Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road America PCA: Video Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:44 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

Glad it wasn't a lot worse. It is also a good reminder that 1/2 shafts are a time out item.

Peter
Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Forget the flat spotting and ABS issues, your lucky the brake caliper held your disk which was the only thing that kept your wheel on.

I was/am wondering about that: I tried to pull the wheel out, and it wouldn't come, but it's not the the caliper holding it in, so there is something else going on on the back side of the carrier (circlip or maybe a burr on the shaft?). Car is still in the trailer until I install my lift in the garage. Then I'll know for sure what's going on.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Glad it wasn't a lot worse. It is also a good reminder that 1/2 shafts are a time out item.

Peter
Yes, and they were on my list for this winter. The car has 30k miles and has Turbo half-shafts, so they have been replaced at least once before. Never thought they wouldn't last the year. I've also never really seen a failure within the hub like this?

In keeping with the topic at hand, I have the whole thing on video, and would be happy to share it with you guys, but am just not sure about putting it up on Youtube?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear that, François! On the bright side, it wasn't your doing!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Dang Francois, I didn't know all that hAppened. Glad your ok. Maybe something to consider now, turning jelly bean into a full race car and just getting a 996 cup
Yeah Mike, that's kind of the direction, but car is still street-legal with full interior, so there's a mental block regarding stripping and caging, and this shunt wasn't bad enough to make it an obvious next step.

But on the other hand, lapping is getting a bit old, as is waiting for point-byes, and I have some friends racing their cups and egging me on... so I'm there. A cup would be nice, but my car is just the way I want it, just not a factory race car. Decisions, decisions.

That's why I'm not rushing the repair, I will take time to think about it, hoping that I will have an a-ha moment along the way.

This car race-prepped would be a GT2 (gearbox), which seems to be an arms race, so no podium for me, but hey, that's not why we do it now, is it
Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

I believe the rear 1/2 shaft can be removed without disturbing the rear hub and brakes and that is why you didn't loose the rear wheel. Damn that wasn't long for replacement 1/2 shaft. I wonder if it was over torqued when it was installed.

Peter
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

I believe that torque is something like 400 ft-lbs, so I could see someone leaning heavily on the nut with an impact gun. Otherwise, I can't see how the shaft could have broken inside the hub the way it has.

Then again, wheel studs also break for no obvious reason.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,002 Likes on 598 Posts

Post up a picture of the ends of the shaft were it broke. It's not uncommon for splined shafts to break like that.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
This car race-prepped would be a GT2 (gearbox), which seems to be an arms race, so no podium for me, but hey, that's not why we do it now, is it
OT... but GT-2 is not an arms race... it's barely a race. I can't remember the last time I even saw a GT-2 car (a famous GT-2 car blew up at Putnam last year). I'm pretty sure you would be on the podium (by yourself) at every race.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:28 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
^ That seems to have been a common theme; must be the second tier, concrete curbing at RA...

I broke the rear left axle nut => caused the ABS to malfunction => caused left front lock up at T1 and flat spot through steel belt => caused loss of steering (made worse by the fact that I didn't realize what was going on) => went straight off through kitty litter, which BTW doesn't slow you down near as much as you would think => ended up in tire wall, and experienced first hand the very effective track crew ==> which is now causing me to ponder whether or not I should convert Jelli Bn to a full race car
sorry to hear that
Old 09-10-2013, 12:31 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Post up a picture of the ends of the shaft were it broke. It's not uncommon for splined shafts to break like that.
Matt, pic below is all I have, the rest is still on the car. You can see that it broke right at the edge of the hollowed out part however.

Originally Posted by Astroman
OT... but GT-2 is not an arms race... it's barely a race. I can't remember the last time I even saw a GT-2 car (a famous GT-2 car blew up at Putnam last year). I'm pretty sure you would be on the podium (by yourself) at every race.
Then it would suck if there's no one to run with. Would be better off with a GTC for sure, but this is the car I have. What I meant by arms race was that, if I understand correctly, all the super modified GT3s fit in there, no? Whereas my car is just a 'bit' modified.

Sorry about the hijack.
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Just to bring it back on video topic, here is the vid. Password: rennlist

https://vimeo.com/74200859

BTW, I wasn't spaced out at the end, just obeying instructions to stay belted until workers arrive. Thank God for HANS.

The explanation about the axle break causing this is of course speculation, but something external caused the lock up, because other factors are identical to previous laps (speeds, brake point, etc.).
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

oh man thats freaking scary place to have that happen, amazing how early you see your steering wheel telling you something is wrong.

for the future, id be VERY careful turning the car prior to going into a gravel trap (road atlanta rolex race comes to mind).....most cars are alot safer if you go straight into a sandtrap or a wall....
also the hands off the steering wheel. easy to talk about but the hardest thing to do when the time comes.

Really glad your ok and the car is relatively unharmed, id still have that tub looked at by someone, would not be suprised if there is some movement up front.

you should post this in the airbag thread.
this is another reason to unplug your airbags if you have a harness etc...would saved you alot of money right there.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry about the incident...tough deal.
ABS malfunctions because the toothed ring it uses for wheel speed is on the axle shaft. Once the axle breaks the ABS can't read that wheel's speed.
Brakes also don't function normally because the rotor is wobbling around and causes a soft pedal.

If you plan on turning your car into a club racer.... if the only major mods are gearbox and wing, sell them and return to stock.

Run the car in J stock with the other GT3's.

J's a good class, I think there were six cars at Road America.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Besides airbag you also blow the seat belt actuator for $$ I know this from personal experience. The big thing is you are OK and it looked like you were doing around 40mph when you hit. Car didn't slow much once you hit the gravel but you kept it straight and didn't roll.

Peter
Old 09-10-2013, 01:09 PM
BHunt 72T
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, big hit. Notice the G-Force meter at impact... Glad you're okay.

Quick Reply: Road America PCA: Video Thread