Sponsored by:

Aim vs Motec

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Aim vs Motec

I currently have an Aim Piasta mxl. I am building a new car and the builder like the Motec units. He says they are significantly easier to program and get information out of them. I would like to hear the pro's and con's as others see it!

Thanks,
Old 09-29-2013, 01:10 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Some thoughts:

AIM
- cost
- wiring harness work is easier for novice
- simplicity
- ease of sensor additions (cost, simplicity, etc)

MoTeC
- programmability
- analysis software
- wiring harness is easier for pro
- most functionality

Hands down MoTeC are better for anyone above a novice level, but this comes at a large price jump.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with motec cdl and the race keeper telemetry system.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I think a lot of it depends on what you want to do with the system. Motec has many advanced features, all of which come at a price. AiM will do what almost any amateur and some pro teams need at a much lower price point. Also, when the MXL2 is release, it will have more features like different redlines for each gear, onboard math channels, etc.

Most times it comes down to a budget decision.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Interesting question, and one not easily answered without knowing a lot more about how and what information both the shop and YOU are interested in reviewing and using!

As a dealer for both (and taking delivery of the new MoTeC C125 dash/logger shortly for my own car, I already run an AiM EVO 4 and G-Dash), I can say that there are good similarities between them in functionality and capability for all but the most ADVANCED users, but with that difference noted, a stark and significant difference in their ease of use...

I'm pretty sure that MoTeC, like AiM is doing with the pending MXL2, will transition from their "club level" SDL3 and CDL3 to the two color dash/loggers, the C125 and its bigger brother. The ADL3 will continue for the top level.

More later...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-29-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:31 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I find the Aim tough to learn on my own. If I am to get better with using it and getting better data and having all of that help me be a better driver then I guess I need to find a winter seminar or someone I can work with as a data coach.

Last edited by mikew968; 09-29-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Check out the AiM Vimeo channel. Roger Caddell (the AiM Trainer) has a full class he gave to a group of Spec Miata folks on how to use the software. Another good opportunity to learn a lot, including math channels and a methodology to analyzing data, is to take one of the courses at www.auto-ware.com. John does a great webinar series that is worth it's weight in gold.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:07 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike

Store your car at Sebring and I'll be happy do Data coaching while you at the track. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=23424
Old 09-30-2013, 06:41 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that for amateur drivers/racers AIM is a better choice. MoTeC is A LOT more expensive, so "data per dollar" AIM is a better choice (IMO!). And frankly, maybe in the end you can get more data out of a MoTeC system, but the importance is not the data, but what conclusions you draw based on that data. It's all great that you can log your shocks at 1000Hz but, unless you shell out money for shock pots + get some engineer that understands what all those graphs mean and what to do with them it's just money thrown away. Money that could have been spent getting a decent coach.

The AIM software has more than enough functionalities to do basic and advanced data analysis. If you get a system fixed in the car (EVO4 or MXL Pista for instance), add a Smartycam HD, a steering angle sensor, a ECU connection and a brake pressure sensor you'll have more than enough data to analyse and optimize you and your car's performance. And you still have inputs left to add wheel speeds and shock sensors if you really want to.

Try getting the same stuff listed above from MoTeC and tell me what the price difference is compared to the AIM setup.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have friends at MoTeC but I buy AIM products at retail. MoTeC is just too expensive for my needs when AIM does everything I need and more.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:58 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I do a lot of Data coaching with drivers using Motec and AIM Pista. I've worked with amateur and Pro drivers in the US and from Europe in the Grand Am, IMSA and Continental series. I do not see any advantage of Motec over AIM if the Motec is not a Pro version. The Pro version (more money) can use I2 Pro which is much better that the I2 Standard. If your goal is to improve your driving using data, AIM is more than adequate. If you are sorting out the car to run in a Pro series, and have the cash, Motec Pro is the way to go.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Blitz128
Instructor

For amateur racing how does a Traqmate Dash system compare to the AIM ?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

The Motec CDL3 is fairly similar in price to an MXL, and in my experience, Motec users get much more out of their data than AIM.
The AIM SOLO DL is excellent for the money, but if you want to step up from there, CDL3 is what we recommend.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
I have friends at MoTeC but I buy AIM products at retail. MoTeC is just too expensive for my needs when AIM does everything I need and more.
And that's what I've found to be true for most track-day and club level racing drivers. With the substantial improvements of both the software and the new generation of GPS-based hardware, AiM has stepped it up. Big time.

