Enrolled in Skip Barber MX-5 race school

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Enrolled in Skip Barber MX-5 race school

I wanted to get my race license eventually, and I couldn't turn down a 30% off deal with the clincher, that unlike most of their 3 day schools, this one was available Friday-Sunday the weekend after Christmas,which means minimal time off work.

Anyhow, my reason for posting is that I have to decide whether to buy the damage liability waiver policy. For $500, it covers any cost above $4000/ incident. Obviously if I were to total the car I'd be glad for that coverage, but aren't these cars relatively cheap on repairs otherwise? Or are the MX-5 Cup cars way more expensive to repair than street versions? I will probably buy it but was looking for input.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Find out who else bought it and stay away from them.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 PM
jj1
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you ask the guys at the school? I bet they're pretty straight forward about it. Seems like a lot for such little coverage but I'm sure you'd be glad to have it if you do 20k in damage. Lol
Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

I only spoke with the sales guy. I don't have to decide until the first morning of the school.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

I'd buy it.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask Boston MD.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:52 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Ask if the liability is unlimited without the extra $500. It isn't unlimited for race weekends and IIRC it also wasn't when I took the school some years ago. If the limit is $6-7k without the extra $500 then it's not worth it, IMO. Plus it's a school and not racing so the risks of car contact and damage will be much smaller. The cars are not cheap (they say $40-50k) but that's brand new and also they are not easily totaled due to low HP and street tires. Typical fender/door hit should not be more than a couple grand.

That said, if the risk is unlimited then it may be worth limiting it for $500, for a peace of mind.

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mind sharing the 30% off code?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

Which track are you headed to? "Safe" tracks = lots of runoff, may need insurance less. Tracks with walls everywhere (Sebring, WG) insurance sounds better. Since you do not have to commit until the morning of the first day, you can look at weather, too. Rainy days = more off track fun.

Did the 3-day in MX-5 at Laguna Seca last year, which I would consider a "safe" track. In great weather, one student collected a wall at speed in 6. He did not get the insurance, and looked very unhappy after the school was over. I took the insurance specifically because I wanted to push outside my comfort zone, and did not want anything holding me back. Had a few offs, no damage. It was worth it to me...
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Always buy the insurance.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Ask Boston MD.
When I did the program back in 2006, the insurance coverage was included in cost of the program.....

I did unfortunately wreck two of their formula cars during the program, but they just kept on bringing me another fresh one to hop on to......

Moral of the story, if the insurance in not included in the cost of the racing program definetely buy it and really enjoy what they teach you at the fullest.......
Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
When I did the program back in 2006, the insurance coverage was included in cost of the program.....

I did unfortunately wreck two of their formula cars during the program, but they just kept on bringing me another fresh one to hop on to......

Moral of the story, if the insurance in not included in the cost of the racing program definetely buy it and really enjoy what they teach you at the fullest.......
Wait,wait,wait.....you balled up 2 cars?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

I'd get it for the peace of mind (and I did when I took the same school). Think of it as 15% off and free insurance!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:43 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwane
Wait,wait,wait.....you balled up 2 cars?
I'm pretty sure you are allowed to wreck 4 miata's before they don't sign you off!

Which track? Sebring where you have lots of seat time? and you're still responsible for the 1st 6k? I'd probably take the risk....
Old 09-03-2013, 11:54 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I wanted to get my race license eventually, and I couldn't turn down a 30% off deal with the clincher, that unlike most of their 3 day schools, this one was available Friday-Sunday the weekend after Christmas,which means minimal time off work.

Anyhow, my reason for posting is that I have to decide whether to buy the damage liability waiver policy. For $500, it covers any cost above $4000/ incident. Obviously if I were to total the car I'd be glad for that coverage, but aren't these cars relatively cheap on repairs otherwise? Or are the MX-5 Cup cars way more expensive to repair than street versions? I will probably buy it but was looking for input.
Unless Skippy's changed things, you will be "asked" to participate in at least two (2) race starts as a part of your license requirement(s). Look around the room when you get there at your prospective classmates mark. How many look crazy vs. just insane to you? If you are lucky, you may even be able to figure who, among them has any idea what they are doing. If you're even luckier, some of them will actually have some experience. :-) Fortunately, the starts are (or at least were when I went through it) "rolling" vs. standing - but hey, maybe Skippy's changed this up.

Purchase coverage accordingly. Good luck.

PS - I believe the "race" weekend rules for damage waivers/deductibles etc. are NOT the same as the rules for doing the licensing school; and like wise the deductible may also vary between an "advanced" race school vs. a regular program - be sure to check and make sure you understand the rules for each. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Enrolled in Skip Barber MX-5 race school