Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Bridgehampton Race Info 1994-5

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:53 PM
MJT
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bridge! The simple days when most racers drove their cars to the track. There were some that towed but an enclosed trailer was a rarity and there were no tractor trailer rigs with all sorts of high tech paraphernalia. What a terrific track that was. Good thing we were all wet behind the ears because that was one dangerous track. Beech sand everywhere just waiting for one to go off and flip the car. The only armco was on pit straight. The sections were Echo Valley, the Kink, Lightbulb and the notorious Downhill that if done quickly made you **** yourself! At a BMW event some fellows wore t-shirts that read “I did a 1:59 at the Bridge...Yeah right!” You were a hero if you did under 2 minutes. Dick Howe’s “Beast” was just that: One badass car. Dick, while a very mild mannered and engaging young man, looked sinister in his handlebar mustache, and his car matching his appearance. Dark navy blue with all sorts of modifications and a pleasantly rough and tumble look. Dick wasn’t too big on spit and polish. Those were truly the days of grassroots racing. His chief wrench, Charlie Van Ling, was a very innovative fellow and tried all sorts of alchemy on Dick’s car. Needless to say, the car had some reliability problems. Your car would too if someone was testing the limits of its capabilities. Without a doubt the biggest roar ever heard at the Bridge was when Dick won outright in the red group. Not sure if the applause was for Dick or the fact that he just finished that race. I remember viewing with most of the spectators on the downhill counting down the last laps with fingers crossed that Dick and the Beast would finish. Sure enough they did and that was one proud day for Dick and Charley. Have to mention that there were two heavy hitters in that red group: Nick Ventura in the “Batmobile” witch was a heavily modified 914 with a 962 motor and another fellow who was a doctor from New Jersey running a factory 935. Not sure if they were in that race or not, or maybe didn’t finish, but the Beast won and it’s now indelibly etched in PCA Racing folklore. Well, maybe that was an for exaggeration, but those were definitely the days!
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (09-22-2022)
Old 09-25-2013, 12:08 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, for sure a lot of cars were wrecked out there, many in roll overs. There were many deer incidents as well. It was a phenomenal ribbon of pavement, but that was about it; there was a time when there wasn't even a pot to **** in, literally! You had to pee in the bushes! I raced on the Motocross track for a few years before I had a drivers license, and broke my leg way up in the back section, the ambulance came for my off Arentz corner. I easily broke two minutes, in formula cars.
I'd love for someone to post a picture of this Beast you're all talking about, not sure if I can place it.
The New Jersey doctor you mention was a well known club racer and enduro guy for a long time, last name begins with a P, but can't remember it (maybe not so well known...).
Old 09-25-2013, 12:07 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 197 Posts

The 935 owner was Art Pilla. I just saw Art a few weeks ago up at Watkins Glen at a DE ...
The following 2 users liked this post by stownsen914:
DrJupeman (09-22-2022), ProCoach (09-22-2022)
Old 09-25-2013, 12:08 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The New Jersey doctor you mention was a well known club racer and enduro guy for a long time, last name begins with a P, but can't remember it (maybe not so well known...).[/QUOTE]

It is Art Pila, also an incredibly nice guy. He instructed me and grabbed the wheel and gave it opposite lock on the left hander just before the light bulb. I am sure I would have rolled it. There were tons of rollovers. I think the worst was Oliver Z SC (or whatever that car really was) on "the downhill".

FWIW, there was and is no track like "the Bridge." Flat out on the front straight, then the "whoosh" when you go under the bridge, and then flat 4th gear downhill (maybe Ron was in 5th) that was like going down a roller coaster...
Old 09-25-2013, 12:21 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

^^that's the guy^^

And you're right about the circuit, Jon (Bauer).
I think the only one that comes close now is Mosport.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:48 AM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bridge was a terrific track. Cut my teeth at that track in the late 80's and early 90's, not in a Porsche though........dare I say it here.......a Camaro. Although I did do sub 1:59's.....1:54 and change. Raced with EMRA and SCCA back then. We would know the fast guys by whether or not we saw their brake lights come on before the bridge........slow = brake lights, fast = no brake lights. Great track, lots of good times, wonderful experience!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 586 Posts

Art is an NNJR member and still doing lots of track events. I was with him at Pocono two weeks ago. He still likes the turbo cars as he has a 3.6 930.
RyPilla (04-26-2022)
Old 09-27-2013, 11:20 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

My best lap in my 87 Carrera was a 1:47 A magical lap! The next lap was a 1:48
I seemed stuck at 1:51's for ever!
That track got me my nick name Rocketman,thanks to Bob Slawson!
God I loved that track!
ProCoach (09-22-2022)
Old 09-28-2013, 03:47 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

I checked my records, back in 1995 I did a 1:41.9 in this Reynard F/2000. One of very few cars that I could say I ran flat under the bridge down to Millstone. Just a lapping day, not racing.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by gums:
cbracerx (09-23-2022), ProCoach (09-22-2022)
Old 10-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Photos

Here are some photos I took at the Bridgehampton Historic Rally last week
Attached Images   

Last edited by Qwickrick; 10-11-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: photo error
Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

there is a treasure trove at "Bridgehampton Racing Heritage Group" On Facebook.
I just spent 15 minute there.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:21 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Stumbled across it a couple of years ago when we were passing through Long Island. Can only imagine the enjoyment you guys got running that place.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:58 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I wish Patti would call or PM me on the subject of the Bridge!
It truly was the greatest in my opinion! But I must say I have not met a race track I don't like!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:41 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I didn't race there, but did a lot of driving / teaching as well as working the club races. Hoosiers were indeed available then -- I remember driving to the track on a set, it started to rain a little, very scary. Also was there for Dale Smith and Sue Marsh's surprise wedding, an event to remember.

Dick Howe's car had the distinction of its photo being posted in the wall of the food shack.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering
Old 10-16-2013, 06:08 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
Oh boy is that a sore subject Bidgehampton! That was absolutely the greatest track in my world I have many videos and they even have Trophies from the races at the bridge.
Check out this video
bridgehampton 1995 - YouTube
Awesome old-school vid... counter-steering through turn 1... and he knows his way around a 915... that's for sure.

Did the Bridge one time.... drove from Arlington Va in Friday rush hour traffic in my old '70 911S... 7 hours with my Goodrich R1 tires piled on the passenger seat... New York Ave to the BWE, I95, Jersey Pike, Garden State, the BQE (i think) and the LIE... only place with no traffic was Mid-town Manhattan.

Every time I had to shift into 4th or 5th gear, I had to push the tires back with my elbow....

I was a bit younger and a lot stupider then...

Late October, maybe the last event ever run there... just glad I had the chance to experience it.

Busted pavement, sand, deer, wrecked cars, a smelly porta-potty, and no food... what a wonderful experience.

Quick Reply: Help with Bridgehampton Race Info 1994-5