Sponsored by:

Road America Recap

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Awesome event, thanks to all who worked hard to make it happen!!
Ditto, the Chicago folks put on a great event.

Those of us running in the DE sessions enjoyed both the track and watching all the action in the 3 CR run groups.

CR and DE combos are some of the best P-car watching events to attend. Throw in a great track like RA and the overall weather for the a long weekend, what's not to like.

Last edited by Kein_Ersatz; 09-05-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 PM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this works...

Here is my in car video from the yellow enduro. You'll see a couple of laps from the end the rear suspension causes problems into turns 5 and 7 before ultimately failing in Canada corner.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 PM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

Not sure if the video in the previous post works so trying a link...

Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KMR RSR 001
I hope this works...

Here is my in car video from the yellow enduro. You'll see a couple of laps from the end the rear suspension causes problems into turns 5 and 7 before ultimately failing in Canada corner.

Sweet ride but no video.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:17 PM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

I had an amazing time! Lots of fun for a first race in the G car. Had some minor issues all weekend. First of all, Hoosier overnighted me only 3 out of 4 of my rain tires. Their customer service was so deplorable that I wont even begin to touch on it here..... so I sat out the second sprint which was raining.

The first sprint went well, but would have been more fun if Doug had not suffered from car troubles. I got a great start and got into first place and was wondering what was wrong with Doug as he was fast all weekend, but he suffered from brake issues and had retired early.

The enduro qualifying was a mess. We had put on new brakes and a fresh set of rubber and the car shook so violently I couldnt read my dash. After pulling off the track on the second lap of qualifying, my mechanic sent me back out to at least put down a time. I went a 33.6 but with the car shaking uncontrollably (that was the session i was certain I could have had car into a low-mid 32s). It started me 5th in the enduro overall and 2nd in class. After some battles I was able to get the car to second overall (still second in class bc Doug Crossman is the man). Sadly I ended up with some terrible brake problems and fell back to 5th overall (had two nasty spins, one in eight and one in canada corner when the car simply wouldnt stop). My brakes went from completely fresh to pad backing in one enduro (pagid blacks). Being my first weekend in the car im not sure how that is possible other than there is an issue someplace in the brake system (or pagid blacks dont work well with my car and driving style).

I had so much fun and met a bunch of new people. Looking forward to working some kinks out of the car and being back next season!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark: I'll be at both the September and October Sears Point events. Jeff usually brings a group down for the October event, so convincing him to truck the car(s) down may not be a difficult job.

I'll try and get my video uploaded tonight. The two sprint races should be fun to watch.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:59 PM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

OK, I'm planning on being there at the end of October. KM will work on getting the "to do" list complete and then the car will be transported to Sears Point. Jeff/Rothsport will look after me for the weekend and then install the BIG motor when they get the car back to the shop...
Old 09-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Big motor? A 3.8 isn't big enough? Will look forward to seeing you then.

Please note this is a NASA event and you'll need to do a little to get the paperwork done (assuming you don't have a NASA license or log book for the car). I'll ask what you need to do for the license. Jeff should be able to handle the annual tech inspection and log book parts.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

What dates in October??
Old 09-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

The PRC/NASA Porsches at the Point event at Sears Point on Oct 25-27. It's our annual final race weekend for the season.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:03 AM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

Paul/Kim lets do it! We can arrange logistics to get all 3 cars to the West Coast. Rothsport will be there and can look after us for the weekend
Old 09-06-2013, 12:05 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that we did this event a few years ago.
Was a blast-great dinner at the track, live music, etc.
I assume there's still a noise restriction? Could be a real problem for us.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Noise limit at Sears Point is 103 db. No race engines before 8 am or after 6 pm.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Road America is such a special place. For me, it makes Watkins Glen feel like a "safe" club track. It's just soooo fast. The braking and downshifting into Turn 5 and Canada are so hard to nail correctly every time. And the Carousel and Kink really separate the men from the boys. And evidently, I am just a boy.

Last weekend, I took almost 3 seconds off of my personal best there but it mattered little. This race looked as close to an E class "national championship" as it gets on the PCA schedule. 30 E class cars in the Sprints, 27 in the Enduro. And not a lot of fluff either. Hupfer did what he does and laid down another 34 but there were 5-6 other guys on his heels with 35s and 36s. Mercy...

Our race group got lucky with three dry races (slight drizzle towards the end of Sprint 2). For the most part I saw good clean racing. The rescue crews there are a bit crazy though. There was a waving yellow as a tow truck removed a car in the gravel in Canada for several laps. They were only a few feet off the pavement (if at all) and right in the middle of the runoff. Man I didn't want to pull a "Montoya" there...

And Elkhart Lake is really fun too. Siebkens, the Tiki Bar, good restaurants, etc. Thanks a lot to the Chicago Region. It's just a great weekend all around... I'm looking forward to next year already!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:52 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Noise limit at Sears Point is 103 db. No race engines before 8 am or after 6 pm.
103 is rough. i think that eliminates most o fthe 996 and 997 cups, for sure the gt2 cars. not sure my gt3S cayman would pass 103. it might be she'd be close i dont think a 997 cup with stock exahust will meet 103.

Quick Reply: Road America Recap