Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enrolled in Skip Barber MX-5 race school

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:06 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the three day formula school and two cars got together when one driver "forgot there was a corner", didn't brake and slammed into another car.

Skippy deemed that the victim car should have seen it coming in his mirrors and avoided contact and he was charged a portion of the damage to his car, the bowling ball driver was charged for her car and the rest of the victim car...I'd buy insurance, because these schools attract all kinds, some who aren't paying their own bills.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by TRWright
Mind sharing the 30% off code?
SBLABOR30. The code supposedly expired last Friday, but they honored it for me yesterday.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by facelvega
Which track are you headed to? "Safe" tracks = lots of runoff, may need insurance less. Tracks with walls everywhere (Sebring, WG) insurance sounds better. Since you do not have to commit until the morning of the first day, you can look at weather, too. Rainy days = more off track fun.

Did the 3-day in MX-5 at Laguna Seca last year, which I would consider a "safe" track. In great weather, one student collected a wall at speed in 6. He did not get the insurance, and looked very unhappy after the school was over. I took the insurance specifically because I wanted to push outside my comfort zone, and did not want anything holding me back. Had a few offs, no damage. It was worth it to me...
Sebring, where I have a lot of experience. This track SUCKS in the rain! Should be low chance of rain in December.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwane
Wait,wait,wait.....you balled up 2 cars?
First of all, let's get it straight, wrecked is different than balled.

Wrecked can be fixed, balled cannot......

I read the Carl Lopez book "Going Faster" before the course and he stated in the book that the downhill at LRP can be taken flat out in those formula cars......

Who was I to question him?

I tried it twice with two different cars during the course, and obviously I have must have been a bit too early, run out of track, pinched it to keep it on track and spun in the tire wall to the right.....

Broke axels on both cars, no biggie, they just brought me another one until I got it right.....

Mark have fun and report back.....
Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
When I did the program back in 2006, the insurance coverage was included in cost of the program.....

I did unfortunately wreck two of their formula cars during the program, but they just kept on bringing me another fresh one to hop on to......

Moral of the story, if the insurance in not included in the cost of the racing program definetely buy it and really enjoy what they teach you at the fullest.......
Twice!? Wow...I'd like to hear that story.
We need sponsors like that.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:31 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Mark: I bought the Insurance for the two formula schools I did at Sebring several years back, and a more recent school at Road Atlanta. We did have a total at the RA event and I heard the bill was just under $50k. I don't know what the Miata would have cost compared to the formula car. Mike
Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the 3-day in MX-5 at Laguna Seca last year, which I would consider a "safe" track. In great weather, one student collected a wall at speed in 6.

Which wall at Turn 6/Laguna? There's a LOT of gravel to get thru before you'd hit a wall. Turn 5 maybe?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:32 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_C4S
Which wall at Turn 6/Laguna? There's a LOT of gravel to get thru before you'd hit a wall. Turn 5 maybe?
Nope, he lifted at the dip at the apex, back came around and he ended up sideways into the inside wall. Lesson was to commit to throttle and stay on....he will remember next time!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:50 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mark

i did panoz at RA yrs ago before skip bought them out and one of the guys totalled the car and had to pay out of pocket.........

buy the insurance

fyi i dont buy track insurance for DE on my own car but i know my car better ....but if and when i do another racing school i will...

mk
Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
First of all, let's get it straight, wrecked is different than balled.

Wrecked can be fixed, balled cannot......

I read the Carl Lopez book "Going Faster" before the course and he stated in the book that the downhill at LRP can be taken flat out in those formula cars......

Who was I to question him?

I tried it twice with two different cars during the course, and obviously I have must have been a bit too early, run out of track, pinched it to keep it on track and spun in the tire wall to the right.....

Broke axels on both cars, no biggie, they just brought me another one until I got it right.....

Mark have fun and report back.....
BALLER
Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Twice!? Wow...I'd like to hear that story.
We need sponsors like that.
Paolo, You should come down to Tremblant with Rick and Dave for Rennsports last DE of the season. Tell us your stories over a few cold Canadian beer.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwane
BALLER

Paolo, You should come down to Tremblant with Rick and Dave for Rennsports last DE of the season. Tell us your stories over a few cold Canadian beer.
I would love to, but I doubt it will be possible, too many other committments......maybe next season.....

Tremblant brings back pleasant memories from my past...... having monsieur Rouleau as my "personal" instructor as the renegade from Boston came up for the first time to a Canadian track .....although,

I owe it all to Bob R. for "sticking his neck out" and recommending me to PCA club racing......

Quick Reply: Enrolled in Skip Barber MX-5 race school