Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aim vs Motec

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013 | 06:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Mark, I'll PM you. I recommend the same as Ben Sinnott, Claude Malette and I have. I would probably choose the G-Dash over the wheel, although the wheel works fine.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-30-2013 | 06:20 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikew968
I currently have an Aim Piasta mxl. I am building a new car and the builder like the Motec units. He says they are significantly easier to program and get information out of them. I would like to hear the pro's and con's as others see it!

Thanks,
If not going Pro racing stick with AIM ..........

Regards,
Old 09-30-2013 | 06:42 PM
mcongleton
Racer

OK, thank's Peter, talk soon

Mark
Old 09-30-2013 | 09:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The wheel is awesome but you have to check your seating position in reference to the shift lights and display. For me, it would put the display too low.
Old 09-30-2013 | 10:13 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Matt the wheel is for a Formula car I think Peter just installed one in his Sports 2000 I too have a Sports 2000 but I would never put the wheel in my RSR.

Mark
Old 09-30-2013 | 10:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Formula wheel and GT wheel!
Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2013 | 10:37 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Yikes. I had no idea there was a GT wheel too. Thanks Peter

Mark
Old 10-01-2013 | 01:15 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I was talking about the GT wheel. The formula wheel works very well in the cars I've seen (S2000 and an FC).
Old 10-01-2013 | 07:37 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

I have a Motec ADL2 with i2 pro. I find it exceptionally logical and easy to use, but I am a computer engineer by trade. Before motec I had a racepak G2X and I found the software incredibly confusing. i2 Pro is simple to use and also amazingly powerful. I've downloaded and tried the Aim stuff, and found it somewhere in the middle.
Old 10-01-2013 | 07:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have found that the ADL2 and ADL3, along with the later generations of the SDL and CDL, to be terrific.

With the addition of the Race Grade GPS and the Pro Logging option, they are the most capable systems in the world.

IMO, RacePak is not particularly user friendly or very powerful.
Old 02-07-2014 | 06:12 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Any update on when the MXL2 will be out?
Old 02-07-2014 | 08:10 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

AIM tells me they just finished testing last week in Spain and the dealers should get some in a couple weeks. I have a standing order for some, but I suspect, like the SC HD, we may be waiting longer.
Old 02-07-2014 | 09:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sounds like the MXG first with the MXL2 shortly thereafter. I know Jerry and I have been chomping at the bit for them... The SC HD GP may come along with the MXL2. We'll see...

I just finished my annual MoTeC East dealer training and really enjoyed learning about the next generation of MoTeC stuff. The ADL3 is now special order only, replaced by the equally powerful and more flexible C185. The SDL3 has been dropped.

The CDL3 will stick around for a little while for those that like that monochromatic form factor, but I couldn't help it and came home with a new C125, with all the options, for my car! Best way to learn the system...

I run an EVO4/G-Dash/SC HD and a Video VBOX Lite in my car also, along with hopefully soon a Race-Keeper HDX. Can't wait to put the MoTeC C125 in! Seriously nice piece and very, very powerful, even as their base system.

But on the drive home, I really think the flexibility, power and extraordinary configuration freedom of the MoTeC makes it a tough choice for the weekend warrior who is not already up to speed on MoTeC. Here are some pics of this cool new offering.
Attached Images   
Old 08-28-2015 | 10:11 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Can you post an update on the situation between Motec and AIM as of mid 2015 ?

Motel seems to be higher quality machine but at almost 50% premium price over AIM
Motec C125 racing logging kit is +- $3200
Aim MXS is +- $2200
Old 08-28-2015 | 10:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by philooo
Can you post an update on the situation between Motec and AIM as of mid 2015 ?

Motel seems to be higher quality machine but at almost 50% premium price over AIM
Motec C125 racing logging kit is +- $3200
Aim MXS is +- $2200
As a dealer for both, the build quality may be marginally higher on the MoTeC, the power of the software and hardware is generally better (less so for the "Club" level C125 vs the "Pro" level C185) as you pay more and add options like Pro Logging, but the final cost tally can be MUCH more, especially for custom looms required for fitting additional sensors. It takes substantially more time to build the configuration (instructions to the dash to tell it how to log, relate and display information from the car) for your individual application and can require more time to do regular maintenance operations. That said, if you have the time and the inclination (or a full time DAG, data acquisition geek) AND the budget, it's the daddy!

The price on MoTeC has recently been dropped to your number. You will need a custom built or generic harness if you are connecting to a non-CANBus equipped car (one that is post 2006, using the car's sensors to send that information to the logger over two wires), so it is more attractive than it's been in the past. Most C125 setups out the door with the most desirable options run $4600-$5400. The C185 starts at $5390 for the dash ONLY. For some applications, like seriously modified PDK Caymans, you may need features present on the C125 to interface with engine and chassis control ECUs. They've made BIG improvements on integrating the GPS coordinates and lap timing functions for the display. All good.

The MXS (and other AiM systems) have fewer options, less "power" (the ability to manipulate the information before it leaves the dash) and because of that, require a good bit less maintenance and attention than the MoTeC. OTOH, these new AiM systems STILL offer about ten to twenty times the capability most DE, track day and club level racing drivers want, use or need, so there is generally no penalty. The additional features and capability of the three new dashes come much closer to matching the capabilities of the MoTeC "pro" line, too. Secondary CAN, an incredible variety of conditional alarms, easier to use and for me, more powerful and useful GPS map channel visualization plus easily integrated, fully instrumented and rendered on top of HD video recorder expansion options make the AiM stuff very easy to use for most people.

You could do the MXS plus Data Hub and a SmartyCam for what the C125 logging kit is before adding ALONE, before adding options or accessories. The MoTeC VCS-HD (camera option) is $3100!?!?! Thankfully, the MoTeC outputs information in a form the SmartyCam HD can MOSTLY understand, so there is some incest possible... for half the price.

Like most things, you pay your money and make your choice, but unless your car has a MoTeC system that you want to upgrade, or you have a specific application that requires it, or you're going pro racing, AiM is probably a better choice. Even more so since the new stuff came out last Thanksgiving. The support is easier to reach, the turnaround lightning fast and the generous installed base means that somebody at the track will most likely be running it and familiar with it to help with questions. Plus full functionality, expanded memory (32GB) and software updates are free. HTH.

Quick Reply: Aim vs Motec