HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Nizer is actually Dempsey.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the series overall was pretty good... There was tremendous "product placement" - such as the training scenes on his Specialized bike, or his comments around how great it was to drive a Porsche! But despite that, I think it accomplished it's purpose - raise money (now & future) for his brand.... Nothing wrong with that...

Apart from the racing, I was intrigued to learn of his real relationship with Tully Coffee as a spokesperson...

-B
Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Dempsey is listed in 2009 as being on a Ferrari team that finished 30th
You can look it up.
I stand corrected as a successful victim of his marketing machine. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-21-2013, 02:53 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Best part of Episode 1 - while on the "stage" speaking to the employees of one of his principal sponsors - "Blah, blah, blah... solar energy is important...... blah, blah, blah. I'm gonna go get drunk!"
Yes!
Old 09-21-2013, 02:56 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey if he helps get my wife to go with me to the races, great! Nice guy.

Name:  Dempsey.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  265.7 KB
Old 09-21-2013, 06:03 PM
michael lang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I'm surprised to see such a positive reaction here.

Most of my friends complained about how it was primarily about Dempsey crying about how hard it is to find sponsors. They said that the whole show seems a sponsorship gimmick- he can easily afford to pay for his racing like most of us do, we who have NO CHANCE of getting sponsors like he does, as we are not famous and idols to the opposite sex. When I do an IMSA race, it takes months of my income to cover it. Many feel that he should either pay for his racing, accept that sponsorship is very limited even though he has it easier than other drivers, or get fast enough to get paid for racing, like Patrick Long, etc.

A quote from a friend:

"... To come up 90k short and skip VIR. Why not reach into his pocket to pay that? Dempsey makes $350k every week for 24 weeks a year PLUS anything outside Grey's Anatomy. A WEEK. "

Just another viewpoint.
Sorry Mike, I think it was episode 2 that was primarily about sponsorship money and how the relationship went south with Mazda. It was in that episode that they said Dempsey did in fact dig into his own wallet to keep the team going so they could race. I think it was either the Road America race or it was MidOhio. I don't remember exactly which one it was but I remember being impressed that he had done that to keep the team at the track.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Adker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really enjoyed the series, seems like Joe Foster has been with him for some time. I never heard them say he never went to La Mans and it is a TV show after all.

In 2009, he raced a Team Seattle Advanced Engineering Ferrari F430 GT in the 2009 24 Hours of Le Mans's GT2 class, and finished ninth in class, 30th position.
2009 Italy Advanced Engineering, United States Team Seattle, Ferrari F430 GT2 ,LMGT2
Co-Drivers:
United States Don Kitch, Jr.
United States Joe Foster

2013 United States Dempsey Del Piero-Proton, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR LMGTE-AM
Co-Drivers
United States Joe Foster
United States Patrick Long

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Dempsey
Old 09-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Pat Long is one of the truly class guys of his generation. Glad to see him getting some positive face time in the final episode.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:57 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal
Pat Long is one of the truly class guys of his generation. Glad to see him getting some positive face time in the final episode.
Couldn't agree more. I really liked it when he was toss'n the paps out of the way.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:57 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by michael lang
Sorry Mike, I think it was episode 2 that was primarily about sponsorship money and how the relationship went south with Mazda...
He's been doing this for a while with some great driver support including Leh Keen...
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

the take away I got from the "documentary" was that even for someone with a lot of media attention it is still very difficult to get sponsorship for motor racing, specifically sports car racing.
Even as famous, long standing and successful as Brumos Racing has run into sponsorship problems.
There's a really interesting commentary in the latest issue of F1 Racing magazine talking about how the sponsor parties and events were way down in number at this year's Monaco race although the numbers of such events were apparently up at Singapore. The writer commented that it did not bode well for the future of F1 if sponsors were losing interest.
It's interesting that Dempsey/Del Pietro racing's principal sponsor was Tully Coffee, which Patrick was a partner in, until his recent litigation and settlement in August with Mike Avenatti, the guy who was supposed to be the third driver at Le Mans but was cut to be replaced by PL. As with amateur racing it would appear that many of the pro teams are funded by businesses owned by someone closely connected with the team.
With regard to the cost of doing Le Mans, I have it on fairly good authority that Robertson Racing spent $2M two years ago when they ran at Le Mans in their Ford GT. Essentially self funded by the Robertsons with absolutely no factory support from Ford - at least Dempsey got driver and technical support from Porsche in return for a ton of publicity for Porsche.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Poor Patrick Dempsey ..........
Old 09-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

He visited the PorschePlatz at COTA this past weekend. He was blown away by the packed crowd (who did not know he was coming) and their enthusiasm for Porsche. The folks who did the documentary stopped by the next day to say thank you and how impressed they were with PCAers and the Platz area.

I gave him a PCA window sticker. Told him it was light weight and may be a good luck charm for a podium finish....they finished 3rd.

btw, he is now a PCA member
Old 09-25-2013, 01:57 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Porsche people driving Mazda's , Mazda people driving Porsche's , whats this world coming to .........
Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal
Agreed. The sport would be in a much better place (on and off the track) if more of the Pro's were like Pat.

-mike

Quick Reply: Dempsey Le Mans