Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ALMS Baltimore

oopsy daisy

Old 08-31-2013, 07:39 PM
Tim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are those stupid tire barriers doing in the center of the track? The genius that thought that it was a good idea should already be looking for a new job.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

that chicane is there to slow cars down prior to going over a set of light rail tracks; without that, cars would be airborne at high speed in a concrete tunnel.

now the better argument would be, why are they racing on a track that includes a rail crossing...
Old 08-31-2013, 10:02 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, that chicane is absolutely ridiculous. Although it appears that during the race the chicane is purely optional...
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 PM
SWO
Intermediate

That killed the race - Patrick Long out in the first lap. About a 45 min delay to the restart of the race. The track isn't great, but enjoyed the day at the Grand Prix with the corrals, GT3 Cup race, Indy Qualifying, and the eventual ALMS race.

My 5 year old son told me it was the "best day ever"
Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SWO
we have a fan for life
Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SWO
That's awesome!!! I took my 13YO daughter to the Indy car race at Pocono earlier this summer and let's just say that she was less than impressed...
Old 09-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Old 09-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

A lot of the drivers consider this their favorite track. The chicane was added last year just before the ALMS race after cars were indeed going airborne. This year the tire barriers are much shorter. And I believe there was supposed to be a penalty for missing the chicane unless you did so to avoid an accident.

Porsche Platz was great yesterday, btw.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Tim
Racer

I saw the ABC broadcast of the race today while at the gym. Using a chicane like that was an idiotic idea on someones part. At one point in the race the trailing set of tires was knocked out of position, and not replaced. One of he commentators commented that with the tires out of place that the chicane worked better...

One solution to the light rails would have been temporarily pave over the tracks and reprofile the road in that location. Then remove the temp asphalt prior to returning the streets to public use.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:33 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Yeah, that chicane is absolutely ridiculous. Although it appears that during the race the chicane is purely optional...
God, I was cringing watching those guys (and Simona--5th place!) bounce over that thing....
Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim
I saw the ABC broadcast of the race today while at the gym. Using a chicane like that was an idiotic idea on someones part. At one point in the race the trailing set of tires was knocked out of position, and not replaced. One of he commentators commented that with the tires out of place that the chicane worked better...

One solution to the light rails would have been temporarily pave over the tracks and reprofile the road in that location. Then remove the temp asphalt prior to returning the streets to public use.
I cannot for the life of me understand why they don't just do that. Go back far enough that you aren't creating a ramp and be done with it. There must be a reason they decided three years in a row not to pave it. Money? Restoration inconvenience?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 AM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A sad day for ALMS fans, so much carnage before start finish and then after 45mins they have to wave off the second green......OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 09-02-2013, 12:22 AM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Courtshark
A lot of the drivers consider this their favorite track. The chicane was added last year just before the ALMS race after cars were indeed going airborne. This year the tire barriers are much shorter. And I believe there was supposed to be a penalty for missing the chicane unless you did so to avoid an accident.

Porsche Platz was great yesterday, btw.
who says Baltimore is their favorite track? Street course for the most part are lame. Baltimore this week was lame for both ALMS and Indy. Both races were a joke. It looked like a demolition derby. I hope they drop this track from their schedule and stick to "Actual" race tracks. Worst racing I have seen in years.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:38 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

This "track" is a joke.

Quick Reply: ALMS Baltimore