Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chatterbox in-helmet installation: pros & cons?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chatterbox in-helmet installation: pros & cons?

Hi,

I'm weighing pros & cons on installing a Chatterbox headset inside the helmet versus shoving the student ear/boom headset into my helmet each time.

My primary concern is:
Does the in-helmet installation work well? I wonder if the earpieces put out less volume because (1) two speakers are driven off the same port and (2) the speakers are slightly further away from the ears as opposed to sitting directly against the outer ear lobe like the student sets. Does the steamy head funk eventually defeat the adhesive?

Any other practical experience is welcome too. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I've used them inside helmets for a decade, and no issues. I can hear fine; they don't fail; aren't susceptible to user error; and are more comfortable.

The only con I can think of is that they're not compatible with real race radios - but that really doesn't have to do with how they're mounted in the helmet.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The in helmet headset works great. Just be sure to get the adapter plug so you can hook up with Instructors using Chatterbox I and II. It is an inexpensive 4" cable....
Old 09-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Installing the full face headset will take a little effort. Depending on which brand helmet you have, you may have to trim the padding around where the earpieces will be mounted. Otherwise they can be uncomfortable. It can be done but requires care. The sound quality is better since you can hear your student with both ears.

I currently just use a student headset like the one I hand to the student and hold the communicator in my hand. Makes it easier to adjust the volume and to mute the mic if I have to sneeze or cough so the student doesn't get an earful.

Both options work well. Just a matter of personal preference.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Chatterbox instructor headsets

Most of our instructors opt for the student headset. The adhesive on the velcro seems to come loose after some use and the ear pieces fall out or move. Plus you don't have the cord hanging from the helmet if you are driving by yourself with no student. Had one customer have his wife sew the ear pieces in his helmet and he said that worked great, but not sure how many wives out there will actually do this.... The new instructor headsets do not come with foam pad covers so you have to purchase those separately if you decide to sew in the ear pieces.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I should clarify, I did put my ear pieces inside the foam - I was able to peel back the fabric from the side padding, and there was a depression right at the ear for the ear pieces. Also, for the microphone, there was a little channel molded into the jaw padding specifically for a microphone and wires. This way, there is nothing to snag or get caught when I put it on/take it off, and it's all tidy and just as comfortable as if they weren't there!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably not your normal experience, however, I tried to use a chatter box last weekend and it was totally worthless in race car with open exhaust.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:34 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mcipseric
Probably not your normal experience, however, I tried to use a chatter box last weekend and it was totally worthless in race car with open exhaust.

Sounds like it's time to upgrade to a Stilo helmet with noise attenuating muffs that are wired for sound! They make the stilo to chatterbox adapter - works great.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Sounds like it's time to upgrade to a Stilo helmet with noise attenuating muffs that are wired for sound! They make the stilo to chatterbox adapter - works great.
how do you use a chatter box or similar solution with radio mic and wired ear plugs?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:44 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I had both, racing radios motorola hookup and the chatterbox.

but, I never tried to use both at same time... used the foam ear pugs for the radio
and the in helmet speakers for the chatterbox. (or the custom molded ear plugs for the radio)

both work fine.

-I did need to use a LOT of hot glue to put the foam back into the helmet, and make it stick....
and its a bit tighter fit.

better than the student head set..
Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Chatterbox adapters

We can get adapter cords so you can use your chatterbox headset with an IMSA or NASCAR plug style radio. They run about $55-60.

You need to confirm if you have the old style Chatterbox with the 6-pin plug or the newer TP2 style 3.5 mm plug end.

They are not on our website so you would have to call to order.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

As a student after a few DEs went with in helmet set and extension cord. Mounted plug on inside right rear edge of full face helmet, then plugged in extension to instructors battery pack unit. No need to mess with "public" student loaner. The idea of a "public" foam mouth mic (being shared on a weekend) was enough for me to get my own.

For instructor, I would mount battery box to outside (left) of helmet.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:26 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I had it in the helmet

Used it once

Tore it out and had the helmet wired with an in car radio

Chatterbox is total crap but better than nothing I suppose
Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been using one since they first came out replacing the real crappy Nady stuff. No real problems overall. Not "real race radio" grade but they cost a small fraction of a race radio set too. Stuck the earphones behind the soft open cell foam in the ear area. Tucked the mike into the cloth that covers the chin area. Straight piped 3.6L hard mounted motor and trans No windows no sound deading, all the motor trans and wind noise you could ever want. Can hear just fine.

I always remind my students to not pull on the wire to remove the headset. I ask that they just take the helmet off and let the headset fall out.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
I had it in the helmet

Used it once

Tore it out and had the helmet wired with an in car radio

Chatterbox is total crap but better than nothing I suppose
What do you use now?

Quick Reply: Chatterbox in-helmet installation: pros & cons?