastest DE guy by buying/bringing the fastest car? I'm not your guy.
Ah, no worries...I was just razzing you. I'd much rather have a good instructor who's a hard ***, than a weenie instructor that is afraid to damage my ego. If I do something stupid, I want to hear about it. I'm taking the training to LEARN.
Old 10-04-2013 | 02:16 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LBF
Ok that all makes a great deal of sense. I wonder if I take the cup motor out of the bee and put in something less powerful and less expensive in terms of accruals would this accomplish the objectives of creating a great learning car, more affordable accruals and, lastly will it be competitive? I'm not sure on the last point.
If you pop the cup motor out of the Bee and stick in a breathed on 3.6L, you'll have the ultimate FAST momentum/trainer car. You'll also have a car similar to what a number of experienced POC racers have and they'll be able to (and willing to) help you quite a bit as you progress.
Old 10-04-2013 | 03:30 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Wink

Must be some really interesting DE's you attend!
I think I said racing, not DEs. DEs are for practice and tuning.
Old 10-04-2013 | 03:32 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Wink

Sorry; duplicate post.
Old 10-04-2013 | 03:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mehoff
If you pop the cup motor out of the Bee and stick in a breathed on 3.6L, you'll have the ultimate FAST momentum/trainer car. You'll also have a car similar to what a number of experienced POC racers have and they'll be able to (and willing to) help you quite a bit as you progress.
I wouldn't touch that car if it's the one I remember, TON of development went into it to get it where it is. You want to get a car that is similar but mostly stock components? How populated is PCA Stock E out that way? A nice fully developed 84-89 911 is a great car, plenty fast if driven well, and relatively inexpensive to run (compared to the "Bee"). The best thing to do is pick a popular class with the car type you like, on tracks you run and buy/learn to drive THAT car. If you can afford both, good, if not sell the hybrid..
Old 10-04-2013 | 09:47 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

The best thing to do is pick a popular class with the car type you like, on tracks you run and buy/learn to drive THAT car.
+1
and then and only then, if you still are the fastest in class (podium regularly) you know it is your driving skills and not the car's HP....

Quick Reply: More track time or faster, more competitive car?