Road America Recap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road America Recap

Had a great time at my first visit to Road America! Was nice to meet Mark (and his dad), Paul and Kim, among others. You folk need to make the trek out to CA to run some time (a Sears Point event would be my recommendation - and our season finale is coming up Oct 26 & 27).

I gave the Jerry Woods guys a hard time (with a smile) about supporting the competition to try and get you back up and running well. I would have rather seen you out on track than not. I hope the issues get resolved quickly (and cheaply).

I'd never run in the rain before and I've got to say that was a great deal of fun! My most enjoyable moment was passing a cup car on the outside in the carousel in the wet. That felt great after having them pass me on the straights all the time on the two previous days. (Boy, did I crave more horsepower all weekend.)

A lot more carnage than I'm used to seeing. I think in the 3 races, each one had at least 5 cars go off and be unable to continue. I think I counted 8 different yellows for dead cars in the first sprint race.

All in all a very enjoyable weekend, I hope to do it again some time.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Tom
Glad you had fun!
Awesome event, thanks to all who worked hard to make it happen!!
Someone oiled track from 5-pit in during sprint 1.

4 incidents on same lap in 4 different places.

Apparently driver didn't see corner workers flagging him but came into black flag when he discovered he didn't have oil pressure...
Old 09-03-2013, 01:05 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice work Tom! Road America is awesome.. did you guys get any dry running time?

-mike
Old 09-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike: Yes, first sprint on Sunday was dry (second was wet) and the enduro was dry. Thanks for the data you sent Rich. In the enduro, Rich and Paul finished 3rd in class and Rich and I finished first (class attrition, I was the only one to finish).
Old 09-03-2013, 01:26 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some videos
Old 09-03-2013, 02:24 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Mike: Yes, first sprint on Sunday was dry (second was wet) and the enduro was dry. Thanks for the data you sent Rich. In the enduro, Rich and Paul finished 3rd in class and Rich and I finished first (class attrition, I was the only one to finish).
Excellent! Congrats on the podiums... a win is a win!

-mike
Old 09-03-2013, 05:32 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great meeting you Tom. We've been pondering a West Coast swing one of these years- haven't been to Sears for several years. If Gamroth does an East Coast swing next year with Mark Wyman, maybe we'll reciprocate the following year.
Nice drive in the rain race!
As you know, bad weekend for us- I had an issue with 2nd gear popping out from lap 1, and they chased a fuel pickup issue with Kim's car, got her out for the 2nd sprint, and a loud bang and her 'box siezed. Maybe I should have reworded that last part...
As well, we had VR coaching us on Saturday, but with neither car running didn't work out very well. Next time, Dave!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
a loud bang and her 'box siezed. Maybe I should have reworded that last part...

As well, we had VR coaching us on Saturday, but with neither car running didn't work out very well. Next time, Dave!
ROFL!

Yeah, I hear ya, Paul... Definitely sucked for you guys, we will do it right next time when the cars are 100%.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

My car ran great at Mid Ohio. Did not touch it in between. Rolled it off trailer and had a miss that I chased until the first sprint race and gave up. Got home early. Last two trips to Road America total washouts. Not one green flag lap in either trip. I don't think I'm going back.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Nice meeting you Tom. Love your car. Enjoyed Jerry giving me the tour of your GTL and the spec 911 that your team brought.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome race in sprint #1 Cory. You two drove very hard and clean.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:48 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Had a great time out there myself; first time ever at the track. Loved the track, the area and the people up there in Elkhart Lake. Thanks to the Chicago PCA for an extremely well run event! A special word of thanks and praise goes out to Chris, Jerry and the boys from EPE for helping me to a 9th place overall and 2nd in class in the purple enduro.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Well-done, michael! Nice to see you!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Well-done, michael! Nice to see you!!!
Thanks Dave! Great hanging with you also.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:40 PM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

This was our second race meeting with the car and an ongoing part of the development process. We were plagued with an electrical/ECU problem Friday thru Sunday which we finally solved. So I was looking forward to the enduro on Monday for some quality time in the car. The warm up, qualifying and first 30 mins of the race went well. I managed to work my way up to a pretty good overall position with a best time of 2.20.1 (which I think is a GT3R record?) before a left rear upright failure meant the day was over. Its the same problem we had in testing a few weeks ago, likely caused by the toe link binding and snapping the lower shock mount ears off the upright.

I got some pretty good video and will post later when I figure out how to do so.

Tom is was great to meet and race with you. I am trying to make Sears point work with the family, Cup and/or RSR. Will you be there end September or end October?

Paul/Kim our showdown will need to wait until next time! Sears Point? I can probably talk Jeff G into it...

Last edited by KMR RSR 001; 09-11-2015 at 07:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Road America Recap