Originally Posted by amso3
I do a lot of Data coaching with drivers using Motec and AIM Pista. I've worked with amateur and Pro drivers in the US and from Europe in the Grand Am, IMSA and Continental series. I do not see any advantage of Motec over AIM if the Motec is not a Pro version. The Pro version (more money) can use I2 Pro which is much better that the I2 Standard. If your goal is to improve your driving using data, AIM is more than adequate. If you are sorting out the car to run in a Pro series, and have the cash, Motec Pro is the way to go.
Great insight from Jerry, as usual. I will add that most of my MoTeC sales are to pro teams and aspiring pro drivers who MUST, as part of the requirements to run in Grand Am Conti and GT, ALMS or World Challenge, equip their cars with MoTeC SDL3 or ADL3's. Now, while the software (i2 Pro) is free, the ability of the hardware to output the information in a form that can be used by i2 Pro is what the "Pro Logging" option is (and what costs extra) on MoTeC.

Originally Posted by Blitz128
For amateur racing how does a Traqmate Dash system compare to the AIM ?
The Traqmate TraqDash is touch screen capable with a glove on, the AiM is not. The Traqmate shift lights are configurable for RPM, as well as those on the AiM MXL. The AiM G-Dash, and forthcoming MXL2, is configurable for color shift lights and gear-dependent shift points, just like the MoTeC SLM (Shift Light Module). The TraqDash shows RPM in a band, lap time, lap count and has a predictive lap timing bar (green ahead, red behind) that shows the difference between the current lap, real-time, and the best lap recorded or in the session. The AiM dash shows a plus or minus number or a predicted lap time for how fast you are going. The TraqDash shows vMin from the last slow corner and vMax for the last straight, useful diagnostic info. The AiM MXL has programmable alarm lights for high temps, low pressures, etc. The AiM MXL Pista can send logged channel information and control, real-time, a video camera that will overlay those channels on the video. The TraqDash only records data and turns external GoPro or Replay cameras on or off.

One aspect is that IF you have a newer car (post 2006), with two wires, you can pull MUCH more information from the car with the AiM, WITHOUT the need for additional sensor installation on many cars, whereas all you can get with the TraqDash is RPM input...

The biggest difference is for driver performance data, the TraqDash is fine. For vehicle heath parameters and as a dash (instrument cluster) replacement, I can only recommend the AiM, even though you can add sensors for the TD.

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
The Motec CDL3 is fairly similar in price to an MXL, and in my experience, Motec users get much more out of their data than AIM. The AIM SOLO DL is excellent for the money, but if you want to step up from there, CDL3 is what we recommend.
A CDL3 backlit dash display only, with no other options, is $1906. With 8MB logging capability ($552), the accessory package that includes basic harness, GPS and SLM-C ($532) and the ability to add analog sensors ($463) and Pro Logging ($852) comes up to $4305, nearly twice as much as a similarly outfitted MXL ($1999) and GPS-05 ($199, now).

The MXL2 ($1999, estimated) will include GPS, BlueTooth data transfer, customizable backlight, megapixel configurable screen with eight pages of info in a beautiful, rugged, IP65 weather-resistant case. Can't wait...

I will add that many shops with pro racing experience are comfortable and facile with configuring, operating and displaying MoTeC data. Most shops and teams have not explored all of the ways you can get similar information (with equivalent sensors on each installation) out of an AiM system. I find that the power of AiM is more untapped than the power of MoTeC, but that is a function of having someone VERY familiar with the systems assisting in the process.

In my experience, less than 1% of everything that can be done with a MoTeC ADL3 (less than 10% of a CDL3) is used by the typical track-day or club level driver.

Less than 10% of what can be done with an AiM MXL or EVO 4 system (with equivalent sensors to the MoTeC) is used by the typical track day or club level driver.

Until you begin to scratch the surface of turning the raw signal data logged by these two systems into organized charts, scatter plots, histograms and detailed along with summary reports, both of these systems are more than enough.

As AiM has and is transitioning to their new generation of hardware (EVO 4/MXL2/SmartyCam HD) from their legacy hardware (EVO 3/MXL/SmartyCam), so will MoTeC transition to the C125 and C175 dash loggers from the CDL3 and SDL3, in my opinion, leaving the ADL3 (or its potential replacement) to the Pro segment.

The key to your success is ease of use, especially if you don't have a dedicated, educated-in-the-system-you-use engineer. People recommend the systems they're comfortable with. Make sure you buy a system that you can and will use. There are plenty of training resources, as outlined by Matt.

When I see Van and Matt doing so much with AiM, I do question the need for a club level driver to choose MoTeC unless there is a compelling reason, but YMMV.

I do have an EVO 4/G-Dash AND a C125 in my race car... Hell, buy both!

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-30-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:51 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Peter

I am considering AIM for my S2 what would you recommend? How do you like the steering wheel you just installed? You may PM me if that is best.

Thanks

Mark

Quick Reply: Aim vs Motec