Sponsored by:

Don't piss off Mike Skeen's GF

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:36 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
The Sonoma round of Pirelli World Challenge aired this weekend, even though it occurred a week before all this truck business. Can anyone explain what happened with Mike Skeen there? He was black flagged for avoidable contact, stayed out, and eventually they stopped scoring him. $1000 fine and 20 driver points for the contact, $10,000 fine and loss of 9 positions for Failure to Obey the Chief Steward
The race is here: http://www.world-challengetv.com/#/races/834
The GT/GTS race starts 27:00 in, the replay of the contact is at 31:00.
Edit: Here's in-car from the Corvette, more context than the TV broadcast
The bump at the start of the race looks like a "racing incident", not melicious and you can hear that he backed out of the throttle. Also very cold tires at the start. If that is what he was black flagged for it's very ticky tac.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Mike's FB page:

The synopsis from Sonoma. We were penalized (in the middle of the race) for an incident on lap one. This incident did not cause a spin or any major damage. There were two other incidents on the first lap that DID cause spins, and there were no penalties for those. We chose to ignore the black flags and fight it afterwards, but were disqualified.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Just watched the race. How they penalize Skeen and not Pilgrim who pushed Pobst out of the way and O'Connell who f'd up a dive bomb and took out the GTS leader is beyond me. He should have come in for the flag but the flag should never have been thrown IMO. Not sure that decision was Skeens anyway. Seems like the team decided to stay out.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:25 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Just watched the race. How they penalize Skeen and not Pilgrim who pushed Pobst out of the way and O'Connell who f'd up a dive bomb and took out the GTS leader is beyond me. He should have come in for the flag but the flag should never have been thrown IMO. Not sure that decision was Skeens anyway. Seems like the team decided to stay out.
I agree, the black flag at Sonoma was BS, it shouldn't have been called (and a few others should have that weren't, as you mentioned).

that said I cannot recall a single incident in professional road racing where ignoring a black flag for half a race worked out in the team or driver's favor.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:36 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched the race on YouTube. Skeen got screwed! There was much more questionable contacts in the first laps that cost others much more. He hit the Audi but it only lost two spots. The second place car got spun in the first corner and it cost him probably 15, with no penalty. The calls were not consistent.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Although I don't think it was Skeen's fault in Sonoma, it certainly was at Watkins Glen, but in both instances, his "people" whether they are his crew not calling him in, his crew reaching inside Max Papis truck cab after the race or his girlfriend slapping the other driver, this guy is not someone sponsors are going to want to associate themselves with in the least. If he wants to race pro, act like you've been there before.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Although I don't think it was Skeen's fault in Sonoma, it certainly was at Watkins Glen, but in both instances, his "people" whether they are his crew not calling him in, his crew reaching inside Max Papis truck cab after the race or his girlfriend slapping the other driver, this guy is not someone sponsors are going to want to associate themselves with in the least. If he wants to race pro, act like you've been there before.
Aside from the girlfriend thing I still can't see how you pin the crew chief's decision or the team owner's decision or whoever made that decision on Skeen. He's just there to drive. He's not running the show. And he has been racing professionally for several years now in WC and Trans Am.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:39 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Aside from the girlfriend thing I still can't see how you pin the crew chief's decision or the team owner's decision or whoever made that decision on Skeen. He's just there to drive. He's not running the show. And he has been racing professionally for several years now in WC and Trans Am.
I'm not pinning it on Skeen, but you are who you roll with. Gotta keep your bros and hoes in check,

I don't know the names of the crew, but I now know Skeen's name for all the wrong reason.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,834 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Ignoring the black, for whatever reason, causes the driver not to continue to be scored. I think this is more an issue than the cause of the black flag...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
I'm not pinning it on Skeen, but you are who you roll with. Gotta keep your bros and hoes in check,

I don't know the names of the crew, but I now know Skeen's name for all the wrong reason.
Yes. And that's too bad. He's a genuinely talented driver.

Quick Reply: Don't piss off Mike Skeen's GF